last mosconi spot

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cory or max. Cory has a better history of nine ball. Max has zen.
Did you hear about the Zen master who walked up to a hot dog vender and said make me one with everything.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Adapted form a previous post of mine.

As a refresher the Kremlin Cup, played in September, was a two stage tournament played in Russia, and the field was almost exclusively made up of the American Mosconi candidates and a few dozen Europeans, with Asia largely absent. It was won by Tyler Styer. The Dream Challenge, played just after the completion of the Kremlin Cup was a Team Russia vs Team USA event. It was won 10-7 by Team USA.

In the Kremlin Cup, Gorst beat Woodward 8-2 and Deuel 8-4. If Johan is paying attention, the Dream Challenge victory by Eberle over Gorst will be judged to be a very big deal. Corey's double hill loss to Gorst in the Dream Challenge should help his case.

The case for Deuel is growing weaker and weaker, as he was 0-2 in singles a year ago at the Mosconi , losing to Ouschan 5-3 and Feijen 5-1. He lost to Team Europe member Alex Kazakis at the last World 9-ball Championships by 11-8. At the US Open, Corey fell to Jayson Shaw 11-1 and lost 11-2 to Miesko Fortunski, another one of Europe's best. After the drubbing by Fedor Gorst in the Kremlin Cup, Corey probably has much to worry about, as he continues to show little ability to beat the stars of European pool.

As a fan of Team USA, I want the guys who can fight the good fight against the top Europeans. In the Kremlin Cup/Dream Challenge events. Eberle lost double hill to Ruslan Chinakhov and beat Fedor Gorst double hill. Max showed generally solid form for the entire Kremlin Cup event, too.

If we consider 2019 alone, it's really hard to justify picking Corey over Max if Johan is basing Mosconi selection on competitive performance. Corey just hasn't been getting it done against the top Europeans.

I see Deuel on the outside looking in as far as Mosconi selection, but a solid effort at the International would change everything. If Corey's play is ordinary at the International but he's picked anyway we'll know that Max Eberle's inclusion in the matches of the last couple of weeks was merely for show and that Corey was always going to be selected.

All of that said, it would be great if Corey rediscovered his form at the International, and I think he'll need to play well against a top European player to redeem himself.

Sending in-form players to the Mosconi has always been the winning formula for Team Europe, which has dominated the past decade of the event. Hopefully, Team USA will do the same.

Last edited:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I had no faith in Deuel before he played and my thoughts were justified.

I don't watch a lot of pro pool but what I have, that guy has never impressed me as a top tier player.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't watch a lot of pro pool but what I have, that guy has never impressed me as a top tier player.
Seriously?? Look-up his record. It stands on its own. Everybody has off days.

YoungAtHeart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Adapted form a previous post of mine.

As a refresher the Kremlin Cup, played in September, was a two stage tournament played in Russia, and the field was almost exclusively made up of the American Mosconi candidates and a few dozen Europeans, with Asia largely absent. It was won by Tyler Styer. The Dream Challenge, played just after the completion of the Kremlin Cup was a Team Russia vs Team USA event. It was won 10-7 by Team USA.

In the Kremlin Cup, Gorst beat Woodward 8-2 and Deuel 8-4. If Johan is paying attention, the Dream Challenge victory by Eberle over Gorst will be judged to be a very big deal. Corey's double hill loss to Gorst in the Dream Challenge should help his case.

The case for Deuel is growing weaker and weaker, as he was 0-2 in singles a year ago at the Mosconi , losing to Ouschan 5-3 and Feijen 5-1. He lost to Team Europe member Alex Kazakis at the last World 9-ball Championships by 11-8. At the US Open, Corey fell to Jayson Shaw 11-1 and lost 11-2 to Miesko Fortunski, another one of Europe's best. After the drubbing by Fedor Gorst in the Kremlin Cup, Corey probably has much to worry about, as he continues to show little ability to beat the stars of European pool.

As a fan of Team USA, I want the guys who can fight the good fight against the top Europeans. In the Kremlin Cup/Dream Challenge events. Eberle lost double hill to Ruslan Chinakhov and beat Fedor Gorst double hill. Max showed generally solid form for the entire Kremlin Cup event, too.

If we consider 2019 alone, it's really hard to justify picking Corey over Max if Johan is basing Mosconi selection on competitive performance. Corey just hasn't been getting it done against the top Europeans.

I see Deuel on the outside looking in as far as Mosconi selection, but a solid effort at the International would change everything. If Corey's play is ordinary at the International but he's picked anyway we'll know that Max Eberle's inclusion in the matches of the last couple of weeks was merely for show and that Corey was always going to be selected.

All of that said, it would be great if Corey rediscovered his form at the International, and I think he'll need to play well against a top European player to redeem himself.

Sending in-form players to the Mosconi has always been the winning formula for Team Europe, which has dominated the past decade of the event. Hopefully, Team USA will do the same.

With all due respect, I think you are being selective with regard to the previous matches CD and ME have played.
Who did ME lose to at the WC and US Open?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
With all due respect, I think you are being selective with regard to the previous matches CD and ME have played.
Who did ME lose to at the WC and US Open?

Max didn't play in the World 9-ball championships in 2018, but in the US Open he won two, lost two and didn't play against either Corey or a top European. Deuel, similarly, won two and lost two, but was crushed 11-1 by Shaw of Scotland and 11-2 by Fortunski of Poland.

I am not aware of a matchup between Corey and Max this year. If you know of one, let me know.

The point I've made, with many, many examples is that Corey has been bombing against the top European players for a year now. If that's what you're looking for on Team USA, he's your guy. Max hasn't dominated the top Europeans either, but his track record against them outshines Corey, who just can't seem to beat them.

Corey has had a hall of fame career and it would be a wonderful story if he finds his hall of fame form at the International, because an in-top-form Corey would help Team USA more than having Max Eberle on the team. I'll be rooting for this to happen, but unless he plays well at the International, Corey's selection would be puzzling, at least to me.

Wishing both Corey and Max the best of luck in chasing down that last spot.

YoungAtHeart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Max didn't play in the World 9-ball championships in 2018, but in the US Open he won two, lost two and didn't play against either Corey or a top European. Deuel, similarly, won two and lost two, but was crushed 11-1 by Shaw of Scotland and 11-2 by Fortunski of Poland.

I am not aware of a matchup between Corey and Max this year. If you know of one, let me know.

The point I've made, with many, many examples is that Corey has been bombing against the top European players for a year now. If that's what you're looking for on Team USA, he's your guy. Max hasn't dominated the top Europeans either, but his track record against them outshines Corey, who just can't seem to beat them.

Corey has had a hall of fame career and it would be a wonderful story if he finds his hall of fame form at the International, because an in-top-form Corey would help Team USA more than having Max Eberle on the team. I'll be rooting for this to happen, but unless he plays well at the International, Corey's selection would be puzzling, at least to me.

I'm European, but also a pool fan. The best result for me would be for a close competitive Mosconi Cup (With a European win of course).
Agreed that Corey lost to 2 monsters at the US Open, but so would of most other players.
I believe a Corey playing well is better than a Max playing his best.
It rally is a tough decision.
I know it now seems impossible, my choice to walk out into a Mosconi Cup arena and have the best chance of winning a point, excluding the 4 already chosen, is Justin Bergman.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm European, but also a pool fan. The best result for me would be for a close competitive Mosconi Cup (With a European win of course).
Agreed that Corey lost to 2 monsters at the US Open, but so would of most other players.
I believe a Corey playing well is better than a Max playing his best.
It rally is a tough decision.
I know it now seems impossible, my choice to walk out into a Mosconi Cup arena and have the best chance of winning a point, excluding the 4 already chosen, is Justin Bergman.

Turns out we see things pretty much the same … other than who we'll be rooting for, of course!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You’ve shown that Corey has a poor record against Euros this year, but you haven’t shown that Max has a good one, and (unfortunately) that’s the choice. I think it would be interesting if they delayed their last pick until after the International Open, but my guess is they’ll be announcing in a couple hours.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious as to how Eberle came to be strongly considered for the team. I understand he beat Bergman in competition to be considered, but there are several players that should have been invited that would have offered more to the team in terms of talent and would be favored in a match against Eberle: Roberts, Dechaine, Archer, Oscar, Earl, Hatch, Morris, etc. I know some of these guys don't play that regularly any more in pro tournaments but they'd still be favored. Perhaps they were invited and declined, I don't know all the details.

Corey Deuel is certainly a better player than Eberle. However, in a short race anything can happen. Maybe Eberle is better prepared mentally for that. Who knows?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
You’ve shown that Corey has a poor record against Euros this year, but you haven’t shown that Max has a good one, and (unfortunately) that’s the choice. I think it would be interesting if they delayed their last pick until after the International Open, but my guess is they’ll be announcing in a couple hours.

That would be greatly disappointing, and, in my view, a bit disturbing.

Directly quoted from the AZB Headline News article in which Thorpe's selection was announced:

At 23-years-old, Thorpe is the youngest member of the team and will join Shane Van Boening, Skyler Woodward and Tyler Styer in Las Vegas. Corey Deuel and Max Eberle will battle it out for the fifth and final place on the team, with Coach Ruijsink and Vice-Coach Jeremy Jones to make that decision after the International Open.

Hence, immediate selection of the final team member would be an unexpected turn of events.

… sounds like you know something, but I hope you're wrong.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope Max makes it. If nothing else for the reason that any interviews he gives may totally freak-out/shock the Euros. ;) Seriously, Max has dedicated his life to the game and i for one would love to see him play. He showed some balls over there in Russia.

Last edited:

Klink

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious as to how Eberle came to be strongly considered for the team. I understand he beat Bergman in competition to be considered, but there are several players that should have been invited that would have offered more to the team in terms of talent and would be favored in a match against Eberle: Roberts, Dechaine, Archer, Oscar, Earl, Hatch, Morris, etc. I know some of these guys don't play that regularly any more in pro tournaments but they'd still be favored. Perhaps they were invited and declined, I don't know all the details.

Corey Deuel is certainly a better player than Eberle. However, in a short race anything can happen. Maybe Eberle is better prepared mentally for that. Who knows?

I’d love to see Archer on the team. I watched him play near perfect pool a couple of months ago beating Rodney Morris 11-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Max's game was much tighter than Cory's in Russia...Cory seemed to be too loose with the CB, and just flat out didn't play as well as any of the others, Max included. I'm rooting for Max--I'd love to see Cory make the team and I won't be bummed, but I think Max is hitting a gear now and I'd really love to see someone closer to my age make the team...:)

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Max's game was much tighter than Cory's in Russia...Cory seemed to be too loose with the CB, and just flat out didn't play as well as any of the others, Max included. I'm rooting for Max--I'd love to see Cory make the team and I won't be bummed, but I think Max is hitting a gear now and I'd really love to see someone closer to my age make the team...:)

Aren't max and corey basically the same age?
Edit: Nope Max has him by 5 years (1972, vs 1977)

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would be greatly disappointing, and, in my view, a bit disturbing.

Directly quoted from the AZB Headline News article in which Thorpe's selection was announced:

At 23-years-old, Thorpe is the youngest member of the team and will join Shane Van Boening, Skyler Woodward and Tyler Styer in Las Vegas. Corey Deuel and Max Eberle will battle it out for the fifth and final place on the team, with Coach Ruijsink and Vice-Coach Jeremy Jones to make that decision after the International Open.

Hence, immediate selection of the final team member would be an unexpected turn of events.

… sounds like you know something, but I hope you're wrong.
Oh, no I hadn't seen that press release, I was just going on the fact that they were announcing the other picks every day.

I also didn't know that Billy was younger than Tyler, so what do I know?

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree with this, but, I'll take him over the flat earth Charles Bronson look a like.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
WOW - Max is at 246 on the AZ Money list, what's going on!?!?!?!?!?!

Max rarely competes, but that does make one wonder on what grounds he was offered a chance to compete for inclusion in the process. So far, though, he has played well enough to justify such consideration.

YoungAtHeart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was the Dream Challenge against Russia for?

Was is about helping to decide on the team selection for the Mosconi Cup?
Or was it about winning the contest and the prize money?

If it was the latter. Then you would expect the coach to play his strongest team.
So would that explain why, from memory, Max was only picked for 1 singles match and 1 doubles match. Whilst Corey played in the opening team match, a singles match, and 3 doubles matches.

If it was about helping to decide team selection for the Mosconi Cup, then I think Max was not given an equal opportunity to show his talents as the others.