No chance for Frost. Harsh reality

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
This is turning into an epic marathon. I think the level of play is improving daily. They both played very well yesterday imo. When Scott keeps his emotions in check he is a much better player. Alex looked particularly sharp almost all day. He is getting serious now (no more fun and games), as he sees he's in a real battle for supremacy.

I would compare this in pool to the Heavyweight Championship of the World, this match might mean more to them then winning a DCC title. Whoever wins will be known for awhile as number 1 until someone comes and takes that away and the other guy will be second best which be second best out of something in a world of 7 billion people is nothing to be ashamed of.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Close score doesn't mean close match

A close score doesn't mean it's a close match.

While a final score of 68-60 looks close...it isn't. There is a winner and a loser. That is it. That is all that matters.

One person (Alex) made up his mind before this match that the only acceptable outcome was a win. Scott wanted to win, but it seems he is satisfied to put up a good fight and prove he's "about evenly matched". But while he may keep up with Alex for a while, that is as far removed from winning as Heaven from Earth.

Winning is winning. Losing is losing. Doesn't matter if it's 8-0 or 1,008-1,000. Anyone that is satisfied with losing with a close score doesn't have the same level of win, and simply isn't in the same class.

I agree with the original poster that Scott has no chance. I think he plays the game close to as well as Alex, but he can't WIN against Alex. Beyond that what else matters?

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A close score doesn't mean it's a close match.

While a final score of 68-60 looks close...it isn't. There is a winner and a loser. That is it. That is all that matters.

One person (Alex) made up his mind before this match that the only acceptable outcome was a win. Scott wanted to win, but it seems he is satisfied to put up a good fight and prove he's "about evenly matched". But while he may keep up with Alex for a while, that is as far removed from winning as Heaven from Earth.

Winning is winning. Losing is losing. Doesn't matter if it's 8-0 or 1,008-1,000. Anyone that is satisfied with losing with a close score doesn't have the same level of win, and simply isn't in the same class.

I agree with the original poster that Scott has no chance. I think he plays the game close to as well as Alex, but he can't WIN against Alex. Beyond that what else matters?

Maybe why alex came up with the 25 and Scott didn't ?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I would compare this in pool to the Heavyweight Championship of the World, this match might mean more to them then winning a DCC title. Whoever wins will be known for awhile as number 1 until someone comes and takes that away and the other guy will be second best which be second best out of something in a world of 7 billion people is nothing to be ashamed of.

Nothing wrong with playing as well as Frosty did. Nothing to be ashamed of in bringing home a silver medal. Don't think there will be a long line to play Frosty even after this match ?

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
scott has hung in there but to be perfectly honest, the facts show that alex has been in the lead of the match for like 95% of it so it's hard to say that they're equal.

scott has done better on some days than others (day 2 for example) but this was the format they both came up with to determine who is better and with the way the match has gone, clearly alex is better unless scott can come with something huge today. even when everyone is cheering for scott and saying how he has shown so much heart to dig deep and win some games, it was really only to close down the lead, never to establish one for himself.

TheMadScientist

Justin Richardson
Silver Member
Alex has won 2 of the days, Scott has won 1 day, and they broke even one day. If Scott wins the 5th day by just a few games, I would say they are dead even.

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
Alex has won 2 of the days, Scott has won 1 day, and they broke even one day. If Scott wins the 5th day by just a few games, I would say they are dead even.

if scott brings the score back to even then yes, but they're not keeping track by who wins more days, they're scoring who wins more games.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if scott brings the score back to even then yes, but they're not keeping track by who wins more days, they're scoring who wins more games.

Are you watching? I am and have from day 1. IMO, Alex is a better shot maker, but Scott traps better. Scott, as i said earlier needs to mix it up from all power one pocket to the Artie python stragle and force more marginal shots from Alex which he will take. Scott has made too many unforced errors by forcing all power 1P.

Now he is still down 4 and they are on break.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is great!! But definitely not definitive. If one or the other had won the 8 ahead in 2 or 3 days in a dominating manner that would have been definitive. Whatever happens now would almost make a rematch a toss up. JMO

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Alex is on the hill.

WOW! This has been some incredible play so far.

Will Alex win the first hill game?

7 ahead Alex......

JoeyA

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
on break, scott down 7, My last post may have been off by 1. Same on my other comments. Power 1P is neutralized by Alex, so mix it up, squeeze and suffocate an force errors, then run.

If they play another like this, I sat still u pick um

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
Are you watching? I am and have from day 1. IMO, Alex is a better shot maker, but Scott traps better. Scott, as i said earlier needs to mix it up from all power one pocket to the Artie python stragle and force more marginal shots from Alex which he will take. Scott has made too many unforced errors by forcing all power 1P.

Now he is still down 4 and they are on break.

I've watched a large part of it yes. The end result is hard to dispute. Alex blasted him last time so they set this up to determine who's the best. Scott has been behind the whole match and even admitted he wanted to call it off for the night when he got back to even briefly. Both guys have had their runs and highlights but the end result is that Alex beat him again not to mention all the tourneys he has recently won. Scott is top notch one pocket player but clearly, at least right now, Alex is better. There can be no excuses, the match was set up this way to determine who is the best and Alex won after leading virtually the whole match. Yea Scott has made mistakes but Alex made a bunch of mistakes too especially on the second day that could have put him up more.

The point is in a long set like this, both guys will make mistakes and both will make good runs. The match was set up this way and agreed to by both guys to see who is better. With 50k on the line, neither guy wants to lose. Who else is going to beat Scott 8 ahead? End result is Alex won anything else is just an excuse.

EDIT: scott wanted to call it off for the night (not the match) on the 4th day after getting back to even.

Last edited:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
definitive

I've posted < 300 times in 10 years. I don't feel strongly about much. But let me beat a dead horse here- this was ABSOLUTELY definitive.

I can understand how an intermediate player might see the play and the scores and infer it was close. It was NOT. Scott was NEVER a threat to win. EVER. And when Alex knows he's got a lock and will win, don't mistake his lack of urgency for lack of dominance. The only question was how long it would take.

Just my opinion here, but anyone that thinks this was close hasn't played big cash ahead sets.

Had this been a race to 50 Alex would've gotten an 8 game lead much more quickly.

By the way, if speed really mattered, just remember they were even yesterday at this time and Alex got 8 ahead since then. Scott got enough TV time to be satisfied, and Alex got tired of playing with his food.

Anyone that still thinks this is a toss up can get SICK odds from me if they play this format again.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I've watched a large part of it yes. The end result is hard to dispute. Alex blasted him last time so they set this up to determine who's the best. Scott has been behind the whole match and even admitted he wanted to call it off when he got back to even briefly.

Scott said he wanted to quit play for last night after he got back to even. I don't think he ever said he wanted to call off the match after he got back to even.

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
Scott said he wanted to quit play for last night after he got back to even. I don't think he ever said he wanted to call off the match after he got back to even.

ok i misunderstood then, but wasn't it predetermined that it'd go 8 hours? if it's predetermined how can he just want to quit the night? or was he saying that he just wanted to do it but knew he couldnt and never actually made the request? that was at like 2:30 and i already went to sleep.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well props to the Op he knew that Alex in the end would be to much .. Not like he went out on a limb because he was the favorite , but he called it
As I said earlier and this adds to that Alex may be the best all around player on the continent ,, in fact I don't think its a stretch to say he's the best all around player in the world , , and the bad news for everyone else is I think he's going to get better

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
A lot of people say Alex shoots straighter but Scott moves better.

I have to disagree with this.

Scott may "know" a few more shots than Alex but Alex has "FAR" better cueball control. Scott can dream up great shots, but he does not have the cueball control to actually get there a lot of the time.

Alex might not get as fancy as Scott, but when Alex wants to weld Scott to the back of a ball after coming off three rails Alex left Scott welded to the back of that ball almost every time.

At the end of the day Alex has the cueball on a string compared to Scott. As strong as his potting is Alex is equally dominant with his cueball control and that cueball control is a HUGE part of "moving".

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I've watched a large part of it yes. The end result is hard to dispute. Alex blasted him last time so they set this up to determine who's the best. Scott has been behind the whole match and even admitted he wanted to call it off for the night when he got back to even briefly. Both guys have had their runs and highlights but the end result is that Alex beat him again not to mention all the tourneys he has recently won. Scott is top notch one pocket player but clearly, at least right now, Alex is better. There can be no excuses, the match was set up this way to determine who is the best and Alex won after leading virtually the whole match. Yea Scott has made mistakes but Alex made a bunch of mistakes too especially on the second day that could have put him up more.

The point is in a long set like this, both guys will make mistakes and both will make good runs. The match was set up this way and agreed to by both guys to see who is better. With 50k on the line, neither guy wants to lose. Who else is going to beat Scott 8 ahead? End result is Alex won anything else is just an excuse.

EDIT: scott wanted to call it off for the night (not the match) on the 4th day after getting back to even.

I'll take Shane for $2,500 vs/ Scott even in the same format race to 8 ahead right now or the next 2 months. I love Scotts game - he moves balls so much better than anyone else - still dont think he can overcome the straight shooting.... get in line, you got action
Jason