Etiquette Question

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Just curious how others feel about an opponent who takes every opportunity he can to wipe the cue ball clean? I’m not referring to marking it and cleaning it in the middle of a game, but specifically between every game, even games in which the player may not be breaking.

This is something I do myself when either playing in a tournament here or playing a $ session. We generally play winner of the previous game racks their own and breaks, which gives an opponent ample time to wipe off the cue ball without holding up the breaker.

Personally, I guess I’m just spoiled and like a clean as possible cue ball. With chalk marks on the cue ball being the likely main cause of skids, My feeling is that it is not only the courteous thing to do for both players, but I also feel I have a right to try to clean the cue ball whenever I can, to prevent myself from potentially missing a key shot due to a skid. Opinions?

I've had a few people clean it between every game. I always thought it was a bit excessive, but it doesn't bother me. I've tried to skid proof my game as much as possible.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Me as well.

As a rule, mine are dry. But sometimes, you reach up in there, and start picking out a crusty one. Then as it starts to lift, it is pulling a mucus tail out of the nostril. You know those ones that are kind or firm near the crusty side, and almost watery at the tip.

Those are the kind that sometimes leave a big wet spot on your upper lip should you carelessly pull it out and let the mucus tail flop around.

Sometimes though, I get what I call glue boogers. Those are the ones that are almost like rubber cement, but they are wet and sticky at first.

You can usually roll those around for a while to dry them out, then have a nice hard little booger you can toss and listen for the landing. :thumbup:

Pretty sure you crossed the line into waaayy too much detail! It did remind me of the old days of working in the power plant or petro-chem. We used to take the glue off of a box flap to make a nice big artificial booger. Twist that into your mustache and walk around with it. Most will stare at it when talking to you but won't say anything! Used to be cheap entertainment right up there with pouring coffee on somebody from up high. When they look up all they see is somebody apparently tucking things away. When I was pushing some of those jobs I had green helpers come to me wanting to go home and change clothes.

This may all seem juvenile just because it is but just remember these are the same guys making sure the local nuke doesn't melt down! Gotta have a little fun sometimes.

Hu

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... these are the same guys making sure the local nuke doesn't melt down! Gotta have a little fun sometimes.

Hu
Finally, Chernobyl explained! And portions of The Simpsons are actually documentaries. :p Or maybe they all are.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Pretty sure you crossed the line into waaayy too much detail! It did remind me of the old days of working in the power plant or petro-chem. We used to take the glue off of a box flap to make a nice big artificial booger. Twist that into your mustache and walk around with it. Most will stare at it when talking to you but won't say anything! Used to be cheap entertainment right up there with pouring coffee on somebody from up high. When they look up all they see is somebody apparently tucking things away. When I was pushing some of those jobs I had green helpers come to me wanting to go home and change clothes.

This may all seem juvenile just because it is but just remember these are the same guys making sure the local nuke doesn't melt down! Gotta have a little fun sometimes.

Hu
Or....enjoy a slow day at the job. :)

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember watching Oliver Ortmann play in the US Open on the stream a few years back. He brought his own towel and cleaned the entire set of balls before racking. He did this every single time.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember watching Oliver Ortmann play in the US Open on the stream a few years back. He brought his own towel and cleaned the entire set of balls before racking. He did this every single time.
In some tournaments the tables are vacuumed after every match and each match starts with a freshly cleaned set of balls.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. I do it allot too mostly just out of habit at this point. No one has ever asked me not to. I don't play in tournaments, so I'm not sure how most would react under those circumstances. Unless you've been a victim of frequent cheating by people, seems a safe practice.
There was this guy I used to play that had skin like the inside of a Vaseline jar.
We'd play alternating breaks, and he'd always wipe his forehead with his palm before grabbing the cue ball.
I would go grab a bar towel and the bottle of Windex and clean the ball on my turn.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In some tournaments the tables are vacuumed after every match and each match starts with a freshly cleaned set of balls.
For a pro tournament, that should be the case for every tournament, every match, from opening round until the finals, without exception! Pro level players should play their tournament matches on absolute pristine conditions, just like they do in every other indoor and outdoor sport, weather permitting!

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if playing for a lot of money dont even think about altering any equipment during the game without permission. sure in a tournament if the rules allow of in a cheap or fun game. but then who cares.

The official act of ‘cleaning’ the CB is one thing, but If I’m breaking nine-ball, nobody is going to tell me I can’t wipe it on my shirt first! But along with that, my opponent also has every right to then examine my shirt if he wants to.