Handicapped Straight Pool League October 7th at Bayshore Billiards

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
On October 7th we are starting a Handicapped Straight Pool League at the New Bayshore Billiards in Long Island NY.

Practice starts at 7pm and play begins at 7:30pm

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to play, or have questions about the league.

Within 10 minutes of coming up with the start date we already have about 10 people signed up.

Thanks in advance, we'd love to hear from you !!!

-Steve

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Pete Tonkin of Tonkin Custom Cues is building us a cue which will be given away as one of the prizes for the fall season !!

http://www.tonkincustomcues.com

League starts October 7th, still time to sign up !!

We have 14 players signed up so far, should be a great season.

Hit me up if you're interested !!

-Steve

Last edited:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thumbs Up

Stevie...... Best of Luck to you and the League! Sounds like a really good thing and a great room on top of it to play out of. Try to post stats during the season so that we can keep track of the league.

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck!

On your new league, Steve. I'd love to join but I just can't do weekday nights with my work schedule...and I'm retired!

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
On your new league, Steve. I'd love to join but I just can't do weekday nights with my work schedule...and I'm retired!

Real sorry you won't be able to join is Gene, it should be a great season.

The new owner of Bayshore Billiards is making a lot of great improvements in the room, and I am glad to say that I am a part of it by running his 14.1 League !!!

Steve

tikkler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey

We are trying to make this a great place to hang your hat and relax with friends. Keeping the equiptment up to speed is a big part of what we are trying to do. Steve is starting up our first league, and I am glad he is on board with us. In the next few days I will post some pics of the room.
Steve
Tikkler.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
We are trying to make this a great place to hang your hat and relax with friends. Keeping the equiptment up to speed is a big part of what we are trying to do. Steve is starting up our first league, and I am glad he is on board with us. In the next few days I will post some pics of the room.
Steve
Tikkler.

You can not have a better man running your league than Steve.
When I come back home to visit on a vacation sometime in the future, I will be sure to stop in Bay Shore Billiards. Looking forward to meeting you & Steve & looking forward to the photos.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Steve
Tikkler.

Just love those those IN-PROGRESS pics of the cue that Pete Tonkin is building for us as 1st Prize.

I just cant wait to see the finished cue, so i can show it off !!!

Special thanks to Steve Piezner and Pete Tonkin for all you are doing to make this 14.1 League Happen !!

-Steve

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would love this in the North Boston Area (like in Malden MA)...

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Would love this in the North Boston Area (like in Malden MA)...

that would be too much of a Commute from Long Island for me to come and run it !!! LOL. LOL

Start up a league in the room you play in, I'm sure the room owner would love it. thats what i did !!

-Steve

Last edited:

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On October 7th we are starting a Handicapped Straight Pool League at the New Bayshore Billiards in Long Island NY.

Practice starts at 7pm and play begins at 7:30pm

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to play, or have questions about the league.

Within 10 minutes of coming up with the start date we already have about 10 people signed up.

Thanks in advance, we'd love to hear from you !!!

-Steve

Question: I was at Bayshore last week and found out Jimmy Cooney doesn't work there any more. I didn't ask why. He was so excited about working at Bayshore when House of Lords closed. Do you have any details?
BTW, I wish I could join but Tuesdays isn't good for me. I'm not very good, my handicap at Raxx is just 35!!

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Question: I was at Bayshore last week and found out Jimmy Cooney doesn't work there any more. I didn't ask why. He was so excited about working at Bayshore when House of Lords closed. Do you have any details?
BTW, I wish I could join but Tuesdays isn't good for me. I'm not very good, my handicap at Raxx is just 35!!

Yeah,

Coony doesn't work here anymore, I'm not really sure what happened.

Sad to here Tuesday's are no good for you, we are about half way through the regular season now. And then the playoffs.

We have A very mixed field of 14 players, and my guess is that next season might be bigger. Might have to have it 2 nights per week to accommodate more players.

The room owner lined up a Cue maker by the name of Manzino to build us a cue for next seasons winner.

-Steve
Tell Holden I said hello !

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve, would you care to describe your league briefly. How you handicap, fees, etc? If any adjustments are made during the league. I know of several different leagues here in Chicago and how they operate, would like to hear of others. I ran a small league (10players) and considering doing it again and looking for more ideas.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Steve, would you care to describe your league briefly. How you handicap, fees, etc? If any adjustments are made during the league. I know of several different leagues here in Chicago and how they operate, would like to hear of others. I ran a small league (10players) and considering doing it again and looking for more ideas.

Hey Rob,

i sent you a PM, give it a read and give me a hollar !!

I'll post some details later on this evening as to how the league is being operated.

thanks
-Steve

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
The length of our league season is based on the amount of players that we have.

This season we have 14 Players, so the regular season will be 13 weeks. This way everybody gets to play each other once.

After the 13 weeks we will have Play-Offs, where the top 5 placings qualify in and then a wild card. The wild card is determined by, finishing the league season and for each win that you have earned your name will go in a hat once (5 wins = 5 chances of being picked) i did this to encourage everyone to stay in through the season. rather than them quitting once they get to the point where they cant qualify.

the top 2 places get a Bye the first match of playoffs, tournament bracket used will be a 8 man bracket.

Handicaps were selected based on opinions that i have received about players abilities. that being said if i was off in the beginning then after the 2nd week of play i would make a bigger adjustment in their handicap.

Players handicaps go up or down each week depending on if they won or lost, at that point they would +/- 7%

Max game score are to 150, if a players handicap is higher than 150, then the difference comes off the opponents score goal. (ex. 175 - 100 = 150 - 75). it is a very mixed field so all handicaps have to play in the same bracket. we dont have enough players to split up the field into divisions. so for now it will have to be like this.

Inning are kept on paper, so i can use the over-all total BPI along with the wins to help resolve ties in the standings. i have built an excel spreadsheet so as i enter each players data each week, the standings change on the 2nd sheet to the spreadsheet. all i have to do is re-sort it by wins>bpi.

we have a lot of people interested in signing up next season, but we are limited to how many tables we have to use. so next season we may have to have the league on 2 nights during the week.

the fee for the league is $20 per week. $10 per player goes into the prize money, and $10 per player goes to the room to cover table time. Bayshore Billiards has been very generous to all of the league players in giving the players a special rate if they choose to keep playing on the equipment for the rest of the night.

Once i get permission from the players i will post up the standings for the league. right now we are 9 weeks in and have a few make-up matches still pending.

Hope all this makes sense and helps, as i mentioned in the PM Rob feel free to call me anytime.

-Steve

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Well the wait is over, here are some pictures of the cue that Pete Tonkin very generously built for us as 1st place..

Talk about a trophy !!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 229

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Here's the standings after 10 weeks of play.

View attachment STANDINGS - WEEK 10.pdf

The B.P.I. has the safety inning included, which isnt the propper way of doing B.P.I.
had to do it this way for the season since inning calculations were innacurate from the start. Next season i will make it so innings are calculated correctly.

There are still some Make-Up matches pending so the standings are not spot on.

-Steve

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Here's the standings after 11 weeks, still a few missing make-up matches pending.

The BPI has safety innings figured in, next season I have to revise the scoring method so Safeties are subtracted from the inning count so I can more accurately gauge players level of play.

Rankings are pretty tight with only 2 weeks to go before playoffs.

The top 5 players plus a Wild Card will go into the playoffs, which is a single elimination tournament. Should be a real good tournament in the end !!!

Steve

image.jpg