Strange success story

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was having trouble making balls at 14.1 practice so I decided to try
raising my head about 6 inches or so and then just look and shoot

i immediately started making most shots with ease,as far as aiming I stood behind the cue ball to get the picture then bending over and vaguely looking and shooting
I just looked,bent over and let fly

Never played so good,i think i was strictly, trusting myself and then watching the object ball go into the hole

Not only did I make lots of shots,but my stroke improved,ie I moved the cue ball effortlessly all up and down the table

I was able to put so much english on the ball that it seemed excessive

Now I have played over 60 years so I know this was different and positive
I have no idea why and don't know if there is a reason,but it would be nice to hear constructive comments
Dean

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Little confused by your story.
Could you post pictures?

That's messed up....LOL.

Dean, the "standing up" stance works better for my playing style. If it works it ain't broke. If you were using a Vigus cue that could be it too. We're you taking warm up strokes?

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not only did I make lots of shots,but my stroke improved,ie I moved the cue ball effortlessly all up and down the table

perhaps when you lower your head that last 6 inches, you are getting out of alignment (shot making) and crowding your arm? (spin/follow thru)

JasBy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had the same experience - trying now to dial in the appropriate amount of lift above the cue to maximize view without throwing my aim off. I think it allows me to look down the table more naturally without having to strain as much looking 'up' (for lack of a better term)

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a guy I've known for years who has a rather odd way of shooting. He bends over to shoot only far enough for his bridge hand to reach the table. On many shots it looks like he is almost standing up. He shoots very well with his old Hubler cue.

Mr. Bass Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find this interesting, my grandfather was a great player and from what I found out about his game(after being recognized as his grandson at a pool hall by people who knew and played him, I never really got to know him) he stood very upright while he shot. As I get older I feel more fatigue in the lower position which I believe takes away from my ability to focus in on the task, whereas the higher stance allows me clarity. Maybe something to it or just all in my head idk

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member

i immediately started making most shots with ease,as far as aiming I stood behind the cue ball to get the picture then bending over and vaguely looking and shooting

Never played so good,i think i was strictly, trusting myself and then watching the object ball go into the hole

I have no idea why and don't know if there is a reason,but it would be nice to hear constructive comments
Dean

I use a variable head height depending on the distance between the cue ball and object ball.
When they are close, my head is higher.
When they are far apart, my head is down close to the cue.
Can't argue with success. :)

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
It wasn't because you were all of a sudden doing something correctly that you haven't here-to-fore been doing. You were simply concentrating on making the shots. A more heightened sense of awareness. Don't worry. It will wear off soon and you'll be back to where you were before.
This sort of thing happens all the time in golf. :)

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you are right

Dean

Dean,
When I am playing my best I am up a little. When I am struggling I will get
too low and my chin will touch the cue. I have to make myself raise up.
when I get down too low my head will cock to the right and my right arm
can not move as smoothly. Also I see the angle better from up a little.
Years ago when Buddy was hanging around Times Square in Dallas he had
a real long bridge and his chin was touching the cue and he held the cue
at the very end. He played very good but he was not yet Buddy. I saw him in
his special room at Red Box place years later and he was up much higher
and looked like the Rifleman, much shorter bridge and had that stroke
(oh my GOD what a stroke). I asked him later about the change, and he
said as he got older he couldn't bend over as easily, and kind of smiled.
PLEASE he was in his 30s. And as they say the rest is history. But it
seems as if the snooker players are down with their chins on the cue
and the tables are harder and bigger, so now I'm more confused than
ever.
jack
Free SJD

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This could be a matter of alignment or a matter of new information input. Think of it like that movie about a major league pitcher wearing panties while on the pitching mound ... he wasn't thinking about the pitch because he was so distracted. You knew how to shoot all the time but the change in procedure made you think less about the shot and let muscle memory take over.

This is just my theory and could be completely wrong. :)

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I was having trouble making balls at 14.1 practice so I decided to try raising my head about 6 inches or so and then just look and shoot

Dean, in the main forum people typically post a Youtube video when discussing fundamental improvements.
For instance, 6-inches could be quite a bit if you're only 5 feet tall.
People need to know exactly how you raised up six inches.

If you need help, send me the video file, and I will upload it to Youtube.

Peace
Ted
:smile:

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what?

No photos, it didn't happen.

What part of his post does he need to post photos of.
Trouble making balls, that he raised his head, played better when he
raised up. What part are you questioning, he was just saying something
about what he experienced and was wanting to get some input on this.
He didn't claim that he ran 500 balls or anything. JESUS

jack
Free SJD

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
It wasn't because you were all of a sudden doing something correctly that you haven't here-to-fore been doing. You were simply concentrating on making the shots. A more heightened sense of awareness. Don't worry. It will wear off soon and you'll be back to where you were before.
This sort of thing happens all the time in golf. :)

True, There are days I am in dead stroke and think how does anybody ever miss
Then there are days it looks like I never played the game before
I think sometime we actually dont let our minds get in the way and our body performes the way we have taught it to IMHO

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many object balls have you pocketed over the last year? Decade? Lifetime?
How many hours have your eyes learned to focus on a contact/aim point shooting pool?

Dean, I think that when you had this experience, your subliminal pool player came out......you didn't even try or focus or aim.......you didn't figure out where to hit the object ball,
or how hard or how much English ....if any was even required.......Nope, you just knew how to play the shot......you knew where you wanted the cue ball to wind up.You just knew
how hard to strike the cue ball.........you've played that shot thousands and thousands of times.....year in and year out.......decades of muscle memory and a instinctive......."acquired
pool stroke you have worked so hard to perfect.

So in a matter of speaking, your inner mind went straight to auto pilot and your pool instincts took over when you played and especially after being frustrated from missing, this new
experience became exhilarating and reinforced your better play than when you were trying hard to figure out what was wrong..... open the flood gates, get on your raft and enjoy the experience.

Matt B.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that Matt hit the nail on the head with his analysis

Lets see if I can get similar results tomorrow

Funny thing I just got out of the hospital the night before so dizzy the firemen hauled me in

crazy time to fall in stroke

and before you say I got my chemistry ballanced,they gave me no drugs
Go figure

the free stroke was the best i ever had

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member

jack
Free SJD

Pretty sure he was trying to be funny with that post.
MULLY

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member

jack
Free SJD
Yep mullyman nailed it on the head. Jackpot, you see my new friend Dean has been selling pool cues on here for years without posting pictures of them. Others here weep and moan about it and beg for pictures.

Basically now of Dean farts someone will ask him to post a picture of it !

Come on Dean that may be one that looks the same out of focus. Congratulations on your improved shot making.