Cue grip wrap; Irish linen, natural wood, other?

Call_me_Tom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now I’m happy again! Very cool - I had no idea either.

Thanks ;-)

Glad I could help. It was the first time I had heard of the term or noticed the term.

Up until this point I just thought linen was wrapped tightly around the butt, I didn’t realize how much work and detail went into it.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer a no-wrap wood grip, then leather. Linen seems a little slick to me. Forget guys like At Large. He could have been helpful but his response seems needlessly snotty to me, and since the last poll was 3 years ago the occasional review doesn't hurt anything. I'm willing to bet the first time he used this site he didn't think to use the "search" function. I know I didn't. Jerks like him could be welcoming but they can't help themselves. I'm relatively new to the sport and have learned a lot on this site but I've also seen a lot of guys that are nasty and sarcastic, and many of them don't even know what they're talking about. Welcome to A-Z

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my hands sweat a lot when I play, so I prefer Irish linen on my cue. I am not a fan of those lizard skin wraps either, they look nice but I just can't get used to them.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I use Hockey Stick Wrap (Cloth Friction Tape) on my Slambonezi.

I was thinking of trying that no-slip grip tape they use on stair steps.
Might be a tad rough on the Skin?

Attachments

• AA2514D3-02ED-414E-8AA6-088E61D0E71F.jpeg
    AA2514D3-02ED-414E-8AA6-088E61D0E71F.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 0BC19FA1-939F-4512-9ED0-AF5DD0A88B05.jpeg
    0BC19FA1-939F-4512-9ED0-AF5DD0A88B05.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer a no-wrap wood grip, then leather. Linen seems a little slick to me. Forget guys like At Large. He could have been helpful but his response seems needlessly snotty to me, and since the last poll was 3 years ago the occasional review doesn't hurt anything. I'm willing to bet the first time he used this site he didn't think to use the "search" function. I know I didn't. Jerks like him could be welcoming but they can't help themselves. I'm relatively new to the sport and have learned a lot on this site but I've also seen a lot of guys that are nasty and sarcastic, and many of them don't even know what they're talking about. Welcome to A-Z

Thank you my friend! I’m glad to be here :)

Call_me_Tom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Hockey Stick Wrap (Cloth Friction Tape) on my Slambonezi.

I was thinking of trying that no-slip grip tape they use on stair steps.

Might be a tad rough on the Skin?

When I shot pistol competitions we used skateboard tape on our grips because of sweaty hands. I’d think that any type of sand tape would be to rough for a pool cue.

Call_me_Tom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm relatively new to the sport and have learned a lot on this site but I've also seen a lot of guys that are nasty and sarcastic, and many of them don't even know what they're talking about. Welcome to A-Z

I’ve observed the same.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I regret that you have so easily deemed me to be a jerk who made a snotty response (and possibly also someone who is nasty, sarcastic, and ignorant).

If you were to review my posting history, you might feel otherwise. I try to be helpful to new (and veteran) members frequently. I hope that in time you will feel that what you said above was just an unwarranted snap judgment.

In this thread, I was pretty sure that the OP would receive many responses by members giving their own personal preferences. So I decided to offer help in a different way. I remembered that polls had been done on this topic quite a few times, so I decided to list links to some of those polls so the OP could see how members have responded to this topic in the past. I was not trying to stifle anyone from saying whatever they would like to say on the topic currently.

Also, I wanted to develop a numerical answer to the OP's question (you might find that I do a lot of stuff with numbers here) by determining the percentage of members' prior poll votes that expressed a preference for wrapless cues. For that, I wanted quite a few polls, not just one or two. Stats are often better when they are based on bigger numbers. I posted that answer (post #7) not long after I posted the list of polls that formed the basis for the answer.

I see you were new to the sport and to this website just a couple years ago. I offer you a belated "welcome aboard." I'm pleased that you feel you have already learned a lot here, and I hope to see you participating in many threads in the future.

Last edited:

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check em out

Go to sports store, even Walmart has various cues of sorts. See what feels best. My fav is linen wrap.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Have there ever been custom cues made with hand cut checkering? Not the sharp, tight diamond point found on many firearms, but a less aggressive pattern that would provide some texture, allow the figure of the wood to remain uncovered and offer an artistic design unlike the norm?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have there ever been custom cues made with hand cut checkering? Not the sharp, tight diamond point found on many firearms, but a less aggressive pattern that would provide some texture, allow the figure of the wood to remain uncovered and offer an artistic design unlike the norm?

Hers is a DZ that looks pretty sweet.
2N2B1387web.jpg

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I for one, appreciate the effort AtLarge went through to come up with the number's that show that the long term answer is wrapless. I too prefer wrapless, sadly because my most expensive cue has Irish linen wrap and ivory. It sits unused in a case.

I understand that some manufactures such as Schon, because of design and construction use a wrap. But their BW models epoxy coat the linen wrap, causing them to be wrapless. Seems to me that this should be useful information to expand sales in cues. Maybe even expanding to a sales line to include true four prong production.

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I regret that you have so easily deemed me to be a jerk who made a snotty response (and possibly also someone who is nasty, sarcastic, and ignorant).

If you were to review my posting history, you might feel otherwise. I try to be helpful to new (and veteran) members frequently. I hope that in time you will feel that what you said above was just an unwarranted snap judgment.

In this thread, I was pretty sure that the OP would receive many responses by members giving their own personal preferences. So I decided to offer help in a different way. I remembered that polls had been done on this topic quite a few times, so I decided to list links to some of those polls so the OP could see how members have responded to this topic in the past. I was not trying to stifle anyone from saying whatever they would like to say on the topic currently.

Also, I wanted to develop a numerical answer to the OP's question (you might find that I do a lot of stuff with numbers here) by determining the percentage of members' prior poll votes that expressed a preference for wrapless cues. For that, I wanted quite a few polls, not just one or two. Stats are often better when they are based on bigger numbers. I posted that answer (post #7) not long after I posted the list of polls that formed the basis for the answer.

I see you were new to the sport and to this website just a couple years ago. I offer you a belated "welcome aboard." I'm pleased that you feel you have already learned a lot here, and I hope to see you participating in many threads in the future.

Hey there AtLarge,

I know this isn’t directed at me, but I want to chime in and say that your exhaustive list was quite helpful and gave me some very informative and interesting reading. I took no umbrage, but did pause to think that I should have searched for ‘wrap’ instead of ‘grip’! :)

To be fair I think ddg45 and Tom observed a certain ‘sterility’ in your post, and being equitable to them I can see where it, standing by itself, could be interpreted as a bit ‘cold’. NOT that you meant it that way. As you know, text is devoid of emotion, so I’m guessing two things:

1) You were genuinely being helpful to me, not an ounce of inherent ‘Ill will’ intended whatsoever on your part. I can very easily see and understand that.

2) Ddg45 and Tom want to make sure that I feel welcome here and that I didn’t come away feeling like I’d had my pants pulled down unwittingly in front of the forum and thus would be embarrassed to participate in the future. I can very easily see and understand this also.

So, all things taken into what I feel is civil and courteous consideration to all parties, I’d like to propose that everyone go on as if there were a legitimate misunderstanding, and that everyone: you, ddg45, and “Call_Me_Tom” had the best of intentions as they saw it.

Then, everyone forgive and forget! In a pool hall, all of us gathered around a table playing and talking, had a similar exchange take place, I believe it wouldn’t have been an issue whatsoever.

Your friend,

Nicholas (JackOfNoTrades)

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Hey there AtLarge,

I know this isn’t directed at me, but I want to chime in and say that your exhaustive list was quite helpful and gave me some very informative and interesting reading. I took no umbrage, but did pause to think that I should have searched for ‘wrap’ instead of ‘grip’! :)

To be fair I think ddg45 and Tom observed a certain ‘sterility’ in your post, and being equitable to them I can see where it, standing by itself, could be interpreted as a bit ‘cold’. NOT that you meant it that way. As you know, text is devoid of emotion, so I’m guessing two things:

1) You were genuinely being helpful to me, not an ounce of inherent ‘Ill will’ intended whatsoever on your part. I can very easily see and understand that.

2) Ddg45 and Tom want to make sure that I feel welcome here and that I didn’t come away feeling like I’d had my pants pulled down unwittingly in front of the forum and thus would be embarrassed to participate in the future. I can very easily see and understand this also.

So, all things taken into what I feel is civil and courteous consideration to all parties, I’d like to propose that everyone go on as if there were a legitimate misunderstanding, and that everyone: you, ddg45, and “Call_Me_Tom” had the best of intentions as they saw it.

Then, everyone forgive and forget! In a pool hall, all of us gathered around a table playing and talking, had a similar exchange take place, I believe it wouldn’t have been an issue whatsoever.

Your friend,

Nicholas (JackOfNoTrades)

Classy post. Greenies sent.

Maniac

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I for one, appreciate the effort AtLarge went through to come up with the number's that show that the long term answer is wrapless. I too prefer wrapless, sadly because my most expensive cue has Irish linen wrap and ivory. It sits unused in a case.

I understand that some manufactures such as Schon, because of design and construction use a wrap. But their BW models epoxy coat the linen wrap, causing them to be wrapless. Seems to me that this should be useful information to expand sales in cues. Maybe even expanding to a sales line to include true four prong production.

Good post IMO