Can't find a fargo rate on some of the more famous pool instructors

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
... you have to admit those balls set up like practice run outs after the break. No clusters, no problem balls.
Exactly! That's why I hit the break the speed I did ... so clusters and problem balls would be less likely. To me, that's part of the "playing the ghost" challenge.

If you look at my 9-ball ghost run-outs (7-1 and 7-2), my Rollie video run-outs, and my 15-ball rotation run-outs, you will see me playing tougher shape and dealing with other "issues."

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good luck in your retirement
Thank you.

i agree with you, you game will improve when you get away from teaching so much.
Thank you.

I will keep teaching pool, but I will certainly have a lot more time available when I stop teaching mechanical engineering, which definitely does nothing to help my pool game. Although, every time I give a private pool lesson, my game always feels a little stronger the next time I play. It helps me to get constant reminders about all of the things students often do wrong ... because I do them at times too (especially if I don't have periodic reminders).

Regards,
Dave

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you.

Thank you.

I will keep teaching pool, but I will certainly have a lot more time available when I stop teaching mechanical engineering, which definitely does nothing to help my pool game. Although, every time I give a private pool lesson, my game always feels a little stronger the next time I play. It helps me to get constant reminders about all of the things students often do wrong ... because I do them at times too (especially if I don't have periodic reminders).

Regards,
Dave

I enjoyed the video with Rollie. It showed a more human side of you. Maybe having a foil in your videos is a good strategy. You definitely get more charged up from teaching in person vs. just in a video. I can see where that would help you play better.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed the video with Rollie. It showed a more human side of you. Maybe having a foil in your videos is a good strategy. You definitely get more charged up from teaching in person vs. just in a video.
Thank you for the comments and suggestions. Rollie and I are already talking about maybe doing a follow-up video in the future. Rollie does make a good "foil," doesn't he? There I go using his name again ... twice. :grin-square:

I can see where that would help you play better.
Good point. Excitement and enthusiasm definitely fuel my game.

Regards,
Dave

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't take a lesson from a teacher if he can't play well.

Sure, playing and teaching are two different things, but if someone is a "pro" pool instructor, they should be able to improve their own game using their techniques, period.
At least that is my opinion.

I have seen some videos on youtube of "top" teachers missing balls left and right, heck if you can't make the one ball in the corner that is on the foot spot, straight in and with ball in hand, no way in hell am I hiring you to teach me. Use them fancy teaching skills and learn to shoot yourself!

stockbob55

Registered
Re:

Mmmm???

Dr Dave has done a great deal of work and research into cue sports. He makes much of his content freely available on his website and on his YouTube channel to assist players of all levels.

Not enjoying the Dr Dave Bashing session by some AZ members.

He may not earn your business as a coach but surely he has earned some respect!

:smile:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker Theory
Good luck in life!
randyg

Thanks Randy ;)

A fool and his money are soon parted is a quote I often thought of over the years getting golf lessons from club pros and "teaching professionals", sure some were worth it, but the coaches I learned the most from, could actually play damn good golf. Either they were still a top player,, or they where accomplished in the past.

Spent thousands on lessons from people who were lauded as "great", and maybe they are great if your handicap is +30 and you basically suck, for me, being an accomplished player not so much. Some of the best golf coaches in the world never won tournaments but they can still hit the golf ball like a champ.

Maybe pool lessons are vastly different than golf lessons overall, had much less experience with them.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
An alternative that allows a fixed elbow is "goal posts" to stroke through that allow vertical but not sideways motion - like a couple of golf tees standing a short distance apart.

pj
chgo
Just ran across this:

tees.jpg

...at AzB member bluepepper's website.

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know Snook. A few years back at SBE I watched a unknown playing SVB at hitting balls off the spot. Mr. nobody made one more ball than Shane and started jumping up and down shouting "yeah,yeah, I beat the best in the world" SVB handed him a hundred and had a very slight smile. I wonder what happened to Me. Big later that night. I've also seen Randy, Scott and even Jerry miss a ball. So what? They are great teachers. Just the info on his website should put Dr. Dave in the HoF. Totally free help for everyone. What have you done?

bennettspring

Registered
instructors

I have worked with,, Brieseth, Wilson, Simpson, Varner and Feeney.

Nick and Don Feeney played. The others did not play much during our sessions. I also do not think they play for recreation often.

I asked Nick Varner if I played 2-3 hours per day 6 days a week could I see great improvement? (I'm Old) His response, maybe. You really need to spend more time on the table if you are going for substantial improvement. Great guy by the way.

All of the above instructors spend most of their time teaching and learning how to teach better. My opinion.
Not enough table time playing to really be in dead punch.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony in MD

I played in SBE seinors last year and they gave me a Fargorate. Maybe you should check again if you played last year.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't played much pool in years but I found that I had a Fargo rate of .582. I guess that means I'm pretty crappy. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you missed the sarcasm in Randy's comment! :grin: He was trying to tell you nicely that you're an idiot! He knows more about your idiotic statement than you do...being an avid participant of both sports for many decades (taking his share of lessons too).

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Thanks Randy ;)

A fool and his money are soon parted is a quote I often thought of over the years getting golf lessons from club pros and "teaching professionals", sure some were worth it, but the coaches I learned the most from, could actually play damn good golf. Either they were still a top player,, or they where accomplished in the past.

Spent thousands on lessons from people who were lauded as "great", and maybe they are great if your handicap is +30 and you basically suck, for me, being an accomplished player not so much. Some of the best golf coaches in the world never won tournaments but they can still hit the golf ball like a champ.

Maybe pool lessons are vastly different than golf lessons overall, had much less experience with them.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OMG Jay! Be careful lest you be cast down among the Soddomites! Someone would think with all the time spent at your house with top pro players that some of that skill would have rubbed off on you, and you'd be at least 100 points higher (tongue firmly planted in cheek)! You and I both know it doesn't happen that way...

Scott Lee

I haven't played much pool in years but I found that I had a Fargo rate of .582. I guess that means I'm pretty crappy. :rolleyes:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I didn't play last year due to health issues but I played the two years prior.

Hopefully I will be at full strength this year.

I played in SBE seinors last year and they gave me a Fargorate. Maybe you should check again if you played last year.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you missed the sarcasm in Randy's comment! :grin: He was trying to tell you nicely that you're an idiot! He knows more about your idiotic statement than you do...being an avid participant of both sports for many decades (taking his share of lessons too).

Scott Lee

I realized what he was implying which was why I used the wink emoji, and I was also being sarcastic in return. You and Randy may think I am an idiot and you are welcome to your opinions. Me thinking a coach I choose to pay for hourly sessions should play well is my prerogative.

I certainly wouldn't pay for your services based off the few videos I have seen of you playing, maybe you are a great player or were a great player and just having an off day, and maybe people with my mindset are losing out on a skilled teacher.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Yeah, the view on this board is that if you cannot play at a world class level, you ain't diddly.

OMG Jay! Be careful lest you be cast down among the Soddomites! Someone would think with all the time spent at your house with top pro players that some of that skill would have rubbed off on you, and you'd be at least 100 points higher (tongue firmly planted in cheek)! You and I both know it doesn't happen that way...

Scott Lee