Has anyone thought of modifying pocket shape?

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Amen

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

parogen

Registered
It's hard to even comment here, when people think that a ball grazing off a cushion, with just the right speed, new cloth and clean balls....is some how cheating, and the shot shouldn't be allowed. Why don't we just make the pockets so tight, that everyone just quits playing this damn game and starts watching cornhole being played, or better yet, shuffleboard. All those that complain about the pockets can't play in the first place, which is why they want the game to be harder for the Pros, it's stupid, plain and simple.

Cheating as in cheating the pocket sir. Someone has a controversial opinion and all of a sudden everything they say is conveniently misconstrued. The margin of error arc of that particular shot is much bigger compared to a ball that's in the middle of the table (i.e. further from a rail).

Nevermind, point is moot. Pool needs to stay the same. ✌

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's hard to even comment here, when people think that a ball grazing off a cushion, with just the right speed, new cloth and clean balls....is some how cheating, and the shot shouldn't be allowed. Why don't we just make the pockets so tight, that everyone just quits playing this damn game and starts watching cornhole being played, or better yet, shuffleboard. All those that complain about the pockets can't play in the first place, which is why they want the game to be harder for the Pros, it's stupid, plain and simple.

Tap tap tap

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.....Nevermind, point is moot. Pool needs to stay the same. ✌

Not necessarily, it just doesnt need oddball changes made to somehow make it more interesting to people who dont really give two shits about it in the first place. :thumbup:

parogen

Registered
Not necessarily, it just doesnt need oddball changes made to somehow make it more interesting to people who dont really give two shits about it in the first place. :thumbup:

Watches the game, gives some notes how I skip parts of the rack, gives a suggestion that is not in the spirit of "just play snooker". But no, I'm just someone who doesn't care. 👍

We've got killer viewership here boys. And anyone that isn't okay with the status quo is seen as someone attacking the game! I will predict pocket changes soon.

There's nothing about the game than the actual game (the specifics) that needs to change for it to be watchable. And if you're confused about what I'm saying, I just think the run out should be more thrilling, and not a slop fest or a dead portion of the game. That's all, waiting for the time I don't skip it as a viewer. Safeties, high risk shots, jumps, are all watchable and fun, but there is dead time that can be fixed. The pool table is a man made object, and the game a construct. It's not really that "numbskull" or idiotic of an idea that it can be subject to change, and for the better. It just hasn't, and that's why I'm prodding at it.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watches the game, gives some notes how I skip parts of the rack, gives a suggestion that is not in the spirit of "just play snooker". But no, I'm just someone who doesn't care. 👍.....

Your original post referenced youtube viewer comments about pool being boring.

After reading a lot of youtube comments about how "boring" it is watching the pros, has there been any consideration to changing the shape of pool table pockets?

The reason it's "boring" is not because of winner break or alternate break, or because of racking and who racks, but (I think) because it's too easy, after one or two safeties, for the pro to run a rack out. Virtually all of the pros at the top level run out a reasonable rack without missing. It makes that part of the viewing experience pretty repetitive and monotonous.

So snooker is a rounded pocket, pool has parallel sides. Shrinking pool pockets serves to narrowing pocketing on all angles and might make rail shots significantly harder. What about instead of parallel, make them slightly inward? That way we keep rail shots, we keep straight in shot width, but we stop players from cheating 2 diamonds into the pocket?

Just a thought.

Glad you like pool, however the youtube comments are made by unknown entities, a good percentage of which are likely people who dont give a fook. Have you ever read youtube comments before? Most are dumbfooks entertaining themselves and trying to act like the know what they are talking about.

But good on you for getting all defensive. :thumbup:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watches the game, gives some notes how I skip parts of the rack, gives a suggestion that is not in the spirit of "just play snooker". But no, I'm just someone who doesn't care. 👍

We've got killer viewership here boys. And anyone that isn't okay with the status quo is seen as someone attacking the game! I will predict pocket changes soon.

There's nothing about the game than the actual game (the specifics) that needs to change for it to be watchable. And if you're confused about what I'm saying, I just think the run out should be more thrilling, and not a slop fest or a dead portion of the game. That's all, waiting for the time I don't skip it as a viewer. Safeties, high risk shots, jumps, are all watchable and fun, but there is dead time that can be fixed. The pool table is a man made object, and the game a construct. It's not really that "numbskull" or idiotic of an idea that it can be subject to change, and for the better. It just hasn't, and that's why I'm prodding at it.
The nirvana you describe already exists in Chinese 8ball. ProCut 4.5" are MORE than tight enough for any player. Have you ever even played on brand-new worsted cloth? All kinds of shots go in for the first 1-2weeks of play til the slikness decreases. People are taking shots at your idea because its completely un-needed/wanted.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I will predict pocket changes soon.

The pool table is a man made object, subject to change, It just hasn't, and that's why I'm prodding at it.

Where have you been the last few years?

Diamond tables have changed pocket angles and size.
Some say for the better, some not.
But change, they did.

Do a search for “Diamondizing a Gold Crown” to see hundreds of discussions on making 4.5”, 4.25”, 4” Pocket sizes!

Even Valley Tables can be made to have “Pro Cut” Corner-Pockets!

Now, if they could only do something about those side-pockets!

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But change, they did.

Do a search for “Diamondizing a Gold Crown” to see hundreds of discussions on making 4.5”, 4.25”, 4” Pocket sizes!

The pocket-size on a stock(non tournament) GC were designed for general commercial use. Its fine for day-in/day-out regular play. The 4.5" on the tourn. version and on the ProCut Diamond's is, imo, more than tight enough. I think Diamond got it just right with their combination of size/angle/shelf. With new cloth even these can play easy for a little while but once the shiny is off the cloth they toughen up. I used to play in a room that had a couple 4" GC's and they were a joke. Nobody but the 1p guys liked them at all.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Han Yu knows what she is doing. The commentators know what she is doing. Anybody that understands the game knows what she is doing. Except the OP.

parogen

Registered

But change, they did.

Thank you.

So people are not changing the angle simply because manufacturers chose a specific angle? Has anyone thought of creating a tool or investigating the effects? From searching your search term, people are aware that the angle matters, but the discussion ends there, since they are mostly interested in just the "Diamondizing."

Is there no way to engineer slop out of the corner pockets (without turning to snooker rounded pocket)? Again, I'm not interested in pocket width. Pocket width reduces everything. I would like to know if reducing slop through changes in pocket angle would work. Slop is just cheating (the pocket) to the extreme. I'm sure the better pros are tired of seeing their worse opponents cheat off one diamond to still run out. When, potentially, with these changes, that might eek out another loss to the worser player and one point to the better player.

I'm not for difficulty just for the sake of it. It needs to be calibrated against the current pool of talent. And it just so happens that, I think, a lot of the pros can run out on current table specs. It's not that drastic of a change/suggestion. It's just the cost of implementation and adoption.

I also don't think it's much of a stretch to increase difficult in this area. Most pros are aiming at the heart of the pocket, especially the best players. One or two degrees does not remove all slop. It's honestly just a good area to tinker with, considering the player base are already shooting sharper and sharper. Pocket width reduction will ensure people shoot softer and reduce cheating the pocket. I'm not after either of those. I like a reasonable sized pocket, I just don't want certain angles, like the clip I posted, resulting in a huge margin of error. If there is any consideration to tackling the game, this is a conveniently small one to make.

Han Yu knows what she is doing. The commentators know what she is doing. Anybody that understands the game knows what she is doing. Except the OP.

If you don't think she "missed" that, I dare you to tell Shane, or any opponent of yours. That every time you make it off one diamond, that you "aimed for that." That exact spot.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets really make it tough. Make a table where all of the pockets are moving! Or just leave it as it is. 4.5 pro pockets are tough enough, even on the tournament trail.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Yes....RKC has studied the pockets and has improved on them in Gold Crowns.
He has also been instrumental at helping to design Diamond’s tables, pockets, playability.
Yes....not only do the openings matter, but the angle of the rail ends matter, as does the shelf shape, bevel and depth.
The changes Mr. Cobra does to a pocket are small but make a huge difference.

From what I see in the video you posted.....
https://youtu.be/TGDXRzkHFZ4?t=2822
I think you want the pockets to be like OLHAUSEN Pool Table Holes.
Rattle Traps!

Thank you.

So people are not changing the angle simply because manufacturers chose a specific angle? Has anyone thought of creating a tool or investigating the effects? From searching your search term, people are aware that the angle matters, but the discussion ends there, since they are mostly interested in just the "Diamondizing."

Is there no way to engineer slop out of the corner pockets (without turning to snooker rounded pocket)? Again, I'm not interested in pocket width. Pocket width reduces everything. I would like to know if reducing slop through changes in pocket angle would work. Slop is just cheating (the pocket) to the extreme. I'm sure the better pros are tired of seeing their worse opponents cheat off one diamond to still run out. When, potentially, with these changes, that might eek out another loss to the worser player and one point to the better player.

I'm not for difficulty just for the sake of it. It needs to be calibrated against the current pool of talent. And it just so happens that, I think, a lot of the pros can run out on current table specs. It's not that drastic of a change/suggestion. It's just the cost of implementation and adoption.

I also don't think it's much of a stretch to increase difficult in this area. Most pros are aiming at the heart of the pocket, especially the best players. One or two degrees does not remove all slop. It's honestly just a good area to tinker with, considering the player base are already shooting sharper and sharper. Pocket width reduction will ensure people shoot softer and reduce cheating the pocket. I'm not after either of those. I like a reasonable sized pocket, I just don't want certain angles, like the clip I posted, resulting in a huge margin of error. If there is any consideration to tackling the game, this is a conveniently small one to make.

If you don't think she "missed" that, I dare you to tell Shane, or any opponent of yours. That every time you make it off one diamond, that you "aimed for that." That exact spot.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's just be thankful that the OP doesn't work for Diamond, Brunswick, etc. He obviously has NEVER played on a ProCut table or else he's a world champion no one has ever seen. "Cheating" the pocket is a huge part of playing position. You get below 4.5" and the game changes big time, for the worse. Less run-outs and a VERY boring duck-n-hide style of play. Last thing this game needs.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thank you.

You talk like running out a rack is a bad thing because Pros do it all the time, but you remind me of watching the highlights of a baseball game, always showing the homeruns and not the get on base hits. Watching news clips like that one might think EVERYONE hits homeruns, so....should baseball fields be made bigger as the make homeruns harder to hit???

In a race to 11, most pros might only run 2 or 3 racks, but that's a bad thing??? Because it's boring to watch??

The answer is simple, stop watching!!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt that making this game more difficult will do anything but make it LESS attractive to the masses. At least in the U.S. - the game needs to be made MORE attractive to the masses. Do we all forget when we first started playing? I do not find watching pros play this game as "boring" I do think that the move away from 14.1 as the "game of champions" has obviously changed the pace of professional pool- keeping it in line with the pace of society today; with the internet and all- no comment on whether I feel that is a good or bad change overall. My feeling is that - for rotation games- 4 1/2 inch pockets with the deeper pocket shelves found on Diamond tables is the sensible "limit" for pocketing balls that have been hit "correctly" and that allow for occasional increased speed of stroke. given faster cloth today.
I think that for 14.1, I would prefer to play and watch games on more traditional Gold Crown pockets- about 4 3/4 opening with less deep pocket shelves than Diamond tables- for MOST players - it is very difficult to string enjoyable runs when full rack and some secondary breakout shots require speed of stroke that often rattles object balls and stops runs cold. Yes, some pros run hundreds on Diamonds- but most non pros can't even run 40 on a Diamond - just not the pockets conducive to that game, in my opinion.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Ram shot!!!!!!

Thank you so much for bringing up my Cousin’s contribution to cue sports!

Thanks to Poolkillers forward thinking, he single handedly saved pool in the 80’s and started it’s regrowth.

Ram Shot Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kkjopqJhZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJe9AhiySnE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W5nu11AMZXY

Ram Shot
See Page 19 of "A Beginner's Guide to Playing 8 Ball"
https://issuu.com/poolkillers81/docs/a_beginner_s_guide_to_8_ball_pool

Discussions
http://forums.azbilliards.com/archiv.../t-340400.html

PoolKillers
https://issuu.com/poolkillers81/docs...to_8_ball_pool
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=454714

Last edited:

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's just be thankful that the OP doesn't work for Diamond, Brunswick, etc. He obviously has NEVER played on a ProCut table or else he's a world champion no one has ever seen. "Cheating" the pocket is a huge part of playing position. You get below 4.5" and the game changes big time, for the worse. Less run-outs and a VERY boring duck-n-hide style of play. Last thing this game needs.

That’s exactly what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums