John Schmidt 626 video Nov. 21 - semi-public (tickets required) viewing

creederitis

Registered
As soon as they have any income stream, John's team should very soon think about getting something classy like this created by some good present-day graphic artist of Dave Harrington's caliber for a fixed fee and sold as a hand-signed (by John) limited edition of 626 lithographs on sturdy archival stock -- just as was done in printing of 526 while Willie was alive. They could offer them directly on their John Schmidt website and also reserve some for hand-signing at any of his tour appearances. Maybe price them at about $120 unframed initially, then raise the price upwards as the edition begins to sell out. Could well eventually return substantially more than $80,000 minus the fixed fees of the artist and the printing company.

Just some unsolicited advice as a fan of John's terrific accomplishment.
View attachment 534220

Arnaldo (not meant as an advertisement for Harrington's poster)

I sent this to John on Facebook because I think this is a great idea. I definitely would be willing to spend a bill or two to have it hanging up on my wall next to my pool table.

Also probably be able to sell two extra copies for both pool halls I go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I've thought about this a bit, and maybe it isn't the worst thing. 10k is not a whole lot of money these days, and selling the rights to some God-awful, soulless corporation so they can hawk their silly wares may not appeal to him. Maybe he just wants to show the video to some folks that will appreciate it. He may not make a lot more, maybe even less, but the experience may be more rewarding to him. Or maybe he's thinking he can make more this way (which I think is silly).

Personally I think this whole thing has been badly handled, when looked at from the point of view of what's "good for the sport". We can't expect people who play in a sport where even crumbs are rare to come by, to share everything with us for free. So pool will be forever stuck where it's at. People desperately grabbing for every small payday, sometimes even using illegal means, while simultaneously sabotaging promotion of the sport. It's the whole "crabs in a bucket" mentality that's reduced pool to it's current sad state, and it won't change until this mentality changes. I don't think this move is really great, but I can understand it, especially in a context of pools history.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blame it on the Single dad life. I’d be out every night if I could but after work I get to the daycare 20 minutes before they close, now I’m back in this area away from all the pool halls with a kid that’s got to sleep by 9 or so lol.

My poor old table gets a lot of use because of that, the thing is literally starting to fall apart.

What else are you on this planet for!? Pool is a silly distraction.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

Dead on.

The first night Dippy Dave arrived on the scene(that I know of) I was invited by SVB to go hangout and shoot a little at Sharks if I remember correctly. My son was in Vegas at a football camp and it just so happened that My son and Shane shared a ride together on top of the Stratosphere. We had a 8:00 am start to the last day of the football camp and I thought it was a bad idea to go meet up at the pool room even though I had a chance to hang with Shane himself. I chose family and even though it killed me I would not change the decision.

Shane went on and scored an immense amount of loot and the rest is history.Take care of the kids and you won't ever regret it.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
TK from FLA! A gift to the pool world! :thumbup:

Definitely "tour" worthy...$50 per ticket for 5 hours of Tommy's act...on video of course...and only $200 extra for the signed poster. :thumbup:

Another star is born..:)

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

Not for me, it was life saving :bow-down: For tens of thousands of years+ women have raised the children and gathered stuff, men hunted and fought and built stuff. I’m not saying it’s got to be that way but it takes more than a few generations for that kind of genetic coding to change. I am ill suited to doing all this by myself though I’ve somehow managed for 5 years starting with a 2yo lol...potty training and everything. But it has not been the most pleasant experience. Maybe looking back it will be. In the meantime I take refuge on the pool table when I can. Thank you pool. And AZB.

Back to the 626...sorry JS :grin:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've thought about this a bit, and maybe it isn't the worst thing. 10k is not a whole lot of money these days, and selling the rights to some God-awful, soulless corporation so they can hawk their silly wares may not appeal to him. Maybe he just wants to show the video to some folks that will appreciate it. He may not make a lot more, maybe even less, but the experience may be more rewarding to him. Or maybe he's thinking he can make more this way (which I think is silly).

Personally I think this whole thing has been badly handled, when looked at from the point of view of what's "good for the sport". We can't expect people who play in a sport where even crumbs are rare to come by, to share everything with us for free. So pool will be forever stuck where it's at. People desperately grabbing for every small payday, sometimes even using illegal means, while simultaneously sabotaging promotion of the sport. It's the whole "crabs in a bucket" mentality that's reduced pool to it's current sad state, and it won't change until this mentality changes. I don't think this move is really great, but I can understand it, especially in a context of pools history.

I'm sure there are more people that would appreciate watching it if they could do so from the comfort of their own home, and on their own time.

Making those that are interested drive to this location to watch the run is what makes this a terrible idea.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I sent this to John on Facebook because I think this is a great idea. I definitely would be willing to spend a bill or two to have it hanging up on my wall next to my pool table.

Also probably be able to sell two extra copies for both pool halls I go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I know it seems like someone craps on every idea thrown out to make pool great again, but....

Willie Mosconi was a household name for decades before the record run. TV appearances, endorsements, championships that millions of people actually followed. And not long after the real surge of pool as family entertainment came along with him as the mascot.

The last time I saw one of the 526 limited signed lithographs on Ebay, it went unsold at $250 asking price.

I don't think 10% of people in a modern pool room could pick John out of a lineup. I'm not sure there are 626 people even willing to pay $3 for a John Schmidt trading card.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but one thing that stands out to me in the advert is where it states, "Get first hand commentary with Q&A"

Does that mean there is no player commentary on the video itself?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but one thing that stands out to me in the advert is where it states, "Get first hand commentary with Q&A"

Does that mean there is no player commentary on the video itself?

They could have it on mute, and accompanied by a live theater organ being played in step with the action like the old silent films. Lots of ragtime compositions by Scott Joplin and Jelly Roll Morton. Maybe even played at 12 frames per second to give it a Charlie Chaplin effect (and be over in half the time at 2.5 hours)
John could sit off to the side in a vest with sleeve bands like an old-timey entertainer and be nostalgic with details and stories behind the historic run.
That would be a classy way to deliver the video to the public.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even gooder. You are making it happen.
You just look into that wonderful little human's eyes, for all the motivation you need.

You are doing great things. Trust that.

Good on ya, man.
Not for me, it was life saving :bow-down: For tens of thousands of years+ women have raised the children and gathered stuff, men hunted and fought and built stuff. I’m not saying it’s got to be that way but it takes more than a few generations for that kind of genetic coding to change. I am ill suited to doing all this by myself though I’ve somehow managed for 5 years starting with a 2yo lol...potty training and everything. But it has not been the most pleasant experience. Maybe looking back it will be. In the meantime I take refuge on the pool table when I can. Thank you pool. And AZB.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Been there done that , I took custody of 2 , 3-5 yr old girls that's actually when I started getting back to the table after a long layoff , heck I'm 59 , and have joint custody of my 17 yr old every other day every other weekend
I actually found out it's much easier to get time for yourself when you don't have a partner to deal with ,

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Maybe even played at 12 frames per second to give it a Charlie Chaplin effect (and be over in half the time at 2.5 hours)
The original framerate was probably 30 FPS so this would actually slow down the playback without subsampling. Perhaps you meant to show every fourth frame at 12 FPS. That would give a total time of 4 hrs * 30 FPS/ 12 FPS/ 4 = 2.5 hours

Bob <-- hope this Freds

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
pre hall of fame rebcoup campaign

After there private party - for desert they should show our last tar match in 14.1 on a diamond pro table 373 - 255 they should show him missing the 8 ball in the side and then walking over to his backers table and shooting the cue ball off the table. You were right Mark kendall - that was bad. I guess tempers flare when losing but I'm sure their phony 5" +
rebco pool tabel' pockets have been sanded at the slate - like his 400 bs run in Virginia.I Thought diamond table was his sponsor? I guess a pro spec table is not conducive to adopting and or promoting paper champions - hence the recoup' campaign - what a joke.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
You forgot the chalk cube incident...so 85 %, B+.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Bob <-- hope this Freds
Wow, that sent me back... to the archives. Here's the earliest mention I found.

Is it about our own Freddie Agnir, the Cornerman?

pj <- totally Freds
chgo

hopethisfreds.JPG

Last edited:

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One would think that if John Schmidt was winning major tournaments (Currently) as well as being in the top 10 in the world, then his accomplishment of 626 (video documented) would have a tremendous amount of steam for dvd sales (maybe Accu-Stats for example). However, the longer this thread and story of his feat dwindles of interest day after day after day....Just upload it to youtube and be done with it. I cannot see cashing in on any significant amount of money. Jay offered 10K for the rights and seemed willing to negotiate. Good Luck.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The original framerate was probably 30 FPS so this would actually slow down the playback without subsampling. Perhaps you meant to show every fourth frame at 12 FPS. That would give a total time of 4 hrs * 30 FPS/ 12 FPS/ 4 = 2.5 hours

Bob <-- hope this Freds

I was going off the old film camera frame rates....normal speed was 24 FPS before video changed to 29.9 FPS....
I used an arriflex 16 mm camera on a feature independent film, and our slow motion variable speed motor would click to 48 FPS, so you saw more images in a second....giving a slo mo effect. For high speed, like filming a car chase scene, and the car buzzes the camera, if you take a little off the motor, maybe even to 20 FPS, the car would fly by super fast, giving the appearance of higher speed than was filmed.

I’m going off 20 year old memories, but I remember anything less was Chaplin comedy style....or like a Benny hill episode.