Best "production cue" builder

CoreyClark

Registered
I've always been a fan on Mcdermott, I own a few of them and like how they all give me the same feel even though some of them were made 20+ years apart. Plus the lifetime warranty is nice too

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
I don't think it matters. Shoot with several and see which one feels best. I have tried them all and still prefer my Meucci. Why because I used to it. I won the Predator 8K-4 with Vantage LD shaft and it plays nice but I am still trying to get used to the fatter 12.9mm shaft. On my Meucci, I used to like the black dot shaft, but now use the "Pro Shaft" and think it plays the best.

I have owned a Mez, Schon, Viking, Mcdermit, Palmer, Custom Joss West (by Bill Stroud), OB, and Players. I still like the way my Meucci feels, because that is what I am used too.

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
I think the only reason so many are overlooking McDermott for this list is because they are so common that there is the perception of over-saturation in the market.

I've hit with their cues from multiple eras and they were all good. That said, my favorite player right now is my Schon.

My list would go...

1) Schon
2) McDermott or Joss
3) Joss or McDermott

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
As I've played with the same one for over twenty years, my vote goes to Schon. Also have a McDermott I use as a break cue while in Vegas. Really excellent construction. Used it as a playing cue from time to time till I purchased a Carmeli for Vegas. Both brands are great. Excellent customer service as well.

Lyn

StuartTKelley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB would be an excellent choice. I prefer the Classic and Classic Plus shafts at 12.75. They hit very well and the new OB's are fine looking cues too. Good luck. I have heard Mezz is great too but I've never played with one so can't speak for performance. I hear Schon is excellent as well but I've only with one a few times.

CT06010

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im a Meucci guy (cant put them down) but i do like the feel and consistency of OB. I have never tried a Mezz. I will though. Ill still always be a Meucci guy. Biased :thumbup:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first "good" cue was a higher end Schon with a 314 shaft. I've since found I'm more of a solid shaft guy and now use the Schon shaft with ivory ferrule. Other Schon's have the same basic feel across their entire line.

But other cues have certain models within their line that, to me, play better than the rest of line.
For example The basic Predator sneaky pete, spliced with the wood to wood joint is their best cue.
Same thing with McDermott, that M-11-B (hustler) is the best thing they made. Too bad neither of those cues are made anymore.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a good question. I live about 30 mins away from where they make them. When I started playing 25 years a go there was a ton of people playing with joss cues. I had one back then but now they never come up and rarely do I ever see anyone playing with them. I haven't been a fan of there designs in the past years but the quality always looks good and I'm sure they hit great.

I'm surprised that Joss isn't getting more mention here. I stopped through Dan's shop a few years ago. He showed me their latest cue construction, and I have to say they're doing things inside cues that only custom makers are doing. As far as consistency, their manufacturing technique pretty much assures it. And, with Mezz's pricing being completely out to lunch, I'd be buying a Joss, with their standard non-LD shaft, and would stick an OB on the end of it.

All Joss cues are cored with a one piece maple core. But the core is shaped in such a way that only the forearm and butt sleeve are sleeved onto the maple core. No A joints in the cue means long term stability. And the core is straight grain maple, so the cues will balance out pretty much the same, regardless of wood selections in the cue.

Pechauer also makes an excellent cue for the money. I haven't looked at the OB Cues yet. I'd love to hear what's going on inside the cues, as that is what is appealing to me. Any aftermarket performance shaft can be stuck on the end of my cue. I want to make sure that the butt of the cue won't have any popping rings, or any major warpage in the butt end. Any time a manufacturer can come up with methods that fight any of the above issues, I'm a fan.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two of my favorite and best-hitting cues are McDermotts ( a C-14 and a RS-11). The C-14 has lasted me since I bought it brand new in 1985 and the RS-11 was made in 1996. They have lasted quite a few years and I expect they will last a couple more.

The RS-11 is what I use as my main playing cue right now. It is an RS-11 butt with a Meucci Pro LD shaft. I call it my McMeucci.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No cue hits the same, but, every playing cue by Mezz I have shot with was good.
Some Schon's were better than others, good choice.
Joss and McDermott are a good bang for the buck.

Never shot with OB cue (just shafts), I'm thinking those could be good.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I have a couple of Pechauers and think they are great. I just got a Pro Series P Plus Lite 11.75mm shaft from Pechauer for one of them and it is great. Let me give a shout out to Ty-Tanic who was kind enough to answer a lot of questions going back and forth on PMs while I decided which LD shaft I was going to buy. He highly recommended the P Plus Lite from Pechauer and he was right! :thumbup:

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Jacoby in my mind is more of a production cue company than Schon and I am a dealer for both, as well as, Pechauer, Viking and Kamui. Only 2 hands touch a Schon cue in the process at this time. To the best of my knowledge Jacoby has a large staff who work on their cues, but yes they do make alot of one offs and take custom orders. Schon doesn't need to take custom orders because their cues are in such high demand world wide.

Last edited:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Two of my favorite and best-hitting cues are McDermotts ( a C-14 and a RS-11). The C-14 has lasted me since I bought it brand new in 1985 and the RS-11 was made in 1996. They have lasted quite a few years and I expect they will last a couple more.

The RS-11 is what I use as my main playing cue right now. It is an RS-11 butt with a Meucci Pro LD shaft. I call it my McMeucci.

The RS line from McDermott were, in my opinion, their best looking cues they ever made. Great combination of exotic woods, great points, and the colour schemes were fantastic. My first Mueller catalog back in the late 90s featured them, and I think I wore that page out, having looked at those cues so much. My favourite series of McD were the EK and the RS series. Classics.

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Lucasi Hybrid

Recently had a customer ask me about Mezz cues, I have never shot with one. In my opinion Schon makes the most consistent of what most of you call a production cue from what I have personally tried. I have also heard nothing but positives about the Jacoby Hybrid Edge cues our customers have purchased. In your opinion if you had to recommend a production cue with LD technology or not i.e. Schon made by one company, price not being a issue what would it be. I'm not looking for a mixed match, so no Schon/predator combos. One "production" maker of the complete cue. Input is appreciated. Thx

Lucasi Hybrid with Zero Flexpoint LD Shaft

Shaft only - $180 http://www.pooldawg.com/product/lucasi-hybrid-zero-flexpoint-low-deflection-shaft/

Full Cue Used by Thorston Hohmann for $340 http://www.amazon.com/Lucasi-Hybrid-LHT87-Thorsten-Technology/dp/B00F6OXPUW

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never tried a Mezz, but I hear they're about the best production cue you can get. If I had to pick one of the many production cues I've hit with I'd definitely say Schon and put Pechauer right behind them.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jacoby in my mind is more of a production cue company than Schon and I am a dealer for both, as well as, Pechauer, Viking and Kamui. Only 2 hands touch a Schon cue in the process at this time. To the best of my knowledge Jacoby has a large staff who work on their cues, but yes they do make alot of one offs and take custom orders. Schon doesn't need to take custom orders because their cues are in such high demand world wide.

That's an interesting way to look at it that I never considered. Jacoby does sound like a larger operation so that makes sense.

Both do great work, I love playing with my Schon and Jacoby Hybrid Edge shaft...thanks Tom!!! :)

I have yet to try a Pechauer, I'll have to do that one of these days. One of the few Wisconsin cue makers I haven't tried out yet.

Pkeeney

Are the newer Espiritu cues production? I know they have an Ld shaft now. They are about 350$ for the entry level cues and they hit fantastic.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The RS line from McDermott were, in my opinion, their best looking cues they ever made. Great combination of exotic woods, great points, and the colour schemes were fantastic. My first Mueller catalog back in the late 90s featured them, and I think I wore that page out, having looked at those cues so much. My favourite series of McD were the EK and the RS series. Classics.

THIS RS-11 cue is my playing cue...the SAME ONE that CJ is using in this video. It has the original McDermott shaft and a custom Meucci Pro shaft. I bought it off him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFYhtmTdza4

I laugh when I watch these old videos...both world champion players playing with PRODUCTION cues. CJ using a McDermott and Earl using a cheap Cuetec.