billiard beads up to 100

icemanfred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HI
I recently order a set of billiard beads.
I now the sets go up to 50.

did they ever make set that go up to 100?

I was thinking maybe I could 3d print a set that goes up to 100.

what are your thoughts?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
HI

what are your thoughts?

Buy all you want...I went to a Dollar store and bought stick-on numbers.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
HI

what are your thoughts?

Those would take up quite a bit of room, 100 on each side instead of 50, twice as long! Or you could put the second set of beads under the first set, instead of stringing all 200 on one strand.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Just work your way down out 50 and change direction working back to the center for 100.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

simco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've only seen them in sets of fifty.The counters in the older Brunswick tables are what
we always used.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
HI

what are your thoughts?

Buy all you want...I went to a Dollar store and bought stick-on numbers.

Are you guys still talking about this?
Our main table, a few years ago.....bought four sets of beads....
...stuck these numbers on the tags where needed

5DF33BF2-A87D-4907-978A-693AC4E4E3D8.jpeg

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
100 beads (50 black - 50 white) hang from the wire separated by a larger stop bead.
Both sets of beads (b&w) start out away from the stop and touch from the #50 bead.
Each player has one color.. A total of 14 beads are pulled playing 14.1 straight pool

The wire has no beads from the center to the first bead. One bead is pulled toward
the center stop for any ball pocketed until a total of 14 (b&w) beads are separated
from the rest. The balls rack & the 14 beads go to the center stop.. Again 1 bead is
pulled for each ball pocketed until 14 balls pocket. If play is for more than 50 points
the beads go back from your center bead stop, leaving a space between #49 & #50.

A space between 49 & 50 shows 50 points have been scored. Pull beads as before.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... If play is for more than 50 points the beads go back from your center bead stop, leaving a space between #49 & #50.

A space between 49 & 50 shows 50 points have been scored. Pull beads as before.
That seems like a good way to do it but around here we can remember whether we are on the second lap, so there is no mark on the wire for 50+. Or at least most of the time we remember. I did play to 250 once on a set of 50 beads and that was a little harder to keep track of mentally.

We only separate 49 from 50 as a special marker if there is a scratch in the first rack. For a two-point foul on the break, 49 and 50 are slightly separated from the rest until the end of the rack in which that player scores some points.

If you want 100 beads, I agree with the comment above to put two wires up. I think it might be tough to keep them taut enough. Another way would be to put four wires up with 50 on each -- easier to support. You could do either left/right of above/below for the two scores. You could also score for four players in multi-player games.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
That seems like a good way to do it but around here we can remember whether we are on the second lap, so there is no mark on the wire for 50+. Or at least most of the time we remember. I did play to 250 once on a set of 50 beads and that was a little harder to keep track of mentally.

We only separate 49 from 50 as a special marker if there is a scratch in the first rack. For a two-point foul on the break, 49 and 50 are slightly separated from the rest until the end of the rack in which that player scores some points.

If you want 100 beads, I agree with the comment above to put two wires up. I think it might be tough to keep them taut enough. Another way would be to put four wires up with 50 on each -- easier to support. You could do either left/right of above/below for the two scores. You could also score for four players in multi-player games.

Mr. Jewett,

I agree with the separation for the first breaking foul. I do the same after scoring 50 points if playing to 100.
Playing for 100 both players know if the opponent is past 50. :wink: .. Over 100 a small clothespin for each 50.

My beads are 60 yrs. old, strung on a 1/8 braided wire between 2 steel beams tightened with a turn buckle.

More wires, for multiplayer game scoring, does sound like a good idea though.. Carl

forabeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an antique string of beads that has 5 extra beads at each end.
Just slide one bead over after each 50. Good for a 250pt game.

Attachments

• beads.jpg
    beads.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 295

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of my uses this. 10’s and 1’s.
Easy to read.
To me looks and works better than a string of 200 beads.

B8F55ECD-54D7-4A5E-B74B-446F861E5440.jpeg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have an antique string of beads that has 5 extra beads at each end.
Just slide one bead over after each 50. Good for a 250pt game.
That's a great idea and they can double as scratch counters for the first rack.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
That's a great idea and they can double as scratch counters for the first rack.

You should write an article about scoring beads.. Many bar box folks have never heard of them.
Older pool rooms had them hanging over at least one table. Maybe it would spark 14.1 interest.

Miller

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I made my own from craft supplies available at Hobby Lobby. (Been a few years, I think they are wooden wheels intended for models).

994.jpg

They run the length of the room with 154 beads on each side.

993.jpg

Every 5th bead is a different pattern and spray painted black, while every 25th bead was spray painted red with a marked tab attached (tabs available at Hobby Lobby also) hung by small brass eye hooks. Decal numbers from Menards.

990.jpg

991.jpg

Black coated cable and crimp on grommets from McMaster-Carr. Hardware store eye hooks, turnbuckle, etc. Made the hangers (offsets the beads from the wall several inches) from 2x3 and 1x4 scrap material I had lying around.

;)

Last edited: