Quick and dirty CNC

stylz730

Registered
I do know the guy hi name is Phill. I have ordered some different parts from him converting my lathe to CnC . He was finishing up this setup last time I talked to him. He uses quality parts and the setup is legit. He orders the head stock from Todd and he orders the rest direct from Sherline. My lathe setup is very similar to this one with the same power feed setup that I got from him as well as the cross slide power feed. His instructions are very limited in some of his kits. I actually wrote his instruction setup for his power feed kit. The only difference in my setup is the steady rest and the tail stock has a chuck mounted to it. Here is web page and contact. https://bb6corpusa.com/

Jason

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I bought a lathe set up from him with auto feed and "taper set up"....I was not aware that it was not an assembled unit. Or that it had not been pre-assembled and taken apart for shipping... Some of it came in a few boxes... No instructions.... No wiring diagram for the auto feed..... The taper was nothing but offsetting the tail stock.... I wasted 6 - 7 months waiting on the rest of the stuff to come in....Excuse after excuse....The motor was not a variable speed, so I sent it back... The invoice showed I paid $120 for the motor but received $80 refund????? I know... Plus I paid the return shipping... I finally received everything (I think) after 7-8 months......I use the head stock, tail stock, and dovetail bed... I use the industrial sewing machine motor I converted with it..... It is my finishing lathe........ I will not purchase from them again....

stylz730

Registered
This is one of his down falls like I commented on was that he give little to no instructions on assembly or set up. I did not have the issue of the time line it took to get my parts. I don't know him personally just the business I have done with him. As support he is not very good but the lathe its self when assembled works good. I did already have my own lath that is most of the same set up as his but I did have a 3/4 hp motor from Chris hightower . Captianjok if you are interested, like I said I put together a detailed instruction on assembling the power feed for him and I am surprised he didn't send it to you. If you are interested I can send it to you it is written details with pictures on assembly and wiring.

Jason

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
He sent it to me..... But I felt mislead in the function of the taper.... I had a Hightower Mid Size lathe and could offset the tail stock for the butt taper already.... I was asking him about shaft taper and was told It would do both....When all he sent me was a small steady rest with live center and a 3/16 key stock to put on the bed to do the taper with a standard cutting tool on the tool post, I new something was up.... This was a while ago.... Water under the bridge..... I have my Porper B now and ALL is grand..... Im not trying to talk bad about him... Im just stating my experience... Maybe things are better with him now????

stylz730

Registered
He sent it to me..... But I felt mislead in the function of the taper.... I had a Hightower Mid Size lathe and could offset the tail stock for the butt taper already.... I was asking him about shaft taper and was told It would do both....When all he sent me was a small steady rest with live center and a 3/16 key stock to put on the bed to do the taper with a standard cutting tool on the tool post, I new something was up.... This was a while ago.... Water under the bridge..... I have my Porper B now and ALL is grand..... Im not trying to talk bad about him... Im just stating my experience... Maybe things are better with him now????

Yeah I don’t know about his taper method. I took his power feed kit for the cross slide and carriage and added a controller to make a cnc lathe so I can cut my tapers with simple g code. Never the less hopefully our info helped someone.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I don’t know about his taper method. I took his power feed kit for the cross slide and carriage and added a controller to make a cnc lathe so I can cut my tapers with simple g code. Never the less hopefully our info helped someone.

It helped me:).

To be fair, the web site now implies you have to build
the lathe yourself. And my interest is in the CNC, so
tapering is not an issue.

Assembling all the bits and pieces from scratch
is definitely more of a project than I want,
but i don't see it as a deal breaker.

Thanks a bunch.
Dale

stylz730

Registered
Dale, glad it helped. If you do decide to do it and have any questions let me know . I just finished converting mine to full cnc. I could let you know the do’s and dont’s of what I learned building it. I was out of my league when I started it but figured it out.

Jason

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Dale, glad it helped. If you do decide to do it and have any questions let me know . I just finished converting mine to full cnc. I could let you know the do’s and dont’s of what I learned building it. I was out of my league when I started it but figured it out.

Jason

I would be interested in details on converting to full CNC ... Pictures.... Video... etc. If you don't mind... I still have the stuff.... Might as well put it to good use if possible...
Email is captainjko2001@yahoo.com

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jason

Thanks a bunch - I really appreciate your offer.

Dale

JC

Coos Cues
I looked at all these taig based options before I decided to build my wall mounted linear actuator machine. No comparison really.

JC

stylz730

Registered
It is an alternative but a 3K alternative. When your on a budget and use it as a hobby sometime you have to look for cheaper alternatives What I have works good and it was a couple hundred dollars in parts to add on to my existing lathe. defiantly not comparable to what Todd offers in quality but in the end will do the same job.

Jason

Reactions: JC

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Good luck dealing with phil.....
Very little to no support.....
He falls in the category of he'll get you now.....
Or he'll get you later....
Which would you prefer?

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is an alternative to all this....I have one works very well......
http://www.midamericapool.com/cnc-tapering-machines.html

FWIW - I was aware of Todd's machine. Fine it is for profiling butts
or shafts in one direction but not practical to expand into a fully
functional CNC.

The BB6 at this point seems to be a CNC lathe DIY kit with few
instructions and even less "support".

Ya' think maybe he and the XZERO guy are cousins?

Dale

Last edited: