Eddie Cohen “DOOM” Color of Money Tribute

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Will for posting this......... I was a little worried about loosing my memory when I referred to the cue in the movie as a Joss Model N-7 cue in my post (#8).

That's how I recall this cue & my Runde Schon was completed the year before the movie was released. I recall this Joss cue in particular as it became very popular.

TX again Will.........I knew it was too early for the onset of dementia.

Matt B.

There are various permutations of the model, with different model designations. The first one was the #18 in the catalog, later referred to as a J18, J for Joss of course. This was a "gold letter Joss". This might be the closest on to the movie cue I think...Doom. Later it was called the N-7, no gold letters and has a Joss serial number.

But here is the thing...AFAIK, neither of them is identical to the movie prop cues. The movie cues don't have gold Joss letters on the joint, and they don't have inlays in the points.

I do believe there are (maybe) some Joss cues out there made to look just like the movie cues, but I don't recall a model designation.

If I remember correctly, the movie props were J18 "prototypes", and that's why there were no inlays in the points. The design was selected for the fact that the butt sleeve would stand out on film, nothing more, and certainly not anything to do with any resemblance to a Balabushka, obviously.

Of course....any or all of this could be wrong. It's just what I remember after years of stories from different sources.

Arguably the most famous pool cue in the world. You can see the current version in the link below, and in the inset video the original Doom...with no inlays in the points. So the Cohen Doom looks more like the commercially available Joss than Doom in the movie because of the inlays in the points. :wink:

https://josscues.com/cues/current-line/n7-color-of-money/

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
There are various permutations of the model, with different model designations. The first one was the #18 in the catalog, later referred to as a J18, J for Joss of course. This was a "gold letter Joss". This might be the closest on to the movie cue I think...Doom. Later it was called the N-7, no gold letters and has a Joss serial number.

But here is the thing...AFAIK, neither of them is identical to the movie prop cues. The movie cues don't have gold Joss letters on the joint, and they don't have inlays in the points.

I do believe there are (maybe) some Joss cues out there made to look just like the movie cues, but I don't recall a model designation.

If I remember correctly, the movie props were J18 "prototypes", and that's why there were no inlays in the points. The design was selected for the fact that the butt sleeve would stand out on film, nothing more, and certainly not anything to do with any resemblance to a Balabushka, obviously.

Of course....any or all of this could be wrong. It's just what I remember after years of stories from different sources.

Arguably the most famous pool cue in the world. You can see the current version in the link below, and in the inset video the original Doom...with no inlays in the points. So the Cohen Doom looks more like the commercially available Joss than Doom in the movie because of the inlays in the points. :wink:

I believe you're correct. In addition, there was a permutation to this cue that put, for lack of better description, long veneer and torch inlays between the points, probably one of the J series cues. The one I showed above was of course the original Model 18.

The ironic thing is, to anyone in the know, nothing about this cue or any subsequent variation bore any resemblance to a Balabushka:

No brown KU bumper.
Buttplate was not delrin.
Buttsleeve was not acrylic (maybe George used some ebony, but ones I've seen were acrylic).
Buttsleeve inlays weren't anything George would have done.
Wrap wasn't Cortland, or anything resembling it.
Points were too far apart at the wrap.
Points were too rounded, obviously early CNC.
Veneer (if you can call them that) colors nothing George would have had.
Joint collar rings didn't have the nickel rings (even though some of George's early cues didn't, the vast majority of the later cues did).
The finish is not a lacquer finish.

I'd have to go back and look, but I also suspect not a straight grain forearm; that might take a good look.

Looking back, I would have selected a different cue for this movie, but then again, I was not the director.

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Thread makes me remember one of my favorite cues. A j-18 that was stained, really made the point colors stand out. I've only seen one other one that had a stained forearm, and I still remember the terrible trade I made with that cue.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking back, I would have selected a different cue for this movie, but then again, I was not the director.

All the best,
WW

I would have definitely selected a different cue. I would have used a Balabushka replica. Something like what Adam did, without a signature of course. At least something that approximated a Balabushka.

But we are cue people, not movie people. I don't think they really cared if it looked like a Balabushka at all.

In the end, it was and is a fortunate thing for Joss.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best part is this cue has created its own provenance and will be remembered for a long time to come.
Kaiser is the original owner of one of the last cues made with ivory from Eddie Cohen unless he relocates.
It's also just flat out handsome design & is a true one of a kind design inspired by a truly great pool movie.
5 years...10 years from now, we'll still recall this cue because it's never going away...me very jealous.

Matt B.

p.s. Kaiser, hope you'll understand if I ask you for dibbs on this gem.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder why Eddie elected to build this cue using ivory for the joint but not the ferrules.
That was the main reason I hesitated getting this cue which was Kaiser's good fortune.
Eddie makes a handsome looking cue. His initial designs tended to resemble one another
with the rings but IMO, he really found his stride early last year with some great designs
and quite obviously, he is still on a roll with this dandy design.

Matt B.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder why Eddie elected to build this cue using ivory for the joint but not the ferrules.
That was the main reason I hesitated getting this cue which was Kaiser's good fortune.
Eddie makes a handsome looking cue. His initial designs tended to resemble one another
with the rings but IMO, he really found his stride early last year with some great designs
and quite obviously, he is still on a roll with this dandy design.

Matt B.

Ferrules are easily changed.

I often ask myself that when I see ivory on one part and not another, especially an ivory joint but not ivory ferrules. Honestly I think one need not question it too much. It's simply what the maker wanted to make or the buyer wanted. Whatever the reason....

Personally, I would want the ivory.

But I look at ferrules and tips like wheels and tires. You can change them to what you like.

Zirroe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only make Ivory ferrules when ordered
This was a cue I had made for SBE

The cue would have been close to $200 more with the ivory ferrules

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Eddie for the answer.......it's a glorious looking cue......Kaiser made a smart move to get it.

TxOnePocket

i'm ur huckleberry
Silver Member

Might this be Doom

wqLRv8O.jpg

RrtceD3.jpg

kWynLQ1.jpg

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, I stick with Eddie’s “Doom Cue” as the masterpiece.......it is just the best.
The splendid wrap, veneer selection, and the ring work is very creative. I think
it is just in a class by itself. One of my biggest regrets was not buying it before
Kaiser. Eddie has come up with some spectacular designs & his Doom Cue sure is.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still remains one of my all time favorite designs. This cue has a sense of distinct elegance.
The alternating direction of the rings is subtle but recognizably different even at 1st glance.
The color scheme is just terrific & to boot, a flat ivory joint makes this one just really sweet.

Diamond Jack

9-ball Player
Silver Member
the ring work is for race drivers, i like the second doom from

i'm ur huckleberry txonepocket​

much better