Do you know anyone that was buried with their cue?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm starting to prepare for life-changing move and so was trying to figure out which cues I want to keep or sell but there's one I'm thinking about being buried with and it made me think: do you know of anyone who was buried with a cue?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Yes, 14.1 player Richard Riggie was buried with his Tim Scruggs cue. Richard was from Baltimore, and played in the 60s and 70s, possibly earlier.

All the best,
WW

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do it right. Go for the whole shebang like Walter Lindrum:

CropperCapture[158].jpg

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, but my favorite Uncle insisted that we spread his ashes on the finish line at the horse racing track he frequented and told us he would haunt us if we didn't....so there he lies.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can you write on the headstone: “I’d rather be buried with my cue than my wife”? Ha ha.

The Bailiff: "Your honor, the next case is Mrs. Irene Blanchard who is accused of beating her husband to death with one of his 873 pool cues."

His Honor: "How many innings?"

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
The Bailiff: "Your honor, the next case is Mrs. Irene Blanchard who is accused of beating her husband to death with one of his 873 pool cues."

His Honor: "How many innings?"

I heard she was acquitted because there was no unedited video.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Know what graveyard?? ;)

No, and if I did, I wouldn't say. Wouldn't want to start any grave robberies.

By the way, Richard also owned a historic Joss cue, in that is was a six-pointed cue with veneers. They didn't make many of those. But my understanding is that the Scruggs cue went to the grave with him.

All the best,
WW

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you owned a cue that lead to forming great sentimental feelings about it being your favorite cue,
maybe then you would like to see that cue accompany you to your final resting place. Personally,
I think that is selfish act and undeserving of being promoted as something others should consider.

If the cue had any monetary value, I’d want that cue to go to one of my relatives or friends or even
a charity to be sold for fund raising. Heck, give it to the ASPCA or St. Jude’s, or Wounded Vets but
at least allow someone else to benefit and at the same time keep great cues alive in the pool world.

Now there are several cues I designed from stem to stern. These cues are really special to me.
These cues would not exist if I did not order them to be built exactly the way they turned out.
I want those cues to go to my children to be remembered as what their dad loved and had
special made. One of my Owen cues is just amazing and IMO, it’d be a sin to not see that
cue survive after I am gone. I spent months figuring out the final design & it turned out great.

So when my kids look at my cue order file with my detailed sketches of what I wanted made
and view Bob’s photos of the build, that cue just comes to life & becomes even more stunning.
And years from now when someone asks them what kind of cue they are playing with, I hope
their first reply will......”My Dad’s, he designed it and Bob Owen built it.” The same could be said
about my Jerry R. Pool cues. Pool cues are just a tool to some but for others, they’re a lot more.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you owned a cue that lead to forming great sentimental feelings about it being your favorite cue,
maybe then you would like to see that cue accompany you to your final resting place. Personally,
I think that is selfish act and undeserving of being promoted as something others should consider.

If the cue had any monetary value, I’d want that cue to go to one of my relatives or friends or even
a charity to be sold for fund raising. Heck, give it to the ASPCA or St. Jude’s, or Wounded Vets but
at least allow someone else to benefit and at the same time keep great cues alive in the pool world.

Now there are several cues I designed from stem to stern. These cues are really special to me.
These cues would not exist if I did not order them to be built exactly the way they turned out.
I want those cues to go to my children to be remembered as what their dad loved and had
special made. One of my Owen cues is just amazing and IMO, it’d be a sin to not see that
cue survive after I am gone. I spent months figuring out the final design & it turned out great.

So when my kids look at my cue order file with my detailed sketches of what I wanted made
and view Bob’s photos of the build, that cue just comes to life & becomes even more stunning.
And years from now when someone asks them what kind of cue they are playing with, I hope
their first reply will......”My Dad’s, he designed it and Bob Owen built it.” The same could be said
about my Jerry R. Pool cues. Pool cues are just a tool to some but for others, they’re a lot more.

Agreed, the cue I'm considering is sentimental to me but is not a custom cue. It's an old Huebler I bought in the early 90's that has seen better days. It's possibly sentimental to them also and if one of them wanted it I would give it to them but I already have a couple of cues for them specifically.

I do have a cue lathe, I could always make one to be buried with...:thumbup:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Axes

There is an axe or two that I am surprised if they are still in the ground.

I used to say bury me with a fifth of whiskey and a bag of marshmallows, hard to know what conditions will really be like! Not too worried anyway. If I go to heaven, no worries. If I go to hell I'll be too busy shaking hands with old friends to worry!

Hu