Comic relief for a slow posting day...

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Ok, so I go to this little run down bar last night with some friends to go-off on hot wings and beer. We're all having a blast and then, you guessed it...I see a little run-down Valley 7-footer where a group of people were playing. Maybe, say, 7 or so people in rotation waiting to play.

I excuse myself from my friends and put up my $1 in quarters (this was the first time in a long time I've played on a bar box... how long have Valley's been $1? If it's not a Diamond, it's a rip off). But I put it up anyways and wait patiently, going through two bottles of beer before I'm up.

So, this girl was pretty much beating up on the guys. Her bridge was REALLY bad, but she was a good self-taught player. She gets up, breaks the balls, runs 2 or 3 balls, and then proceeds to BARELY tick off a ball and made her 4th ball. She huffs and puffs (looking aggravated) and tells me it's my turn.

I'm like, "No, you go ahead... that's a good shot. You called the ball and pocket."

She says, "It's a bad shot, I didn't call it off that ball."

I proceed to TRY to convince the girl to keep shooting when another guy comes up and asks me where I learned to play pool and that in this town (MY TOWN, BTW) people call their shots. This guy couldn't beat a mongoloid in pool, mind you. He looked like one of Jerry's Kids stroking a cue.

"Is that so?" I asked. "Let me tell you something, no one plays that way anywhere in the universe... if you're a player, you'd know that. She made a good shot, I was politely letting her know she could keep shooting."

Next thing ya know, the mongoloid calls over his friend, another Jerry's Kid-looking-like-player and asked if I played for money. Up to this point, I was a total gentleman the entire time when the girl I played started getting cocky too.

I calmly said I'd take the entire bar's action and they could bet what they could get when my friends had to rescue me and we left the dump.

I'm thinking that'll be the last time I try to play pool in a bar. It's not "pool" as us earthlings know it. It looks like it and smells like it, but it's not. I know everyone has very similar stories... thought you'd like to read another one.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love stuff like that:D I usually just find out how they play and adapt to avoid arguments. As long as we are playing by the same rules, I think I have the advantage.

So you didn't get any action?

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This could have easily been avoided if you showed up with your Billiards t-shirt. The would have backed off immediately.

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
Yeah Dave, you should have worn a Dead Stroke tee and the bone pocket chalker

they would have been like " AWWWWWWW Shit, it's the Pennsylvania Kid"

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
easy-e said:
I love stuff like that:D I usually just find out how they play and adapt to avoid arguments. As long as we are playing by the same rules, I think I have the advantage.

So you didn't get any action?

I almost never ask unless I'm gambling. Meaning, if someone says I made a bad shot (because I ticked a ball)... I'll pull up, sip my beer, and let them shoot. I think the reason why I pushed the girl to play was....well, she was a girl and I wanted her to keep trying to run out (for her benefit). I thought I was being a gentleman and then random strangers came up getting cocky.

Makes me wanna go in next wednesday night and instigate to death. I'm good at that. Never know, someone might step into one.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
corvette1340 said:
Pics of girl or it didn't happen, imo.

She was actually quite attractive. She looked a little "coky" if you know what I mean. No pics though. Come to think of it... that would have been the move!!! FUNNY!

I'll go in next wednesday, bap the bees nest around for a little bit, and then take a picture of the nits and post it here. That would be pretty funny.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
I almost never ask unless I'm gambling. Meaning, if someone says I made a bad shot (because I ticked a ball)... I'll pull up, sip my beer, and let them shoot. I think the reason why I pushed the girl to play was....well, she was a girl and I wanted her to keep trying to run out (for her benefit). I thought I was being a gentleman and then random strangers came up getting cocky.

Makes me wanna go in next wednesday night and instigate to death. I'm good at that. Never know, someone might step into one.

Good luck! The problem I find with people like that is they never bet too much. I think I have won well over a hundred beers though!:D

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
She was actually quite attractive. She looked a little "coky" if you know what I mean. No pics though. Come to think of it... that would have been the move!!! FUNNY!

I'll go in next wednesday, bap the bees nest around for a little bit, and then take a picture of the nits and post it here. That would be pretty funny.

Dude, that's the best kind

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:

tell her you're doing a story on bar room pool for a national billiard publication and then take some pictures of her boobs. Then beat her and her buddies out of many drinks and money. After that, hook up with her because you are the best shooter in the house. Be sure to take more pictures when sexytime takes place. In the morning throw her out and take another picture of her walking to her car.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
Thats a no win situation, if you play by their rules and happen to lose because you kiss the 8 ball or something you look like a chump and if you bet and win it's likely going to be trouble and their idea of action is probably two bucks.

If you beat them 2 or 3 games they won't bet anymore anyway.

Trying to explain how the rules really work to a bunch like this is a total waste of time.

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
Yeah, I dread when my non-pool friends want to play pool at a bar... They still play cue ball in hand behind the kitchen and lag for safety. Arrrrgh!!!

S.

skor

missing shots since 1995
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
I'm thinking that'll be the last time I try to play pool in a bar. It's not "pool" as us earthlings know it. It looks like it and smells like it, but it's not. I know everyone has very similar stories... thought you'd like to read another one.

It's all sticks and balls....
Different bars have different rules, who cares? usually it's just for fun anyway and if you're good enough then you can adapt to any rules and still win. When you walk into a bar you got to play their "house rules".

If I was in your shoes I would probably say thanks, run out and win the game and maybe even the girl.... :grin:

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
that situation sounds like you would be best to leave it alone. Its always the dumb asses who cant run 2 balls in the bar that want to fight over quarters or some perceived slight to their manhood.

Maybe you could go back and try to score with the girl though. She likes pool, you like pool....

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
skor said:
It's all sticks and balls....
Different bars have different rules, who cares? usually it's just for fun anyway and if you're good enough then you can adapt to any rules and still win. When you walk into a bar you got to play their "house rules".

If I was in your shoes I would probably say thanks, run out and win the game and maybe even the girl.... :grin:

I feel like a douche-bag running out on a girl who plays through her knuckles.
I could beat the bar 1-handed, that wasn't the point. The punchline was the fact the cocky guy went to get his "player" friend who looked so bad over a ball you would think he needed medical attention.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
I feel like a douche-bag running out on a girl who plays through her knuckles.
I could beat the bar 1-handed, that wasn't the point. The punchline was the fact the cocky guy went to get his "player" friend who looked so bad over a ball you would think he needed medical attention.

Hey, don't talk like that about their house pro. :D

Balabushka

Now that's a dress code.
Silver Member
LOL Great story.

I had a similar one last week, same circumstances except the moron I ran into told me all these fairy tale rules this bar had for Eight Ball, most which only applied to him, such as him completely missing any of his balls was not a foul.

Even appealing to the rest of his pool geniouses at the bar. So I quit. THen Einstein yells out, "Who's Next?".

I was tempted to ask him; "Hey, did you get your cue at Costco or Sam's Club?" -or- "THose decals are REALLY nice!"

Last edited:

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Funny story and I have enjoyed the replys.

Here on AZ, there have been a million conversations about the pro's cleaning up their image for the better good of pool. Stop the hustling, dress respectably, etc. etc.

These bar room nits do more damage to pools image on a daily basis than the worst pro's in a year. They have probably had the biggest impact on image, sponsorship than any other group. This is almost entirely out of any pool organizations control combat this ignorance. I think it is everyones responsibility as a player to attempt to educate these people for the best interest of our sport and image. IMHO.

P.S. I love the "claw" bridge with the Budweiser stick! Great hustling technique!

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol, you just described one day out of my week for the last 3 years! Haha, but seriously, I would have had to have told my friends that I would catch up with them later. I would have taken a cab home before I walk away from retards at a bar, I love to beat idiots way way too much.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My experience of playing in bars was that first I learned the rules of Eight Ball in that particular bar, and then I played accordingly. Often times they would pull a "rule" on me early on in my visit. I'd just chalk it up and keep playing. I knew I was going to win eventually anyway. It's much easier to just play by "their" rules. That way there are no complaints if you win. Or at least not too many. :wink: