Hitting Balls Hard

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran across this old video and it reminded me of a thread on here, not too long ago, about strokes and hitting the ball hard.

I do this for a few minutes every time before I start playing. I don't like bunting and babying balls unless it is absolutely necessary.

https://youtu.be/wvXkhdINjS4?t=343

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Ariel Carmeli used to make fun of me when we worked at Best Billiards because I used to try out cues by hitting the balls very firmly, what can I say I'm a banger. One time he asked me why I tested cues that way and I didn't really have a real answer but told him "all cues hit basically the same when you shoot softly".

He looked at me and kind of shrugged as if to say "that makes sense....sort of" and I guess it kind of does, there is no other way to test the limits unless you push the boundaries right? If you hit the balls hard you can see the maximum deflection from a certain setup and adjust from there, that was 22 years ago and I still whack balls pretty hard when testing out cues/shafts =)

Neil

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ariel Carmeli used to make fun of me when we worked at Best Billiards because I used to try out cues by hitting the balls very firmly, what can I say I'm a banger. One time he asked me why I tested cues that way and I didn't really have a real answer but told him "all cues hit basically the same when you shoot softly".

He looked at me and kind of shrugged as if to say "that makes sense....sort of" and I guess it kind of does, there is no other way to test the limits unless you push the boundaries right? If you hit the balls hard you can see the maximum deflection from a certain setup and adjust from there, that was 22 years ago and I still whack balls pretty hard when testing out cues/shafts =)

Neil
Over a year ago, one of our regulars in here who is one of the top players, wanted to try out my Revo 12.9 shaft before deciding whether to order one. At that time I was playing with a Revo, which I no longer do. He was setting up relatively hard shots and hitting them very hard - harder than he would ever play any shot during a game, with the exception of his break shot. I just couldn't make sense of it, but I guess it works for him. He did end up ordering a Revo, loves it, and it still playing with it.