Maybe a Tool to Feel Acceleration Cue Ball

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have the Digicue Blue and can see I'm middle ground on acceleration through the cue ball. My stroke is kind of a jerk from the pause instead of a slow steady acceleration through the cue ball. The Digicue measures this parameter so it's obvious.
I'm asking instructors if they know of a teaching device so we can feel a great acceleration like the professionals. Rubber band device? Maybe you've invented something. Please let me know how you've trained your students.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the Digicue Blue and can see I'm middle ground on acceleration through the cue ball. My stroke is kind of a jerk from the pause instead of a slow steady acceleration through the cue ball. The Digicue measures this parameter so it's obvious.
I'm asking instructors if they know of a teaching device so we can feel a great acceleration like the professionals. Rubber band device? Maybe you've invented something. Please let me know how you've trained your students.

While waiting for an Instructor to reply to your thread, this video may be of some help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BTQIigAbdg

John :)

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
While waiting for and Instructor to reply to your thread, this video may be of some help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BTQIigAbdg

I did watch it. Thanks Acceleration means to me having the cue start out at 0, 1,2, 3, 4 and at the cue ball 5, 6. My stroke starts 0-6 instantly it seems and maybe slows down through the cue ball. I'm about a 6 or 7 on follow through with the digicue blue so not a total loss but no where near 10.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did watch it. Thanks Acceleration means to me having the cue start out at 0, 1,2, 3, 4 and at the cue ball 5, 6. My stroke starts 0-6 instantly it seems and maybe slows down through the cue ball. I'm about a 6 or 7 on follow through with the digicue blue so not a total loss but no where near 10.

https://youtu.be/4FQ3E0Oo8yw?t=171

The cue between the index finger and thumb are the steering wheel. The other 3 fingers are the engine/gas pedal that propels the cue forward. Some players just use the middle finger and other players use the middle and ring finger for the engine to drive the cue forward. Control the engine/gas pedal. :)

John:)

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/4FQ3E0Oo8yw?t=171

The cue between the index finger and thumb are the steering wheel. The other 3 fingers are the engine/gas pedal that propels the cue forward. Some players just use the middle finger and other players use the middle and ring finger for the engine to drive the cue forward. Control the engine/gas pedal. :)

John:)

John, in general, I think it's a mistake to use your hand to control the speed of the cue. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't feel the cue moving with your hand, but the control should be coming from your arm because that's what's propelling the cue forward.

I used to like watching Jim Rempe play because of his stroke timing. It seemed as if he was giving the cue a little extra push at the end, even though he probably was just accelerating towards maximum speed at impact. So I tried imagining a little extra push at the end and it seemed to help players (including myself) continue to accelerate to impact and not slow down just before impact.

For the OP: As for devices, I don't know of any that can help you gain feel for stroke timing. I think it's something you have to learn for yourself. For me, that little extra push at the end to prevent slowing down and making sure I intend to follow through seem to help keep my cue at a good timing right through impact.

Obviously, following through happens after impact but the idea that you intend to follow through helps prevent slowing down too early.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John, in general, I think it's a mistake to use your hand to control the speed of the cue. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't feel the cue moving with your hand, but the control should be coming from your arm because that's what's propelling the cue forward.

If you or the OP get a chance watch all five videos they are all related.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKOy9gWj0nk&index=1&list=PLk5tKm_Bbex6P3eWytprPdsODrE0nSBUp

The finger/fingers start the cue forward and provide a feel for the shot. The finger/fingers send a message to the lower bicep muscle on how much power is to be delivered to the cue ball.

The follow thru of the cue is a result of letting the mass of the cue go past the cue balls location. The follow thru is not something that is forced. It just happens, unless of course a player intentionally stops the cue at impact of the cue ball.

Just my 2 cents. Your always willing to help answer players questions.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member

I used to like watching Jim Rempe play because of his stroke timing. It seemed as if he was giving the cue a little extra push at the end, even though he probably was just accelerating towards maximum speed at impact. So I tried imagining a little extra push at the end and it seemed to help players (including myself) continue to accelerate to impact and not slow down just before impact.

For the OP: As for devices, I don't know of any that can help you gain feel for stroke timing. I think it's something you have to learn for yourself. For me, that little extra push at the end to prevent slowing down and making sure I intend to follow through seem to help keep my cue at a good timing right through impact.

Obviously, following through happens after impact but the idea that you intend to follow through helps prevent slowing down too early.

A great post. Thanks.
Watch this 19 year old Russian girl for a nice stroke: A Fargo 703? Hardly.

https://www.facebook.com/RoysBasement/videos/358405401420445/

I want a stroke just like hers. Dreaming here.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting form - no practice strokes, loooong pause at back before shot stroke. Path-of-least-resistance position, thinner cuts and rolling CB.

Sure works for her.

pj
chgo

I don't think it's that extreme. I noticed the pause at the back but I've seen longer pauses than that. As for rolling the cb, that doesn't seem excessive to me either, at least not enough to take note of. She also strikes the cb with force very well. I think her stance is good. She leans the bottom half of her body back which is generally what the athletic players tend to do.

Two things that really jump out at me, and that's her extra long pause at address and that she doesn't take an approach into her stance. She's young, and the second one may change over time. The long pause at address is fine if you can do it.

Last edited: