whats the secret on cut shots on the short rail?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'm simply going by what I remember from Dr. Dave's and Bob J's data on throw when using various combinations of stun, roll, spin, or speed. There is always collision-induced throw, which is caused by the cb rubbing against the ob (friction - the ob's resistance to the cb rubbing). Since spin can increase or decrease friction at the contact point, I believe it's because an additional force, another friction vector, requires the ob to respond according to the direction of the additional force, the resulting friction being the combination of these forces.
I’d say it’s an increase or decrease of the same force. Maybe you’re saying the same thing...

You don't believe it. I'm good with that.:thumbup:
I don’t know if I believe it or not - can’t tell if we disagree substantively or just semantically. Fun, subtle topic for us nerds. :)

pj
chgo

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’d say it’s an increase or decrease of the same force. Maybe you’re saying the same thing...

I don’t know if I believe it or not - can’t tell if we disagree substantively or just semantically. Fun, subtle topic for us nerds. :)

pj
chgo

I don't think it's substantial. I have a bad habit, sometimes useful though, of tearing something apart to see how it works. That makes me think there are two frictional components at work upon collision, one vertical and one horizontal, both combining to result in a total friction during contact. It would make for a good nerd topic thread, the micro details of rolling, sliding, and spinning collisions between spheres.

So has the op solved his missed shot problem?

Last edited:

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think it's substantial. I have a bad habit, sometimes useful though, of tearing something apart to see how it works. That makes me think there are two frictional components at work upon collision, one vertical and one horizontal, both combining to result in a total friction during contact. It would make for a good nerd topic thread, the micro details of rolling, sliding, and spinning collisions between spheres.

So has the op solved his missed shot problem?

I’d be interested in learned opinions about whether, and to what degree, there is a difference between what I might call the “nature” of CIT and SIT. By “nature” I mean: do these two kinds of throw cause the same, or a functionally equivalent, effect on the OB? I have always had it in my head that an OB hit by a softly struck, sideways spinning CB will end up at a different ultimate destination than it would have but for the spin on the CB in part due to it “wandering” sideways as it travels to that destination (because it is “biting” into the cloth). Conversely, I’ve always had it in my head that an OB hit by a CB in a standard rolling CB, medium cut shot scenario would start off in a “thrown” direction (not 180 degrees) and continue to move in that direction (not “wander”). I’m now thinking that the latter is not true, and that an OB hit by a CB having no side spin will start spinning sideways and will “wander.” But are the paths of the OB in the two scenarios (CIT only vs. SIT only)(yes, I understand that he latter would require a direct hit with no cut) the same? If you were to draw lines/curves, would they look the same, in their basic nature (shape of the path/curve)?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’d be interested in learned opinions about whether, and to what degree, there is a difference between what I might call the “nature” of CIT and SIT. By “nature” I mean: do these two kinds of throw cause the same, or a functionally equivalent, effect on the OB? I have always had it in my head that an OB hit by a softly struck, sideways spinning CB will end up at a different ultimate destination than it would have but for the spin on the CB in part due to it “wandering” sideways as it travels to that destination (because it is “biting” into the cloth). Conversely, I’ve always had it in my head that an OB hit by a CB in a standard rolling CB, medium cut shot scenario would start off in a “thrown” direction (not 180 degrees) and continue to move in that direction (not “wander”). I’m now thinking that the latter is not true, and that an OB hit by a CB having no side spin will start spinning sideways and will “wander.” But are the paths of the OB in the two scenarios (CIT only vs. SIT only)(yes, I understand that he latter would require a direct hit with no cut) the same? If you were to draw lines/curves, would they look the same, in their basic nature (shape of the path/curve)?
https://www.billiards.colostate.edu/FAQ/throw/answers/

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

There are a few factors that come into play regarding ob throw (CIT and SIT), and most of these factors are covered on Dr. Dave's website. But I don't think there's much detail on the exact roll of the ob. Maybe because it's not prevalent when compared to the direction and amount of total throw.

A softly struck ob will be thrown quite a bit more via CIT and/or SIT. But with the perfect amount of outside spin the cb can roll off the ob, instead of sliding/rubbing, like a running back rolling off a tackle. In this case there will be zero throw. I think it's called the "gearing" effect.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks BC21. I knew about the gearing effect, which is a different issue than OB roll differences, if any, associated with CIT and SIT. I’ve looked at Dr. Dave’s materials, and I haven’t seen my question addressed. Maybe I missed it. Maybe it’s a dumb question (of the “not the best” kind). Maybe it’s what you suggested — it’s just not a material factor and isn’t worth attention or discussion.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yes, the OB will usually pick up some side spin from collision with the CB, but side spin by itself doesn't make a rolling ball curve significantly.

pj
chgo

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, the OB will usually pick up some side spin from collision with the CB, but side spin by itself doesn't make a rolling ball curve significantly.

pj
chgo

The possible, much-discussed exception being the recent John Schmidt run that ended with a curving cue ball that is something to behold.

My question really wasn’t whether the OB will pick up side spin, but rather whether the side spin imparted by english on the CB causes a different OB path than does side spin imparted by CIT. My instinct is that you can impart a lot more side spin on an OB with english than by cutting a ball, but that if you impart an equal amount of side spin by (a) using spin or (b) cutting a ball, the OB will react/behave in the same way.