Different stretch indexes for different cloths

11am

Registered
This is directed at RKC, but any knowledgeable response is appreciated. Will the indexing method for Simonis 860 cloth, developed by RKC, work on different types of table cloth, for instance, carom tables, or is the index arrived at differently? thanks

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Yes, the installation method is usable with any cloth. The indexes will be different from cloth to cloth, but, the methodology is the same.

Trent from Toledo

11am

Registered
Thank you for your quick response Trent, you addressed one half of the question which I concluded as well, that the Method arrived at, from stretching the cloth across from side pocket to side pocket to determine the 3/4 inch allowance and the marking system seems, and in fact IS very reasonable and logical for referencing Simonis 860, but to be more precise with my question, what is the initial stretching formula (3/4 in, 1.2 in, etc) for say, Simonis 300 series Carom cloth? Just curious to know does the indexing range change according to cloths, and thru experience, how much to initially stretch it to get the reference mark? the reason i ask is that i am in charge of servicing a small billiard room of 15) 4.5 x 9 pool tables, 1) 5x10 pool table (which I built) 1) 5x10 Snooker table, and 1) 12 x 6 snooker table (70's Gold Crown) All the tables are original 70's Cinncinatti nationals in very good physical and playing condition. I will be redoing the carom tables soon. i realize that the snooker tables are a different cloth altogether, and is meant to play slower. Fine suit cloth I believe it is, with a grain that runs from head to foot rail.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thank you for your quick response Trent, you addressed one half of the question which I concluded as well, that the Method arrived at, from stretching the cloth across from side pocket to side pocket to determine the 3/4 inch allowance and the marking system seems, and in fact IS very reasonable and logical for referencing Simonis 860, but to be more precise with my question, what is the initial stretching formula (3/4 in, 1.2 in, etc) for say, Simonis 300 series Carom cloth? Just curious to know does the indexing range change according to cloths, and thru experience, how much to initially stretch it to get the reference mark? the reason i ask is that i am in charge of servicing a small billiard room of 15) 4.5 x 9 pool tables, 1) 5x10 pool table (which I built) 1) 5x10 Snooker table, and 1) 12 x 6 snooker table (70's Gold Crown) All the tables are original 70's Cinncinatti nationals in very good physical and playing condition. I will be redoing the carom tables soon. i realize that the snooker tables are a different cloth altogether, and is meant to play slower. Fine suit cloth I believe it is, with a grain that runs from head to foot rail.

Maximum stretch side to side, what ever the cloth is, minus 3/4" slack gives you the working stretch of that cloth.

11am

Registered
Thank you RKC. I will take that advice. I spent a lot of time over the past months reading these threads, and thru them, have become acquainted with the info there in. For instance, i did find the info here, and then purchased the simonis 860 install dvd's which was a small price to pay for a very usable system, and a well presented instructional tutorial. thanks for that, and hope you get something on your end for that trouble. i'm a 66 year old guy who still does cabinetry and wood working for a living. I was requested to modify a 5x10 carom table into a pool table. Every inch above the frame required modification, and there was no room for error, and no existing templates to base the rail proportions against just to cut the pockets, which as it turns out, on the Cinncinati National pool table, there is a double compound angle that has to be precision cut into the rails. Very different from a Gold Crown profile (which is far better thought out for duplication, imo) Anyway, i got very familiar with your work in particular through this forum. I am fond of people who understand and can execute highly detailed work, something I have always aspired to, and have gotten lucky at more often than not. So my level of hack-dom has diminished over the years. That said, I used your methods for most of the rail and pocket tightening, as well as the fabric application for rails and slate. as well as leveling. I have witnessed terrible work on these tables, before I was asked to take it on. I have reached a conclusion about table mechanics. That being, there aren't many. My situation is unique, in that, I will not be handling anything but this one room, by choice. As i feel necessary, when instructing a person how I do what I do, I insist on crediting my influences, as a rule, so in regards to pool tables, I Cite your methods as the bar to attain, and point them to your products, and tutorials. You've been very helpful. Thank you, Jerry (11am)