Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page secret to long table bank shots
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-14-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
... What I do is draw an imaginary line from the ob to the bank rail. Then I find the midpoint on the rail to that pocket. Then I adjust incrementally (based on earlier testing of the rails) based on how close to bank rail the ob is.
I don't understand this. Here is what your description means to me up to the point of adjustment. Is this correct? X marks the midpoint.

Name:  CropperCapture[289].png
Views: 81
Size:  11.5 KB

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#17)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

04-14-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
What I do is draw an imaginary line from the ob to the bank rail. Then I find the midpoint on the rail to that pocket. Then I adjust incrementally (based on earlier testing of the rails) based on how close to bank rail the ob is.
Here's a way to figure the "equal angle" bank rail contact point with the ball and the target different distances from the bank rail.

The fraction of the "sideways" distance the ball travels to the bank rail is equal to the fraction of the total "vertical" distance it travels to get there.

pj
chgo

These are kicks, but the same principle works for banks.

Name:  Proportional Kicks.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  84.7 KB

Old
  (#18)
croscoe
Looking to Improve
croscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-14-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Another point for the OP to consider is that if you get spin on the object ball, it will change the bank angle and can be more than enough to miss (or make) the shot. Here is a demo of this idea. The eight ball is on the spot. The nine ball is exactly in the middle of the normal bank path. By using left or right side spin on the cue ball you can get right or left side spin on the object ball and then bank the eight ball on either side of the nine ball and still come back to the pocket.

Sometimes you get side spin on an object ball just by it being a cut shot. In the diagram, you put side spin on the cue ball to transfer some to the OB.

Attachment 517791

This is the point I was making. Left English on the cue ball as it arrives at OB can impart counterclockwise on object ball allowing you the short angle the shot. OB having spin goes wide if shot with light medium to slower speed. ( no flames we all judge speed slightly different I understand)

Last edited by croscoe; 04-14-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Old
  (#19)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

04-14-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
I don't understand this. Here is what your description means to me up to the point of adjustment. Is this correct? X marks the midpoint.

Attachment 517804
Right. The midpoint represents a perfect bank if the ob were on the bottom rail and there was no cb. So then I adjust my aim point to the left of the midpoint incrementally, based on how many diamonds up from the bottom rail the ob actually is. Sometimes the adjustment is 1 inch per diamond -- sometimes less, sometimes more, depending on how that rail is banking --- which I've determined before play starts.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Last edited by FranCrimi; 04-14-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Old
  (#20)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

04-14-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Here's a way to figure the "equal angle" bank rail contact point with the ball and the target different distances from the bank rail.

The fraction of the "sideways" distance the ball travels to the bank rail is equal to the fraction of the total "vertical" distance it travels to get there.

pj
chgo

Attachment 517805
That's very helpful. Thanks.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Old
  (#21)
bbb
AzB Gold Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

04-15-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:

pj
chgo

Attachment 517805
could you explain alittle more how you came upon your fractions please?
i am alittle dense...

Old
  (#22)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

04-15-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
could you explain alittle more how you came upon your fractions please?
i am alittle dense...
For the example on the left (kicking to the corner pocket):

- The CB is 2 diamonds "vertically" from the kick/bank cushion, and the kick/bank cushion is 4 diamonds "vertically" from the target - so the CB's total "vertical" travel to the target is 6 diamonds, and the CB travels 1/3 of that total distance to reach the kick/bank cushion.

- If the CB travels 1/3 of its total "vertical" distance to reach the kick/bank cushion, it must also travel 1/3 of its total "sideways" distance (parallel to the kick/bank cushion) to get there.

The fractions of the CB's "vertical" travel distance are dictated by the position of the CB and the target. The fractions of the CB's "sideways" travel distance are chosen to match the fractions of "vertical" travel distance.

Hope that helps,

pj
chgo

Last edited by Patrick Johnson; 04-15-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Old
  (#23)
bbb
AzB Gold Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

04-15-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
For the example on the left (kicking to the corner pocket):

- The CB is 2 diamonds "vertically" from the kick/bank cushion, and the kick/bank cushion is 4 diamonds "vertically" from the target - so the CB's total "vertical" travel to the target is 6 diamonds, and the CB travels 1/3 of that total distance to reach the kick/bank cushion.

- If the CB travels 1/3 of its total "vertical" distance to reach the kick/bank cushion, it must also travel 1/3 of its total "sideways" distance (parallel to the kick/bank cushion) to get there.

The fractions of the CB's "vertical" travel distance are dictated by the position of the CB and the target. The fractions of the CB's "sideways" travel distance are chosen to match the fractions of "vertical" travel distance.

Hope that helps,

pj
chgo
very help full.....
now i get it
thanks patrick....

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: