Watching mr. 400 trying to break the record

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly!!! My hat off to John Schmidt. He invested two months of his life into this attempt. So far, other than cheap talk I don't see anyone else stepping up. If anyone feels strongly about other professionals, then either stake-horse or create a gofundme page to make worth their while.

I get that- John deserves a lot of credit. However, there must be some incentive for John besides just beating mosconi. I don’t know what those specific financial incentives are, but there must be some to dedicate so much time to it. I’m just saying that if others had such incentives, they might do as well or better. Maybe not- John definitely deserves compliments for following through

thebark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday April 17 was Jon's last day. He had 3 more runs over 100 with the highest being 172. His totals for 22 days of play averaging 6 hours a day: 132 hours 75 runs over 100 over 200 14 over 300 6 over 400 1 with the high being 464. He averaged approximately 1100 to 1200 balls a day, and he gave maximum effort whether the run was 14 balls or 400. He made the last 4 weeks at BullShooters very exciting. Good luck to John next week at the US Open 9ball.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I get that- John deserves a lot of credit.
However, there must be some incentive for John besides just beating mosconi.
I don’t know what those specific financial incentives are, but there must be some
to dedicate so much time to it.

Is it not possible that the guy just really enjoys practicing straight pool?

I get the idea that John just loves to hit balls by himself and try to run big numbers.
Like, if he didn't get this gig at Bull Shooters, that's how he'd be spending a lot of his time anyway.
I read that for a while, every day he would run 100 before he left the house.

For a guy like that, if he gets paid $3 to practice straight pool, it's gravy.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday April 17 was Jon's last day. He had 3 more runs over 100 with the highest being 172. His totals for 22 days of play averaging 6 hours a day: 132 hours 75 runs over 100 over 200 14 over 300 6 over 400 1 with the high being 464. He averaged approximately 1100 to 1200 balls a day, and he gave maximum effort whether the run was 14 balls or 400. He made the last 4 weeks at BullShooters very exciting. Good luck to John next week at the US Open 9ball.

those runs are incredible.
Has anyone ever done this before?
In 50 to 100 years from now people will still talk about this.
If anyone still plays pool that is.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it not possible that the guy just really enjoys practicing straight pool?

I get the idea that John just loves to hit balls by himself and try to run big numbers.
Like, if he didn't get this gig at Bull Shooters, that's how he'd be spending a lot of his time anyway.
I read that for a while, every day he would run 100 before he left the house.

For a guy like that, if he gets paid $3 to practice straight pool, it's gravy.

It is definitely possible, but I think there is some type of financial incentive too- somebody is probably providing some type of sponsorship

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
those runs are incredible.
Has anyone ever done this before?
In 50 to 100 years from now people will still talk about this.
If anyone still plays pool that is.

Just to make the attempt and show up all those days and play at such a high level was incredible. Even though there are many that could play at that level if they decided to make the attempt, I don't think we'll see anyone try this soon if ever again.

Now watch, after all this, someone will be playing a match, exhibition or maybe even videoed practice somewhere and continue a run that will best the 526 without going through what John just did... It just wouldn't be fair... Unless it's John that does it :smile:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is definitely possible, but I think there is some type of financial incentive too- somebody is probably providing some type of sponsorship

I think that if you put a bounty on it, provided an easy table, and room and board, there are several guys out there that would bust the record in a few weeks.

And before anyone chirps -- no, I'm not interested in sponsoring something like this. I can barely get my own sorry ass to a tournament once in a blue moon nowadays.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder what the table specs are at the DCC straight pool challenge? ...
I think you meant "were" but for years the pockets were the standard 4.5 of Diamonds. This year two of the four tables were 4.25 by mistake, as described in another thread. The winning highest run (Filler's 285) was with 4.5-inch pockets. I'm not sure but Orcullo's 200-some run may have been on 4.25.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I don't think we'll see anyone try this soon if ever again. ...
I think we will see John trying again for most of the month of May at Easy Street in Monterey. Or did you mean "anyone else"?:)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wonder how John feels about all this. He didn't need to prove to anyone that he can run balls like the wind, for we already knew that. I feel that the way John framed this endeavor, he chose to take this test pass/fail and that he'll feel he failed.

... but he should feel good about giving 14.1 so much exposure. The game has practically disappeared in America. It's a game you very rarely see played in pool halls in all but a few cities and there are so few 14.1 tournaments that many of the pros play the game at Derby City only.

I really think John will set the record one day, but until then, I hope he'll stay positive. Wish him luck going forward.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Yeah I think he did some good with his run, and he beat his personal best which is always a great thing.

He’ll be a heck of a player when he grows up :)

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I think we will see John trying again for most of the month of May at Easy Street in Monterey. Or did you mean "anyone else"?:)

I didn't know John would be continuing the pursuit so quickly so I meant someone else in the future... Though I think it'll only get tougher for John, I admire his will. I wish John the best and will cheer him on and will be elated and relieved when\if he achieves his goal.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will there be weekend attempts?

If so, golf in the morning and then pool in the afternoon sounds fun... :grin-square:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The game has practically disappeared in America. It's a game you very rarely see played in pool halls in all but a few cities and there are so few 14.1 tournaments that many of the pros play the game at Derby City only

RED SHOES still holds 14.1 tournaments (once a month?).

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

OMG! My wife and I will be in Monterey the week of Memorial Day, from Tuesday thru Friday. I might be able to witness some POOL HISTORY.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Will there be weekend attempts?

If so, golf in the morning and then pool in the afternoon sounds fun... :grin-square:
John's schedule in Monterey is not as structured as in PHX. He often starts in the morning before the normal opening of the room. I don't think he does much/any golf during the tries.