Old
  (#1096)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 542

04-15-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Kraze View Post
Sometimes you see something that catches your eye and the only real reason is “why not”

At first sight, this set that I picked up from another collector just may qualify for that answer:

Then....you pull out your jeweler’s scale and put them to the the test of weight....and find they are remarkably within 1.0 grams across all 16 balls. And they are not silk screened numbers or coloring. Roll tests with the stimpmeter are perfect. Zero rolloff. A resin compound that cleans up well with minimal contact abrasions. Throw and skids are non existent with a clean cue ball....

Verdict: if it catches your eye and you like it, then buy them and play them. Bright colors. Bright whites that will make your table lighting look expensive The balls - Inexpensive. Something different. Just for fun.

~ K.
Quote:
Since things often come in pairs....or at least similar pairs:

This set comes from the same Chinese manufacturer as the one I shared previous to this one - same whites - variation in color.... and a surprise last night I hadn’t noticed before:

Both sets glow in the dark for hours after it’s lights-out.

~ K.
Excellent additions, sir and thank you for sharing! Glow in the dark balls...interesting. One would think you would need glow in the dark pocket liners so you know what your shooting at. I may have to get a set myself to try them out.

"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Pool ball collecting.
Old
  (#1097)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member
K2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Pool ball collecting. - 04-15-2019, 07:54 AM

The interesting thing about this discovery is that nothing was mentioned regarding GITD characteristics from the manufacturer in China that I could find. I discovered it by accident when closing down the table for the night and turned back to grab something. I’ll see if I can capture pics worth sharing tonight.

A side note: I’ll admit my curiosity got the best of me, so I did turn the balls over in the tray and turned the lights back on to allow the balls to get full light coverage.....and 5 minutes later it was back to lights out - as I rolled all 16 onto the table. Letting my eyes adjust for a few more minutes, I chalked up and ran balls for a few minutes. No lights on anywhere with the exception of the low output LED night lights here and there. Near perfect darkness. Surprisingly, it turned into a simple exercise in careful concentration on the natural fundamentals and letting the brain calculate quick details to make balls - and my potting success was quite high. I walked away thinking “huh, that was bizarre.” With a smile of course. Cheap GITD balls. I’ll be. No wonder they look so bright and brilliant under the normal table lights.

~ K.

New Cloth for the Raschigs
Old
  (#1098)
XPLSV
AzB Silver Member
XPLSV has a reputation beyond reputeXPLSV has a reputation beyond reputeXPLSV has a reputation beyond reputeXPLSV has a reputation beyond reputeXPLSV has a reputation beyond reputeXPLSV has a reputation beyond reputeXPLSV has a reputation beyond reputeXPLSV has a reputation beyond reputeXPLSV has a reputation beyond reputeXPLSV has a reputation beyond reputeXPLSV has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

New Cloth for the Raschigs - 04-15-2019, 08:27 PM

As I previously mentioned, the wonderful Raschig 9 Ball set inspired me to put on that new Simonis Tournament Blue cloth and replace my nearly 20 year old Artemis cushions on my 9 foot Diamond Professional table...which I did this weekend. I am the second owner of this lovely table and, despite having the cloth in hand when I acquired it three years ago, kept the almost like new Camel colored cloth on it as there was nothing wrong with it. I do think the Raschigs look even better on the blue background, although that is certainly my personal view. And, while I would never have considered my cushions dead, there is certainly an additional table length off a hard struck cue ball with the new ones!
Attached Images

_________

Bernie

9' Diamond Professional

Last edited by XPLSV; 04-15-2019 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Pic Swap

Old
  (#1099)
Buster8001
Did you say shrubberies?
Buster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond repute

04-16-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Sometimes you see something that catches your eye and the only real reason is “why not”

At first sight, this set that I picked up from another collector just may qualify for that answer:

Then....you pull out your jeweler’s scale and put them to the the test of weight....and find they are remarkably within 1.0 grams across all 16 balls. And they are not silk screened numbers or coloring. Roll tests with the stimpmeter are perfect. Zero rolloff. A resin compound that cleans up well with minimal contact abrasions. Throw and skids are non existent with a clean cue ball....

Verdict: if it catches your eye and you like it, then buy them and play them. Bright colors. Bright whites that will make your table lighting look expensive The balls - Inexpensive. Something different. Just for fun.

~ K.
Quote:
Since things often come in pairs....or at least similar pairs:

This set comes from the same Chinese manufacturer as the one I shared previous to this one - same whites - variation in color.... and a surprise last night I hadn’t noticed before:

Both sets glow in the dark for hours after it’s lights-out.

~ K.
Two very unique sets. I kinda like them.

Josh

"Eight ball up her thight!"
-Kung Fu Master-

"Pool is an analog game in a digital world."
-Chuck Fields-

Pool ball collecting.
Old
  (#1100)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member
K2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond repute

Pool ball collecting. - 04-17-2019, 11:26 AM

First impressions.

Most are fleeting. Many will linger. Very few are ingrained.

On a recent whim, I tried something to test impressions. And what triggers them.

I uncased the following ball set from my Brewery & Spirits section and placed them on the pool table in front of 4 other fellows before starting play for a few hours:

They walked closer, and I asked: “So tell me, boys, what comes to mind when you see this ball set?”

The answers in no particular order...
* beer
* pool
* some TV commercials way back when - which immediately followed with...
* Steve Mizerak!

Ah ha.

I followed that exclamation by asking the gents to tell me what they remember or know about The Miz. Remarkably, they ALL recalled with fanatical detail where they were, what they were doing and whom they were with when they saw the TV commercial that made Steve Mizerak famous - along with the obligatory “how much better” they all played pool back then as well. Uh huh. Didn’t we all.

On the surface, things typically look one way - but delve a little deeper and the cool and fascinating details begin to emerge.

The details making impressions.

In 1975, Miller Lite changed the way the world thought about beer. And who better to showcase such bravado than one of the most incredible pool players to grace our presence in that era - to be seen in pool-playing bars around the world - but Steve Mizerak - The man from NJ that started shooting pool at 4 years old who grew up and eventually taught school to make a living - and who was also a world champion that very few knew about. The Miz would quite literally become a household name in a mere 29 seconds “just showing off”.

I rattled off a few tidbits about the great Steve Mizerak to do a bit of showing off of my own while I had the floor for a minute or two:

* started playing exhibitions at 6
* he could run 50 balls at age 11 and over 100 by 13
* he turned pro at 13. Yes, you read that right - 13
* his 30+ major tournament victories spanned nearly 30 years
* he won the U.S. OPEN 14.1 Pocket Billiards Championship an unprecedented 4 years straight starting at age 26, besting a few guys in the finals you may have heard about: Lassiter, Balsis and DeLiberto
* he was the youngest person ever inducted into the BCA Hall of Fame in 1980
* he was inducted into the 14.1 Hall Of Fame in 2017
* he said they shot that one scene 191 times because the damn thing was always out of focus or someone sneezed. A door slammed. A light flickered. Always something - taking nearly 9 hours to film it. The best part: he says he never missed the shot.
* overall, revered by all peers as a pure class act and gentleman. A role model if there ever was one.

The pool room stayed mouse-quiet for what seemed like minutes. My four pals were in awe I think of what they didn’t know about Steve Mizerak just moments earlier. I’ve been in awe of the man for decades since meeting him in person back in Las Vegas as a youngster in my early 20’s. Those memories even spawned the idea to have his 11 or so books in a special Mizerak section in my library. Take one home if you like for a fun read. And a few lessons.

Most guys don’t notice the Mizerak books amongst the 450+ selections in my cue sports library or remember the commercials or his VHS tapes - but one thing I do know that they’ll never forget is this Miller Lite ball set and the games we played that day. New memories forged to go with those early first impressions.

For fun, do some quick www searching for things on The Miz and see if he won’t inspire you just a little bit.

~ K.

Last edited by K2Kraze; 04-17-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Old
  (#1101)
Rubik's Cube
Pool ball collector.
Rubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond repute

04-17-2019, 02:38 PM

Yet another superb write up to accompany your beautiful photographs, Mr K.

Thank you, dear chap, for taking such time and trouble to really make your valued contributions so entertaining and informative for everyone.

Best wishes,
RC.

Old
  (#1102)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 542

04-18-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
First impressions.

Most are fleeting. Many will linger. Very few are ingrained.

On a recent whim, I tried something to test impressions. And what triggers them.

I uncased the following ball set from my Brewery & Spirits section and placed them on the pool table in front of 4 other fellows before starting play for a few hours:

They walked closer, and I asked: “So tell me, boys, what comes to mind when you see this ball set?”

The answers in no particular order...
* beer
* pool
* some TV commercials way back when - which immediately followed with...
* Steve Mizerak!

Ah ha.

I followed that exclamation by asking the gents to tell me what they remember or know about The Miz. Remarkably, they ALL recalled with fanatical detail where they were, what they were doing and whom they were with when they saw the TV commercial that made Steve Mizerak famous - along with the obligatory “how much better” they all played pool back then as well. Uh huh. Didn’t we all.

On the surface, things typically look one way - but delve a little deeper and the cool and fascinating details begin to emerge.

The details making impressions.

In 1975, Miller Lite changed the way the world thought about beer. And who better to showcase such bravado than one of the most incredible pool players to grace our presence in that era - to be seen in pool-playing bars around the world - but Steve Mizerak - The man from NJ that started shooting pool at 4 years old who grew up and eventually taught school to make a living - and who was also a world champion that very few knew about. The Miz would quite literally become a household name in a mere 29 seconds “just showing off”.

I rattled off a few tidbits about the great Steve Mizerak to do a bit of showing off of my own while I had the floor for a minute or two:

* started playing exhibitions at 6
* he could run 50 balls at age 11 and over 100 by 13
* he turned pro at 13. Yes, you read that right - 13
* his 30+ major tournament victories spanned nearly 30 years
* he won the U.S. OPEN 14.1 Pocket Billiards Championship an unprecedented 4 years straight starting at age 26, besting a few guys in the finals you may have heard about: Lassiter, Balsis and DeLiberto
* he was the youngest person ever inducted into the BCA Hall of Fame in 1980
* he was inducted into the 14.1 Hall Of Fame in 2017
* he said they shot that one scene 191 times because the damn thing was always out of focus or someone sneezed. A door slammed. A light flickered. Always something - taking nearly 9 hours to film it. The best part: he says he never missed the shot.
* overall, revered by all peers as a pure class act and gentleman. A role model if there ever was one.

The pool room stayed mouse-quiet for what seemed like minutes. My four pals were in awe I think of what they didn’t know about Steve Mizerak just moments earlier. I’ve been in awe of the man for decades since meeting him in person back in Las Vegas as a youngster in my early 20’s. Those memories even spawned the idea to have his 11 or so books in a special Mizerak section in my library. Take one home if you like for a fun read. And a few lessons.

Most guys don’t notice the Mizerak books amongst the 450+ selections in my cue sports library or remember the commercials or his VHS tapes - but one thing I do know that they’ll never forget is this Miller Lite ball set and the games we played that day. New memories forged to go with those early first impressions.

For fun, do some quick www searching for things on The Miz and see if he won’t inspire you just a little bit.

~ K.
Excellent write up and interesting tidbits about The Miz. Interesting personal fact; he and I share the same birthplace: Perth Amboy, NJ.

"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Old
  (#1103)
bfriesth
Bolder
bfriesth is on a distinguished road

New Member - 04-18-2019, 03:40 PM

Not sure what happened exactly but my friend obtained a set of Amarith Tournament balls in December and something clicked. I have enjoyed the four sets I have at home but never thought about collecting until I saw those Tournaments. Now apparently I'm obsessed. I started searching online and of course this AZ Forum kept popping up in my search results. It has taken me a few days but have read the entire three years of this string. I now know more about pool balls and collecting than I ever thought I would. I am very interested in working on my collection and have appreciated all of the information found in this forum. In my short collecting career I have obtained a set of Burt Double Stripe clay, Hyatt Romanique II, Vigma Stars and Stripes, Aramith Tournament, Crown Games Poker, Brunswick Clay and Brunswick Centennial. I love these sets and am enjoying the search. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

Thanks to all the contributors in this Forum.

Old
  (#1104)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member

04-18-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfriesth View Post
Not sure what happened exactly but my friend obtained a set of Amarith Tournament balls in December and something clicked. I have enjoyed the four sets I have at home but never thought about collecting until I saw those Tournaments. Now apparently I'm obsessed. I started searching online and of course this AZ Forum kept popping up in my search results. It has taken me a few days but have read the entire three years of this string. I now know more about pool balls and collecting than I ever thought I would. I am very interested in working on my collection and have appreciated all of the information found in this forum. In my short collecting career I have obtained a set of Burt Double Stripe clay, Hyatt Romanique II, Vigma Stars and Stripes, Aramith Tournament, Crown Games Poker, Brunswick Clay and Brunswick Centennial. I love these sets and am eMy wife thinks I'm crazy.

Welcome to the forum and our crazy little world of billiard ball collectors and fans of the PBC, Mr. bfriesth!

That’s an impressive collection you’ve got started there, sir. The rare Burts. The magical Romanique IIs. The playful Pokers. And of course the beloved Brunswicks! Perhaps when you get the chance, we’d love to see a pic or two posted up here - I know I would.

Thanks for sharing your story - and your great collection. Anything I can do to help further your crazy, please don’t hesitate to fire off a personal message (PM) or an email anytime. I can also be reached at toKerry@aol.com

“apparently obsessed”

I’m still chuckling about that.

~ K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#1105)
Rubik's Cube
Pool ball collector.
Rubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond repute

04-19-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldnthinkof01 View Post
I love this thread just as much as I love looking
through the cue and case gallery or the
for sale section. So many cool sets.
Thank you

Thank you for those kind words, Mr C.

It is very rewarding indeed to hear that you love the thread. It gives us all the motivation we need to keep on collecting!

Best wishes,
RC.

Old
  (#1106)
Rubik's Cube
Pool ball collector.

04-19-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfriesth View Post
Not sure what happened exactly but my friend obtained a set of Amarith Tournament balls in December and something clicked. I have enjoyed the four sets I have at home but never thought about collecting until I saw those Tournaments. Now apparently I'm obsessed. I started searching online and of course this AZ Forum kept popping up in my search results. It has taken me a few days but have read the entire three years of this string. I now know more about pool balls and collecting than I ever thought I would. I am very interested in working on my collection and have appreciated all of the information found in this forum. In my short collecting career I have obtained a set of Burt Double Stripe clay, Hyatt Romanique II, Vigma Stars and Stripes, Aramith Tournament, Crown Games Poker, Brunswick Clay and Brunswick Centennial. I love these sets and am enjoying the search. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

Welcome to the forum, Mr B.

That is already a very impressive collection, sir. I share K2K’s sentiments in that I would love to see some photographs whenever you get an opportunity to share a few images.

Also, if you (or anyone else) ever want to reach out to me directly, please feel free to send a private message on AZB or use my personal email of ruperman@ruperman.com

Best wishes,
RC.

Novelty Ball Quality?
Old
  (#1107)
jviss
AzB Silver Member
jviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond repute

Novelty Ball Quality? - 04-19-2019, 07:04 AM

Are these any good? They are Boston Bruins balls, other teams available, list for about $225, street price $172.

Does anyone know who makes them, and if they are any good, will hold up, retain their gloss, etc.? Reasonable weight variation?

Old
  (#1108)
Rubik's Cube
Pool ball collector.

04-19-2019, 08:24 AM

Hello, Mr J.

I haven’t had the pleasure of adding any of the sport themed billiard balls to my collection... yet.

As I’m sure you are already aware, sir, the original NFL sets were cast by the mighty Aramith of Belgium and are therefore of a superb quality. Those NHL balls of your image do look to be of a very similar style, dear chap, but they’re not listed on the Saluc (Aramith) website so it might be prudent to assume they could originate from one of the many Chinese manufacturers?

Sorry I couldn’t answer your question, sir. Hopefully somebody else will chime in with more detailed information.

Best wishes,
RC.

Pool ball collecting.
Old
  (#1109)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member

Pool ball collecting. - 04-19-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jviss View Post
Are these any good? They are Boston Bruins balls, other teams available, list for about $225, street price $172.

Does anyone know who makes them, and if they are any good, will hold up, retain their gloss, etc.? Reasonable weight variation?

Hello, jviss-

The licensed sport balls are made by Imperial. NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB and so on.

Are they any good? Well - of course they are

Don’t compare the finish and polish to a $450 set of Aramith Tournaments or those $500+ Centennials of course, but every other detail about the sport themed sets are worth every penny, sir.

The weights are spot-on. They play well and will stay near-perfect will diligent care and attention to cleaning techniques since they don’t employ the expensive Duramith finish like I mentioned with the Aramith sets.

I would consider having your favorite sport team balls (and their best rival) amongst your top 10 desirables. There’s something special about playing the myriad games with friends and foes using team balls.

~ K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by K2Kraze; 04-19-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Old
  (#1110)
jviss
AzB Silver Member
jviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond repute

04-19-2019, 09:03 AM

Thank you, K2 and RC, for the nice replies.

I confess, I'd love to have a set that were Bruins at home (solids) and Montreal Canadiens away (stripes). The only was I can imagine doing this is to buy two sets. Perhaps there's someone out there who would like the complementary set?

Page 74 of 85 « First 2464727374 757684 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: