Table advice please

Outlander

Registered
We close on a new house early May. I want to put a pool table downstairs.

Budget is whatever it needs to be but I'd prefer used. I can drive the pickup to about anywhere within a day's drive or so or Branson, MO.

I want a competition quality 9' table.

Any pre-purchase tips on table brands, cloth type or anything else that you think it would be helpful to know?

Thanks.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold Crown (preferably a Gold Crown 1) with Simonis. Depending upon your market, for a good table you should be able to buy for $1,000-$2,000. Setup and pocket modification (if that is desired) would be in addition to that.

I would be very discriminating on choosing a table mechanic as it that will make a big difference in how the table plays.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We close on a new house early May. I want to put a pool table downstairs.

Budget is whatever it needs to be but I'd prefer used. I can drive the pickup to about anywhere within a day's drive or so or Branson, MO.

I want a competition quality 9' table.

Any pre-purchase tips on table brands, cloth type or anything else that you think it would be helpful to know?

Thanks.

I’ll give you three choices.

1. Gold Crown 4. Doesn’t need any rail modifications. Plays very similar to a Blue label Diamond.

2. Blue label Diamond. It’s the current gold standard.

3. Any other GC or Diamond. They will need modifications to play to current standards. If you have big bucks go for a Centennial or Anniversary.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll give you three choices.

1. Gold Crown 4. Doesn’t need any rail modifications. Plays very similar to a Blue label Diamond.

2. Blue label Diamond. It’s the current gold standard.

3. Any other GC or Diamond. They will need modifications to play to current standards. If you have big bucks go for a Centennial or Anniversary.

Good post! Totally agree, but what about later GC III's? I was thinking it was just the GC I and II's and early III's that needed the rail mods? I could be wrong.

I would just like to add one thing from personal experience in dealing with the older Brunswicks like the Anniversary and Centennials. They are great tables, and look beautiful, but yeah they tend to be money pits if you want them to play like a modern GC, and it sounds like you are wanting performance as a top priority. Rail mods can go as high as 1500.00 for those tables if done professionally, and really if you want to maintain the value of the table that would be the way to go IMHO.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Good post! Totally agree, but what about later GC III's? I was thinking it was just the GC I and II's and early III's that needed the rail mods? I could be wrong.

I would just like to add one thing from personal experience in dealing with the older Brunswicks like the Anniversary and Centennials. They are great tables, and look beautiful, but yeah they tend to be money pits if you want them to play like a modern GC, and it sounds like you are wanting performance as a top priority. Rail mods can go as high as 1500.00 for those tables if done professionally, and really if you want to maintain the value of the table that would be the way to go IMHO.

Good post! Buying any of the Brunswick's mentioned is worth the money alone and paying to have the rails modded is worth the money if you desire that. Getting to use something your entire life and still have it worth money at the end does not come with most things we purchase. Get something you want, would like to keep for ever and don't settle for less.

Make SURE you have a knowledgeable person look over anything you decide to buy! Happy hunting and GOOD LUCK!

Trent from Toledo

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have no idea what a newer GC3 would even look like but I’m sure the it will still leave black $hit all over your shaft if you rub the pockets. At least the 4 and newer are flush.

As long as the cushions are good the old tables will play fine, but they are very old. It’s just a problem when you need to replace them. If you can get a Centennial/Anniversary for a good bit less than 10 grand and spend a couple of grand on just rail work you’ll have a lifetime investment worth of pool playing.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I have no idea what a newer GC3 would even look like but I’m sure the it will still leave black $hit all over your shaft if you rub the pockets. At least the 4 and newer are flush.

As long as the cushions are good the old tables will play fine, but they are very old. It’s just a problem when you need to replace them. If you can get a Centennial/Anniversary for a good bit less than 10 grand and spend a couple of grand on just rail work you’ll have a lifetime investment worth of pool playing.

If you are using pockets from the 80's you may have black issues on cues. Anyone who knows what they are restoring, installing or selling, makes sure to use new original Brunswick or aftermarket GC4 pockets on 1, 2 and 3's. They are backward compatible and do not leave any marks.

Yes, the later model 3's need no rail mod's, you can tell they are later models because they have the same ball storage box metal as the GC4's do, or you can measure the old cushion, it would be 1 1/8" and the new ones are 1 1/4" ....

:)

Trent from Toledo

Outlander

Registered
Huge thanks to all that have posted so far. Your input has been written down and will be used.

If anyone else has thoughts please do share them. Don't let me saying thanks to the folks that posted so far be an indication that I am finished listening.

SlateMate

Banned
brunswick, olhausen or diamond. personally, i'd look for a diamond pro. there were two down here for sale but one guy was asking $1,500 BUT he was also charging $1,500 for the accessories so he was really selling for $3,000. it was a bait and switch. i passed. the other guy had an 8' pro that was really nice. i made him an offer but he didn't take it. no big deal... remember: there are MILLIONS of good quality pool tables out there and often people move and MUST have the table gone asap. that's when you can get a fantastic deal. search craigslist and offerup.

i'm going to go look at an Olhausen soon. the guy is sending me pics of the slate later today. as fate would have it, that table is located where an old friend will be staying when he visits florida so i can get the table and visit him at the same time.