getting across the table

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what is the best way to make the 8 ball and get across the table to be lined up for the 9 ball? im hitting low left with a stun stroke, and im getting close, but not consistently. is that the way to hit this shot??

tried center ball with a tip of left, but it seems like im missing one component of this shot. thanks, judo

Attachments

• cals test.png
    cals test.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 307

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the 8 ball is closer to the rail, I messed up on the chalky stick. probably one and a half ball away from the rail.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
judochoke...I'm not sure what the big deal is. Follow two rails with a tip of right english brings you up perfectly on the 9ball. You could also just stun the CB cross table with a centerball hit...no english necessary.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On your second diagram: This is a finesse shot where the spin moves the cue ball as opposed to force. A smooth delivery with high right spin (not the highest you can go, but pretty high) will bring the cue ball forward two rails, possibly the three, depending on how much inside English you're comfortable using. If you hit this with too much force or too close to the center of the cue ball, the object ball is in danger of jawing the pocket. Players like Efren Reyes are masters of this type of shot.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I agree with Scott and Fran. I like the follow shot with inside English. You don't have to hit the CB as hard as some other options would require you to.

If you don't like inside English shots (as some players don't) practicing these types of shots will really open up other positional options for you on the table.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with Scott and Fran. ...
Here is the shot again at a size that will fit on more screens:

CropperCapture[287].png

I agree with Tony and the others. The shot you show is almost straight in. To get straight on the 9 ball by coming straight across the table, you have to hit the shot very hard and not get any unintended spin on the cue ball.

I suggest you try the following: with the 8 in the position shown, place the cue ball about the same distance but with more cut angle (place the cue ball closer to the 9 ball). Then bring the cue ball straight off the cushion with a stun shot. The idea is to start with a shot that is easy to do for the way you wanted to try it. Play the shot some more but gradually move the cue ball closer to a straight in until you find where it's not likely for you to play that position. Your limit on this kind of shot is important to know.

A second part is to place the cue ball even closer to the top rail and see if you can stun over to a shot on the 9 without any cushion. Find your "too straight" limit for this shot as well.

(For the shot shown, I think I would have better results by drawing with left side spin to bring the cue ball to the end rail and back towards the 9 rather than stun straight across. But the right follow shot is best.)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I suggest you try the following: with the 8 in the position shown, place the cue ball about the same distance but with more cut angle (place the cue ball closer to the 9 ball). Then bring the cue ball straight off the cushion with a stun shot. The idea is to start with a shot that is easy to do for the way you wanted to try it. Play the shot some more but gradually move the cue ball closer to a straight in until you find where it's not likely for you to play that position. Your limit on this kind of shot is important to know.

A second part is to place the cue ball even closer to the top rail and see if you can stun over to a shot on the 9 without any cushion. Find your "too straight" limit for this shot as well.
Thanks! I'm using these. Learning the limits of shots and techniques has shortened many learning curves for me.

And thanks for the viewable pic. Don't some forums resize pics automatically?

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Last edited:

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is the shot im talking about.

Low brings the cue ball back and left widens the angle. I don't see why you would want to widen the angle coming back, you are trying to go across more than back. Plain stun would work but you have to hit harder then you want to get to the rail and across. Low helps get to the rail but you are still hitting pretty firm.

Scott and Fran have it right, don't draw at all, go forward with a little running English (right). Experiment with speed, high, and right to find the easiest combination for you. The running English is going to make the shot harder but speeds up the cue ball so you can hit softer and that makes the pocket play bigger (trade off).

Deciding to go low or high changes with distance to the object ball, distance the object ball is from the pocket, and how much angle you have. If you are close to the object ball and have pretty good angle the draw doesn't wear off as much and it is easier to get to the rail so you can use draw or stun without having to hit so hard. Draw is attractive if the object ball is a long way from the pocket. As the object ball gets closer to the pocket, and/or your angle lessens and the cue ball is farther from the object ball, the better going forward looks.

Last edited: