How long before a home table pays off?

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I work 50 hours a week, if not more. Tack on five 96 mile round trip drives to work taking up a total of 2-2.5 hours out of the day. All that adds up to rarely getting as much table time as I used to. I'll be buying a new house soon and hopefully we can find a house with room for even a seven footer, but I keep having thoughts that it might not be worth it.

How many of you play on your table at home consistently?

liakos

Banned
I work 7 days a week 10-14 hrs a day! I play 2-4 hrs a day at least 5 days a week! I love playing, so it's easy for me:) good luck

South_Florida

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just finally got a house again have been in apts for years, I had the table delivered 2 days after I moved in and love it.

As far as pay off of not having to go to pool halls to pay to play, that is one thing. The other thing is remember your first cue? You finally had some consistency to hit with. To me, I was like multiplying by 1000 with your own table that you get to learn the ins and outs of. You get to get billiard balls you like, maybe get another nice cue for a guest, anyway, I love having my own table and wished I had my own always!

I think people at hone with their own table have a serious advantages over others when they go to the pool hall.

kenny_74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play on my 8ft every day and love that I have the flexibility to practice at anytime. I would say its worth it.

sjb

evolving player
Silver Member
Hardly a day goes by that I don't spend some time on my table.

Get your own and use it. You'll love it.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I work 50 hours a week, if not more. Tack on five 96 mile round trip drives to work taking up a total of 2-2.5 hours out of the day. All that adds up to rarely getting as much table time as I used to. I'll be buying a new house soon and hopefully we can find a house with room for even a seven footer, but I keep having thoughts that it might not be worth it.

I love having a home table. We're also moving this year and when we looked at house plans, being able to accommodate my pool table was a top priority.

Do you enjoy practicing? If so, your game will definitely improve.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
My beautiful, quality table cost me $1300, used.

A game at a bar cost $1.

If I play 1300 games on it, I'm even (not counting travel, etc.). If I play, say, 10 games a day or equivalent, it takes only 130 days to pay off.

Then add in what the other posters have said about improved play and it becomes more than worth it, imho.

I'm going for one million balls, so a home table is a must for that goal.

Jeff Livingston

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a home table and play almost every day on it. Definitely worth the investment. So easy to just go to it and hit some balls when you're waiting on something or have a little down time.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you are married it is worth every penny! If you gamble you will be better player and one day you will break even or make 10% investment (if you find players to play you even). If you live too far from a pool hall it is worth it. Finally if you are single you can play at pool hall(s) all the time, say max 3 hrs a day @ $20 a day x 5= 100 a week, x 52 that is $5200 a week in 10 years that is $52000 , you can cut one hour in practice at pool hall if you have a table, that is $5.00 x 5 days x 52 x 10= $13k saving in 10 years !

South_Florida

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a home table and play almost every day on it. Definitely worth the investment. So easy to just go to it and hit some balls when you're waiting on something or have a little down time.

Good point, like when the wife has to go change for the third time before you leave, take your time honey.:wink:

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Even if it sits in the garage like a $50,000 classic car, its nice knowing the table is there. And no matter how little you play now, you will certainly be playing more. For me it was living a dream....the best money I ever spent.

Kracken

Belly Hooked
The payoff for me is seeing my kids playing on the table and passing on the game to them, worth every penny.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I play on mine every day but I don't work (or drive to work) as much as you.

One really nice aspect of it is that if you start practicing/playing but quickly realize that you're just not into it that day, you just walk away. There's no feeling like "I drove all this way to the poolroom and I need to make the trip worth it."

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member

I play just about every day on mine for 6 years. Depends how far poolroom/bar is away from your house and how much an hour they charge. Gas to get there and probably buy something to eat if play more than a few hours. Just having a table at home that you can play on anytime you get the urge 24/7 is worth it to me. JT

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
The dangers of a home table:

Shooting balls with little purpose.

Practicing the wrong way or the wrong things.

Forgetting how to play in public and win.

Playing lazy pool.

There are more that I can't think of right now. Perhaps others can chime in.

Jeff Livingston

vvsels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could always find 1/2 hr to play during week days and few more hours during weekends. One biggest advantage of having a pool table is you could just pick up a cue and play whenever you are at home.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I have a home table, it's my 4th one. Two Diamonds, a Olhausen and a cheapy bar table was my first. I've settled in with my 9' Diamond Pro and I love it. About to get the rails redone as soon as I get the money saved up.

I play on it at least a few hours per week, much more during the winter and colder weather. I rarely go to the pool rooms, I don't have to and not really interested in the gambling scene. My games stays sharp and I have a few friends that come over and play quite often.

Any house purchases in the future MUST have room for a 9' table, no exceptions. I built my current house around the table as well.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The dangers of a home table:

Shooting balls with little purpose.

Practicing the wrong way or the wrong things.

Forgetting how to play in public and win.

Playing lazy pool.

There are more that I can't think of right now. Perhaps others can chime in.

Jeff Livingston

More dangers. You will buy pool related stuff. Cues,posters,spectator chairs,extra set of balls, ball cleaner, cue cases, wall racks, gross of chalk, JTS BROWN.
Leave your wallet on the table.
Also creates internal problems. I start a fight with my wife ... She tells me go away and locks me in the basement. I hate when that happens.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
almost every day ill hit a few balls
on the weekends i can sometimes get 2-3 hours in
for me its relaxing and it was "paid off' with the first rack of balls i played on it....:)