Name the pro playes using LD shafts

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pros would probably play with an LD mop handle if the manufacturer was paying for their expenses.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
LD shafts are like flushable wipes. A long time ago nobody used them. Then some people started. Now lots of people use them. Soon, everyone will be using them. Eventually, only hold outs will stick to the old ways...

-td

z_squares

Registered
As someone posted already, any of the older ones, and many Philipino players. Reyes, Bustie, Hall, Strickland (his shaft is very particular, he takes the taper down wayyyy to the back, it's like a 20" pro taper, the same diameter almost all the way to the joint).
Thank you. I think Alex Pagulayan plays with an Ariel Carmelli too. Interesting nugget about Strickland. Didn't know that. Well he is an interesting guy. I heard a lot of the East Asian pros (Taiwanese, Japanese, Chinese) play with custom cues too. Not sure if they're using the shafts that come with it or adding production LD shafts.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
A guy told me today no one who likes to spin the ball uses a LD shaft and their for amateur players what pro players play with one .

One thing to consider is how are you defining LD shafts? the amount of squirt varies from shaft to shaft, like the Revo has less squirt than the original 314 pre-cat. Some custom cues have maple shafts with short/light ferrules and thinner diameter / longer tapers that reduce squirt. Low Deflection --- compared to what?might be a good question to also ask. Sometimes I wonder just how much reduction in squirt there is from say a predator revo to a 12mm Schon with a 1/4" juma ferrule.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. I think Alex Pagulayan plays with an Ariel Carmelli too. Interesting nugget about Strickland. Didn't know that. Well he is an interesting guy. I heard a lot of the East Asian pros (Taiwanese, Japanese, Chinese) play with custom cues too. Not sure if they're using the shafts that come with it or adding production LD shafts.

You can see how straight Earl's shaft taper is in this pic, and a few others.

fac_10929-strickland-downs-can-twice-to-take-predator-open-hagan-wins-amateur-event.jpg

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
You didn't understand what I was saying...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but stroke error forgiveness depends on how close together your shaft’s pivot length and your bridge length are (think of how backhand English works) - and most bridge lengths are in the range of pivot lengths of non-LD shaft’s (~12” or less).

pj
chgo

That's in relation to execution, i.e. dependent on the player...What I was referring to was how there is less deviation from original aimpoint with ld shafts.

Jaden

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
That's in relation to execution, i.e. dependent on the player...What I was referring to was how there is less deviation from original aimpoint with ld shafts.

Jaden
Yes, if you stroke accurately. If you don't the outcome is worse with a LD shaft. LD shafts are generally less "forgiving" of stroke errors than higher squirt shafts - i.e., they have smaller margins of stroke error.

I don't think they have larger margins of aiming error - but they do have smaller estimations of squirt adjustment, which is kinda similar in concept.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing to consider is how are you defining LD shafts? the amount of squirt varies from shaft to shaft, like the Revo has less squirt than the original 314 pre-cat. Some custom cues have maple shafts with short/light ferrules and thinner diameter / longer tapers that reduce squirt. Low Deflection --- compared to what?might be a good question to also ask. Sometimes I wonder just how much reduction in squirt there is from say a predator revo to a 12mm Schon with a 1/4" juma ferrule.

A ton.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Unless they've changed recently, most of the top Taiwanese men play with regular shafts and most of them like 13mm, or greater, with stiff tapers.

Seems that most of them prefer Southwests.

Their style of playing is "close to center"...you don't see them "juicing up the ball" a lot where deflection is the greatest from hitting further outside.

They learn how to "control" the deflection their cues have and use it to their advantage, if needed.