Subliminal learning?

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone ever experimented with ‘sleep learning’ a checklist of basic principles (where is the CB going?, watch the object ball, keep your head down, etc.) in order to program your subconscious before bending over a shot?

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone ever experimented with ‘sleep learning’ a checklist of basic principles (where is the CB going?, watch the object ball, keep your head down, etc.) in order to program your subconscious before bending over a shot?

Typically when I listened to hypnosis dvds I would fall asleep if that is what you are referring to?

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Typically when I listened to hypnosis dvds I would fall asleep if that is what you are referring to?

Yes. Though I think it would be harder to fall asleep if it was playing initially. I would record an endless loop of a few select pointers, and bring up the volume very gradually.
If the idea is valid, surely it must have already been tried for other sports where the mastering of multiple simultaneous skills is essential?

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Through repetition comes familiarity type of thing?
Fundamentals are usually a developed skill. Thought processes become second nature and you place less emphasis on the basics as you advance in skill. Decisions come faster. You've learned "good habits."
I'm sure most competent players in any sport could agree there was a mental itinerary they ran through their minds before getting in the game.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think one can learn to play or improve off the table, generally.

Of course, one can learn new shots from books and see previously unknown shots in vids, but execution is learned through execution.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don't think one can learn to play or improve off the table, generally.

Of course, one can learn new shots from books and see previously unknown shots in vids, but execution is learned through execution.

Buddy Hall was a good player when he was young....
....then he had a dream about his bridge arm...
...then he started giving good players weight.

Knowledge is like gold...it’s where you find it.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[QUOTE....execution is learned through execution.[/QUOTE]

True enough, but largely my concern is ‘unlearning’ bad habits (learned long ago through repetitive ‘execution’). Most anyone can easily master any single facet of my suggested ‘checklist’, by consciously focusing. The trick is training your subconscious to help you perform them all simultaneously.