slate joint shifted

Werewoof

Hello everyone! I think this is actually the very first time I have posted anything here. I've been lurking and ghosting these forums for a few years.
I got a second hand table from a friend about a year ago. It's not an a GC or a diamond, it's what I could afford. Actually,he bought it brand new and the table was less than a year old when he had to suddenly get rid of it and offered it to me free.
Anyway, now, less than a year after having it I have noticed that one of the slate joints has shifted. So, before I call my pool table guy, I am hoping for a bit of advice so that I can approach him with at least a little bit of knowledge.
As far as I can determine there seem to be basically four factors that might cause this to happen.

1-some shift in the floor beneath the table.
I see this as very unlikely. The table is sitting on a tile floor over concrete, and there are no cracks evident. But, I suppose anything is possible

2- some fault in the actual installation. I have no reason to believe that this could be the case, The guy seemed to be very professional and I did check his credentials locally.

3-somebody has moved the table after it had been set up. All I can say is that nobody has ever played on this table when I was not in the room with them. The only 2 people living here are my wife and I, and she stays out of that room, even refuses to do any cleaning in there.

4- there is a flaw with the quality of the table itself. somehow I suspect this is what the guy is going to tell me when I call him.

I live in Florida, so the winter/summer humidity shift that was such a big issue when I lived up north is basically nonexistent.

Anyway, is there any other potential factor which I am overlooking?
I trust my table guy, but I also want to have a bit of knowledge before I call him.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hello everyone! I think this is actually the very first time I have posted anything here. I've been lurking and ghosting these forums for a few years.
I got a second hand table from a friend about a year ago. It's not an a GC or a diamond, it's what I could afford. Actually,he bought it brand new and the table was less than a year old when he had to suddenly get rid of it and offered it to me free.
Anyway, now, less than a year after having it I have noticed that one of the slate joints has shifted. So, before I call my pool table guy, I am hoping for a bit of advice so that I can approach him with at least a little bit of knowledge.
As far as I can determine there seem to be basically four factors that might cause this to happen.

1-some shift in the floor beneath the table.
I see this as very unlikely. The table is sitting on a tile floor over concrete, and there are no cracks evident. But, I suppose anything is possible

2- some fault in the actual installation. I have no reason to believe that this could be the case, The guy seemed to be very professional and I did check his credentials locally.

3-somebody has moved the table after it had been set up. All I can say is that nobody has ever played on this table when I was not in the room with them. The only 2 people living here are my wife and I, and she stays out of that room, even refuses to do any cleaning in there.

4- there is a flaw with the quality of the table itself. somehow I suspect this is what the guy is going to tell me when I call him.

I live in Florida, so the winter/summer humidity shift that was such a big issue when I lived up north is basically nonexistent.

Anyway, is there any other potential factor which I am overlooking?
I trust my table guy, but I also want to have a bit of knowledge before I call him.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.
If your installer had superglued the slate seams correctly that would never have happened.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hi RKC,
Can you explain how to super glue the slate.
Sorry, but that horse has been rode to death here in the mechanics forums. Explaining it again is just repeating what's already been explained at least 50 times.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, but that horse has been rode to death here in the mechanics forums. Explaining it again is just repeating what's already been explained at least 50 times.

Curios if people know there is a Search feature on the website.

49259570103_1612ebcbf8_c.jpg

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member

Werewoof

I'm back! So basically I'm reading that the only thing I did not think of was super gluing the joints... Right?

I am assuming that this is a universal technique which pool table mechanics should all be aware of?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm back! So basically I'm reading that the only thing I did not think of was super gluing the joints... Right?

I am assuming that this is a universal technique which pool table mechanics should all be aware of?

That would be correct.