Leather conditioner?

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a box of LePro tips purchased 25 yrs. ago that have been sitting around in my ‘climate controlled’ home. I know these were originally coated (to supposedly keep them from drying out/deteriorating), but apparently not forever since the ones I recently installed never mushroom (no longer need my tip burnishing tool) like the ones installed back when I bought them. Frequent miscues recently have me wondering if they could be softened/reconditioned? Or, would soaking in any kind of lanolin (?) product permeate the interior and leave an oily residue that would only make the problem worse? I always preferred a thicker one-piece tip, and the only med-hard replacement that seems appropriate (Otello) appears currently unobtainable in 13mm (?), unless the rumors I’ve heard of quality loss with new LePros have been exaggerated?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Those tips have already been soaked in something in order to become a tip. They don't need to be soaked in anything else. And time doesn't matter. The original tanning of a tip lasts decades, much longer than your tips are.

And, above all, don't soak them in anything with oil, per your description above. It's going to be a fail. The tips should still be fine

By the way, a miscue is a bad stroke, not a bad tip. I occasionally play with 40 year old Champions and LePros. They haven't changed a bit since new. Don't mess with old tips. Just use them.

All the best,
WW

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In retrospect, more likely some of the originals from that box were just softer than others. The harder examples probably only require more frequent roughing to be functional. Although, I believe it IS generally accepted that leather dries out and gets harder over time. Whether that applies to tanned tips remains to be seen. I might experiment by placing a few in an airtight container separated from a bit of water over an extended period, just to see if a higher moisture environment has any effect, though I am not sure whether ‘dried-out’ leather has lost H2O or some other solvent (?). I also think those who play with ElkMaster tips would disagree re: the relationship between ‘hardness’ & frequency of miscues when applying excessive english.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
In retrospect, more likely some of the originals from that box were just softer than others.

That's how it always is with single layer tips, some are harder than others.

The harder examples probably only require more frequent roughing to be functional.

Same with modern, new layered tips.

Although, I believe it IS generally accepted that leather dries out and gets harder over time. Whether that applies to tanned tips remains to be seen.

All tips go through a tanning process, or they wouldn't be tips.

I might experiment by placing a few in an airtight container separated from a bit of water over an extended period, just to see if a higher moisture environment has any effect, though I am not sure whether ‘dried-out’ leather has lost H2O or some other solvent (?).

Be my guest. You'll end up with soggy tips that need to dry out.

I also think those who play with ElkMaster tips would disagree re: the relationship between ‘hardness’ & frequency of miscues when applying excessive english.

I don't think so. Elk Master are fairly soft tips, and as long as the stroke is good, and there's chalk on the tip, I don't think they miscue any more than other other tip.

All the best,
WW

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you meant ElmMasters wouldn’t miscue any ‘less’, though I believe a softer tip allows the successful application of more english.
You are probably right about raising the moisture content (not worth the effort). Everybody knows that when leather gets wet, it always dries to an even harder consistency. I’m guessing that leather that has ‘died-out’ over time has lost some volatile chemical other than H2O.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I think you meant ElmMasters wouldn’t miscue any ‘less’, though I believe a softer tip allows the successful application of more english.
You are probably right about raising the moisture content (not worth the effort). Everybody knows that when leather gets wet, it always dries to an even harder consistency. I’m guessing that leather that has ‘died-out’ over time has lost some volatile chemical other than H2O.

It's Elk Master, not ElmMasters.

All the best,
WW

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DynoDan, Howdy;

I have a box of Le Pros that I bought in 1979, probably made in 1978 or earlier ...
They have been working fine for me. Replaced one about 6 months ago, no problems.

hank