Shy credits his MC coach

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shy playing like a champion said the other day he credits his MC coach for his better play
Clearly he is playing a better brand of pool

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Shy playing like a champion said the other day he credits his MC coach for his better play
Clearly he is playing a better brand of pool

Shy, does that mean Skyler Woodward? If so, Skyler was by far Team USA's worst player a year ago at the Mosconi with the same coach as this year. If he can maintain his current form, it will really help Team USA. Wishing him the best.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shy, does that mean Skyler Woodward? If so, Skyler was by far Team USA's worst player a year ago at the Mosconi with the same coach as this year. If he can maintain his current form, it will really help Team USA. Wishing him the best.

That would be him lol he went into depth how boot camp and how Johan has helped him with his game and it's pretty clear he's playing a better game

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He beat Gorst 11-2, Bergman 11-3, and now he’s up on Grabe 9-2.

He is a dark horse here for sure but a blind man can see he simply is playing at a very high level against very high competition. I wouldn't count him out of any match at this point

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
That would be him lol he went into depth how boot camp and how Johan has helped him with his game and it's pretty clear he's playing a better game

Yeah, he appears to have reached the next level in his game. Good news for Team USA come December.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Based on what I've seen here, I'll revise my estimate of Team USA chances this year at the MC. IF they add Bergman to the team, along with Sky and Shane, I now think they can get to 7 or 8. I really believe Jeremy's influence has made a difference as well. Jeremy knows how to keep his cool under fire and not let outside distractions bother him. If he can pass this one trait along to our team, that will help them immensely when they're in the thick of battle.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, he appears to have reached the next level in his game. Good news for Team USA come December.

I hold you in very high esteem in your eye for clocking speed of pool players, the gold standard here IMHO ,,

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I hold you in very high esteem in your eye for clocking speed of pool players, the gold standard here IMHO ,,

Reaching Saturday in a field this strong is a fine accomplishment. Let's see how he handles the moment tomorrow with a big payday in his sights.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Based on what I've seen here, I'll revise my estimate of Team USA chances this year at the MC. IF they add Bergman to the team, along with Sky and Shane, I now think they can get to 7 or 8. I really believe Jeremy's influence has made a difference as well. Jeremy knows how to keep his cool under fire and not let outside distractions bother him. If he can pass this one trait along to our team, that will help them immensely when they're in the thick of battle.

Ditto. Count me among those that celebrated when Jeremy was added to the coaching staff. Jeremy is cerebral, patient, and composed --- if that's rubbing off on those participating in the boot camp, it's good news indeed.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member

What makes you so optimistic ? Shane has been in the same position for years and No bueno. When his time comes he will need to deliver the goods. Nothing less will help this squad.
As for the thread, always glad to see pros getting an edge through talented coaching.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What makes you so optimistic ? Shane has been in the same position for years and No bueno. When his time comes he will need to deliver the goods. Nothing less will help this squad.
As for the thread, always glad to see pros getting an edge through talented coaching.

Hey, no one can be sure, but Sky has drawn pretty tough in this event and has won most of his matches by a lopsided score.

You're right to say that there's no reason to be too optimistic here, but the Mosconi event forces you to play very tough opponents time and time again. Skyler is getting a good dose of that this week in Virginia, which should help him feel comfortable at the Mosconi.

I don't see this as a parallel of the SVB matter because Skyler is still young and early in his pool career. He's still improving, while SVB is a seasoned veteran whose goal is no more than continuing to play the kind of pool he excels at.

As you say, until it happens, it's all speculation and there is, indeed, no reason for too much optimism.

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on what I've seen here, I'll revise my estimate of Team USA chances this year at the MC. IF they add Bergman to the team, along with Sky and Shane, I now think they can get to 7 or 8.

The US players are generally on a high at the moment. Also their overall performance at the Euro Tour in Leende was impressive.
On the other hand it looks like, that the potential Euro players are somehow feeling the pressure to get good results to qualify for London.
I don`t think it is a coincidence that with Grabe and Sanchez-Ruiz the top two Euros at the International Open are two players, who have no shot at this year`s MC at all.

Anyway, I keep my fingers crossed that Skyler at least makes the final, not only because I like him as a player, but it maybe shows others that working with a professional coach, training camps etc. is the way to get your game to the next level.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stu - you’ve had a tough day! First being called overly pessimistic and now being called overly optimistic! I always appreciate your objective reports on events and look forward to your opinions and reports. Thank you.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

I haven't seen any of Sky's play at this event but based on the quality of his opponents and the match scores along with how deep he has gone in the tournament he is obviously playing at a very high standard--much higher than before. I am curious to hear what part or part/s of his game the two of you (and others) think has shown the most improvement and is most responsible for his increased effectiveness.

My opinion was that what most held him back by far was, and I'm just going to be blunt, he was a huge choker and would dog lots of shots that he was supposed to make. Pressure got to him more than most. Does it seem that he has mostly solved this problem and is that why he is having so much more success in your opinion, or do you attribute his increased success to something else?

There were other issues that could have used some work like playing the percentages better among other things, but I thought the choking was the most glaring and would be what would raise his game the highest if he could solve it. To whoever has seen Sky play in this event, in your opinion, what specific parts of his game have most improved, and which of those improvements has most contributed to his higher success rate at this event?

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen any of Sky's play at this event but based on the quality of his opponents and the match scores along with how deep he has gone in the tournament he is obviously playing at a very high standard--much higher than before. I am curious to hear what part or part/s of his game the two of you (and others) think has shown the most improvement and is most responsible for his increased effectiveness.

My opinion was that what most held him back by far was, and I'm just going to be blunt, he was a huge choker and would dog lots of shots that he was supposed to make. Pressure got to him more than most. Does it seem that he has mostly solved this problem and is that why he is having so much more success in your opinion, or do you attribute his increased success to something else?

There were other issues that could have used some work like playing the percentages better among other things, but I thought the choking was the most glaring and would be what would raise his game the highest if he could solve it. To whoever has seen Sky play in this event, in your opinion, what specific parts of his game have most improved, and which of those improvements has most contributed to his higher success rate at this event?

A HUGE CHOKER lol that is totally laughable.

I have watched Sky play prolly more than anybody over the last 5 years
And the last thing i would ever say about Sky is that he chokes under pressure this kid has nerves of steel and plays steady as a rock.

The kid is the real deal guys, i have heard many people say he's nothing but a bar table player and the truth is he very well might be the best bar table player on the planet but this kid can play on any table guys.

Just look at his results this week, he has mowed down some of the best players on the planet and now is in the final four of one of the toughest fields i have ever seen.

Hell yeah he can play on bar tables and he very well might be the best bar box player on the planet on 7ft tables.

But anybody that thinks this young man can't play on 9ft tables better think again.

He's now in the final four of one of the most Prestigious pool events on planet earth.

The one only reason he's so good on bar tables is that's where all the money is in American pool.

44862273_2207021789542786_960120783466659840_n.jpg

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
A HUGE CHOKER lol that is totally laughable.

If you haven't seen him choking you haven't been watching like you say. Or maybe you just weren't able to recognize the obvious cause for many of his misses or poor performances for some reason.

Regardless, you never did answer the question. Everybody who has been watching his matches at this event all seem to be saying that he is playing better. Even Sky says he is playing better. If you don't think it is his choking that has improved and is responsible for his recent improvement and how well he is doing in this event, then improvements to what part of his game are most responsible for his increased ability?

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, no one can be sure, but Sky has drawn pretty tough in this event and has won most of his matches by a lopsided score.

[...]

Yes. In fact with four matches to go, Sky is actually performing better than anybody else in the field.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 7.54.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 7.54.16 AM.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 276

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. In fact with four matches to go, Sky is actually performing better than anybody else in the field.
Very impressive stats right there. His next test will be SVB, who seems to be on a mission here, particularly after blowing the 10-6 lead vs Ko and managing to escape a hill-hil match vs Orcollo. This should be a great match.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m here and I know what I’m seeing out of Sky.

He’s breaking this 3-pt cut break better than anyone. And everyone is trying to break the same.

From there, it’s the same aggressive style. He’s loose in the winner break format, and no alternate break is slowing him down. No race to 5 is going to limit him getting into gear.

He has obliterated every opponent I’ve seen him play the last two day.

Freddie <~~~ format format format