New appliance for muscle training in pool and other cue sports

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps a 3 axis accelerometer can be embedded into the CB. Any off center hits would result in sideways acceleration, and could probably be calculated mathematically to show where exactly the tip contacted the CB.

I think for this idea to work, you would also need a target OB that was on the same line as the CB and its forward facing accelerometer axis.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Found another video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBchlbAYaKk&feature=youtu.be

Seems you could build some power into your stroke and train some muscle memory.

How about sticking a buck in the machine for a 5 minute workout, bet it would get some use at the pool hall.

He did a very nice job on the design and execution. The CB settles very quickly for successive shots, without user interaction. I'm sure that was not an easy feat and took lots of brainstorming and prototype iterations.

I'm still lost as to the device's purpose, however.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
This sounds VERY INTERESTING.

I can't wait to see the video. I am subscribing to this thread.

Thanks,

JoeyA

Now some details. First, I am not the one who invented it or the one trying to sell anything. So far my only intention is to introduce an interesting (though controversial in some areas) invention and see what everyone thinks of it.

The appliance connects to a mobile device (iOS/Android) and measures speed of every stroke made. Also this training device keeps track of every improper hit (basically miscue on every hit other than cue ball center since the cue tip must remain unchalked). Various interchangeable cue balls can be used: for pool, snooker and pyramid. Also the device has some built-in means of follow-through control.

According to the device creator it is intended to help develop speed and power of one's stroke which (supposedly) connects to better of cue ball control (speed and hit point). By the way it will go under H-I-B-S acronym which stands for "higlhly-intensive-billiard-simulator". It should be mostly used away from pool table (though can be used at a pool hall too) in order to support stroking muscles and develop them. Creating muscle memory, etc.
One of the benefits, again according to the inventor, is that with h-i-b-s a player makes more strokes per minute or per hour than on a pool table.

Presumably, h-i-b-s allows to practice pool stroke at every place even away from the table, keep track of practice efficiency based on statistics (max stroke speed, average speed per session, number of missed hit points). Also lets save money on table time (if used for similar stroking practice tasks I guess).

The guy claims he has no intention to make money but rather come up with an idea which hasn't been applied to cue sports so far. I expect to get more details and hopefully a video of it in use in a month or so.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 383841

Details to follow. So far, what do you think of the importance of certain "pool muscles" training? Of course there are muscles responsible for stroking motion. But what's about intensive training of those? Could it be important for better play, or is it totally irrelevant?

I would have to say yes, it is the reason practice make you play better. I think most all of us if we don't have a table at home take out our cues and practice in front of a mirror of something.

nateobot

Undercover FBI Agent
Silver Member
That video is very interesting. Nice concept. If one would combine that with the cuemd thingy, they could have a pretty spectacular tool.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he's veering the cue off to the side so the ball doesn't drop down on it and training a hook into his shot. Might be better if the ball paused a couple second before dropping.

you are correct, that's the inventor struggling to keep his cue straight :grin-square: That was the idea behind this footage; main principle of use is pretty frightening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZdC7xtufzU :eek: (here he seemingly practices break shot)

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I think he's veering the cue off to the side so the ball doesn't drop down on it and training a hook into his shot. Might be better if the ball paused a couple second before dropping.

I think you are onto something Slach... Until he fixes that issue I think it will reinforce the swerve.....