Siming Chen vs Donny Mills

raistlinsdragon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, I'm hoping she'll beat Donny and go on to match up more with higher-rated men. Nothing against Donny, I just think it would be way more interesting if we were in fact witnessing the greatest female player of all time by a wide margin. That would be a pretty cool thing to watch happen.

Maybe you should check Jean Balukas record.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Maybe you should check Jean Balukas record.

Jeab Balukas played against a much weaker female field.

Siming Chen is doing well against MUCH stronger women than Jean ever had to play.

And as to Jean playing against the men, I have it on good authority from a female pro that played at the same time, that Jean played very well, and beat some men here and there, but was not good enough to snap off a men's title, ever.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you watch the match? I watched just about every rack. If Corey broke the balls for both of them, Bergman would have certainly won. It was almost sad how big the difference was. Saw some Facebook posts that said they agreed they wouldn’t check each others racks. Bad move for Justin if it’s true. Corey basically had the corner balls wired, giving him his choice more often than not.
Corey had 11 dry breaks first set 13 I believe for the next 3 sets combined , 85% set 2 and 3 that's crazy numbers , yes he had some sick runs for sure , but the run percentage was higher for Justin open or not , but he had far many less chances , so clearly the break was the biggest deciding factor

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Siming Chen is doing well against MUCH stronger women than Jean ever had to play.

And as to Jean playing against the men, I have it on good authority from a female pro that played at the same time, that Jean played very well, and beat some men here and there, but was not good enough to snap off a men's title, ever.

Good authority from one of the many women pros who resented the hell out of Balukas? They, as a group, did everything they could to drive her away. She was not at all welcome on either tour.

I would agree she would not have won a men's title, but she was totally dominant playing a game, 9 ball, that wasn't even close to her best game.
I think she would have done as well against the men then as Chen would do now.

Chen has focused almost totally on 9 and 10 ball. The equipment / conditions of today promote precision over a powerful and accurate stroke to move the cueball around. I would love to see Balukas of the 70s go against Chen of today. It would be a great and interesting match up.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Good authority from one of the many women pros who resented the hell out of Balukas? They, as a group, did everything they could to drive her away. She was not at all welcome on either tour.

I would agree she would not have won a men's title, but she was totally dominant playing a game, 9 ball, that wasn't even close to her best game.

Chen has focused almost totally on 9 and 10 ball. The equipment / conditions of today promote precision over a powerful and accurate stroke to move the cueball around. I would love to see Balukas of the 70s go against Chen of today. It would be a great and interesting match up.

Yeah, and I was totally dominant playing in the barracks when I was in the Army. Doesn't mean I was a good player, it just means I was surrounded by people who couldn't play. I am sorry, one can't beat up on minnows and expect to be on the all-time greatest list. Allison Fischer is around 725 Fargorate, and I think she was always a better player than Jean in 9 ball.

If one was to be charitable and say that Allison was perhaps 25 points off her game, I would then put Jean equal to Allison's current rating, about 725.

Which makes her a significant underdog to Siming Chen. Sorry, but there it is. Jean played in a period where everyone, men and women, just wailed away at kicks and let the chips fall where they may. Siming Chen dominates in an era where everyone kicks a lot better, AND she shoots straighter than Fischer. I really can't see how you can put her and Jean in the same conversation..

Sure.. MAYBE Jean would have risen to Chen's level, IF she had the competition to sharpen her. But.. She didn't.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There is a lot of truth there she was kinda inverted like a golfer named MO Norman and if anyone who knows golf knows Mo was a extraordinary talent but he was black balled some say he might have been the best ball striker ever would hit buckets of balls with in feet of each other .but he didn't quite fit in as Ive heard was the case with Jean in pool ,

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, and I was totally dominant playing in the barracks when I was in the Army. Doesn't mean I was a good player, it just means I was surrounded by people who couldn't play. I am sorry, one can't beat up on minnows and expect to be on the all-time greatest list. Allison Fischer is around 725 Fargorate, and I think she was always a better player than Jean in 9 ball.

If one was to be charitable and say that Allison was perhaps 25 points off her game, I would then put Jean equal to Allison's current rating, about 725.

Which makes her a significant underdog to Siming Chen. Sorry, but there it is. Jean played in a period where everyone, men and women, just wailed away at kicks and let the chips fall where they may. Siming Chen dominates in an era where everyone kicks a lot better, AND she shoots straighter than Fischer. I really can't see how you can put her and Jean in the same conversation..

Sure.. MAYBE Jean would have risen to Chen's level, IF she had the competition to sharpen her. But.. She didn't.

So.....how many times did you see Jean play, exactly?
I'm not totally disputing those points above (other than A Fisher being better), but a 725 makes you shortstop speed, or so? Jean would have been, comparatively in her day, stronger than that, IMO.

For the record, I am picking Siming Chen to beat Donny (unless he breaks WAY better than her) Kinda like the Bergman/Deuel match - the break was too big a difference for JB to outrun

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a lot of truth there she was kinda inverted like a golfer named MO Norman and if anyone who knows golf knows Mo was a extraordinary talent but he was black balled some say he might have been the best ball striker ever would hit buckets of balls with in feet of each other .but he didn't quite fit in as Ive heard was the case with Jean in pool ,

Mo was somewhat autistic. And they don't play tournaments on a driving range. He was amazing, though!

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mo was somewhat autistic. And they don't play tournaments on a driving range. He was amazing, though!
He won 55 Canadian tour wins and 33 course records 17 holes in one , played one yr where he was bullied and chastised on the pga tour and fled the seen many yrs later Tiger woods said only 2 golfers ever owned their swing Ben Hogan and Mo Norman and he hopes to own his .. so we aint talking about some wanna be back yard talent

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Exactly correct. assuming we are talking about a TOP Pro event. Allison won the first men's event she entered-I believe it was a 'Tommy Kennedy' event and Im pretty sure that is whom she beat in the finals also. Definitely could be wrong on either but it was a regional event held in SC/Ga area-Could have been the Viking Tour also. Something like that Jean could have won IMO.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Exactly correct. assuming we are talking about a TOP Pro event. Allison won the first men's event she entered-I believe it was a 'Tommy Kennedy' event and Im pretty sure that is whom she beat in the finals also. Definitely could be wrong on either but it was a regional event held in SC/Ga area-Could have been the Viking Tour also. Something like that Jean could have won IMO.

Karen Corr either won or got second at Turning Stone, the best tournament result by any woman player in my lifetime. Somebody help me here please.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Karen Corr either won or got second at Turning Stone, the best tournament result by any woman player in my lifetime. Somebody help me here please.

Karen never won TS imo-Not sure about 2nd-She has won about 5/6 other Joss events though.

PS-You could always check her record here on AZB- A big $$ for the year might indicate a high TS finish

https://www.azbilliards.com/people/4-karen-corr/

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t picture why someone could get a bye in the World Pool Masters....:confused:

Click the link you quoted and you'll find the answer:) ps, its because there are 24 players.

"The 24-player field includes eight players who qualified for the event by winning major 9-ball tournaments and these eight players go straight into the last 16. The remaining 16 invited players play in the preliminary round, with players joining the last 16 draw in order of their seeding. Players in the preliminary round were seeded by their current WPA World Ranking."

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Click the link you quoted and you'll find the answer:) ps, its because there are 24 players.

"The 24-player field includes eight players who qualified for the event by winning major 9-ball tournaments and these eight players go straight into the last 16. The remaining 16 invited players play in the preliminary round, with players joining the last 16 draw in order of their seeding. Players in the preliminary round were seeded by their current WPA World Ranking."

Thanx........

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a prior post about Grady well past his prime vs Allison still in her prime. They had an exhibition in the late 90's or early 2000's across several rooms. Unfortunately, the link that was quoted here that had the full scores for each set does not work. But you can look at the sum of the scores, the point in career of both players, and then decide for yourself if Siming today is better than Alison in the late 90's, and how Grady then compares to Mills today.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5941247&postcount=252