Rails

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
I have a purdy old table, and the only thing i had to fix were the cloth replacing it, pockets, and some side boards. My Aunts table, which was thrown outside. But i notice the rails in some parts are starting to die, and when rubbing them on the bottom i can feel that its not glued or where it should be. So my question is what to use to put it back, glue of some sort :D if so, then what kind is recommended. Thanks.

Tablemechanic

Silver Member
contact cement

Barge is one of the best. I use it when I am on the raod and have to do facings and repair rails that have come loose. In the shop I use 3M, it is a little difficult to use on the road, it also smells alot worse than Barge. If you can not find Barge you can go to Home Depot and find contact cement there that will work for what you are doing. It sounds like you have a few small areas to reglue. Just make sure you follow the directions and let it set up right.

If you have any questions just let me know.

Steve

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
Thanks guys, well i do have some more questions. They ain't completely dead, to where the cueball thuds and doesn't bounce, yeah just a spot here and there. But would you recommend taking off all the rails and do them all or just fix the trouble areas, oh and how long do i let it set before reinstalling the rails, overnight just to make shure sounds right LOL. Thanks again.

Tablemechanic

Silver Member
If the rubber is bad then I would replace all of the rubber.

If they have just come loose in some places I would just reglue them in those places.

As far as using contact cement, you will coat both pieces and let them sit for a few min. untill they are not tacky and put them together. Just follow the directions on the bottle. You should do fine.

Steve

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
no i don't think the rubber is bad, when rubbing my hand down the bottom you can feel that its not glued. Speaking of more questions LOL, what to use to cover the lines of the three piece slate also you know when they are touching. And is it sanded down afterwards? Like i said a old table. Thanks.

Tablemechanic

Silver Member
Slate seams

I use bondo. You can also use Durham's water putty, it works good without the smell. You can get it at Home Depot.

Steve

MRPOOLLSR

TheConArtist said:
I have a purdy old table, and the only thing i had to fix were the cloth replacing it, pockets, and some side boards. My Aunts table, which was thrown outside. But i notice the rails in some parts are starting to die, and when rubbing them on the bottom i can feel that its not glued or where it should be. So my question is what to use to put it back, glue of some sort :D if so, then what kind is recommended. Thanks.
hi my name is mr poollsr. the man of the cloth. Been working on tables for 58years and the unglued parts are common. Before the lare 1920's all the had was animalglue. Very water soluable usually in setting strips(where the chshions are glued) or legs. I have has the best luck by injectimg super glue Med thickness with a syringe with a needle of large inside dia. like they draw blood. Pre drill and screw parts after glue is inserted..

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
limen said:
I believe bees wax like quilters use is an alternative for the slate. Feel free
to correct me if I am wrong on this.

I use Beezwax. I always felt it worked the best. The problem I have with Waterputty is if a slate seem slips and it is just a matter of wedging up the middle then the water putty will push up with the slate and leave a hump still. With beezwax we normally don't have that problem and it can be fixed by rolling a ball around the seams.

As for the cushions. Normally if it is bad enough to feel through the cloth it is best to recushion them. A good recushion job should last 15 years if not longer. So it is worth getting new ones and doing it right.

asiasdad

Banned
Tablemechanic said:
I use bondo. You can also use Durham's water putty, it works good without the smell. You can get it at Home Depot.

Steve

I was told that beeswax is great as long as you don't live in a climate like Las Vegas where it will melt and leave stains through your bed cloth.

I was also told that water putty will "dust off" in time and leave little residue "bumps" under your bed cloth.

I was told that bondo is the best providing one does a good clean up after sanding it smooth to the slate, and should the table ever need moved, the mechanic has enough sense to "score" the bondo seam with a putty knife, etc so the slate does not chip when separating the pieces.

I'm not a table mechanic, I've just spent a lot of time with 2 friends who are.

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
asiasdad said:
I was told that beeswax is great as long as you don't live in a climate like Las Vegas where it will melt and leave stains through your bed cloth.

I could see that if you had it in a garage with no climate control.

However we leave our thing of beezwax in the back of our box truck. Some of the wax has been in the back for years. With temperatures outside during the summer in excess of 100degrees. I couldn't imagine what the back of the box truck gets. I know it does get hot. Even if I grip wax we just melted in my hand it still isn't hot enough to become soft. So I don't find that a worry.

We have also done many jobs in un-airconditioned places before that get hot and I have never had a complaint for that. And we get complaints because their tassle has fraid.