Removing more weight from cue

roadking522

Registered
I have removed the weight bolt from my cue and now, it is around 18 oz. Would like to get it down to 17 or, perhaps 16. Only way I can imagine is finding some woodworker with a lathe who could bore out some wood from the butt. Suggestion? Thanks

roadking522

Registered
It is a Predator P3. Why so light? I just like a light cue! I don't know any local cue makers. Suggestions on someone who would tackle this? Thanks agian!

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Don't do anything until it is determined the cue is worth more as it is. If it is sell it and get a different cue. All you are gonna do by removing weight is screw up how the cue was intended to play. I don't understand why people buy a cue based on a builders reputation and play and than want to destroy it. Find a cue you like and buy it, don't ruin what was intended, obviously someone else wants it. Now if it's a generic production cue whittle away, it won't matter!!

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Whittle away

It is a Predator P3. Why so light? I just like a light cue! I don't know any local cue makers. Suggestions on someone who would tackle this? Thanks agian!

Whittle away, if it gets F'd up you can find another.

roadking522

Registered
Whittle away, if it gets F'd up you can find another.

Thanks Shooter08 ! LOL ! It IS a $1000. cue so, I really don't want to "f" it up. Just want it a bit lighter. Have no intention of selling it and, If I ever do, the weight bolts could be re-added for whatever weight the new user liked.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
I don't think there is much you can do. I would post in the "ask the cue maker" section. I apologize if I offended you, if it was a $100 cue drill away, I've seen that done before, lol.

roadking522

Registered
I don't think there is much you can do. I would post in the "ask the cue maker" section. I apologize if I offended you, if it was a $100 cue drill away, I've seen that done before, lol.

No, seriously, that was funny !!! That's a good suggestion. Thanks, I'll do it.:)

lights_out

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't do it. Do you have any idea how much wood would have to be bored out to lighten a cue 1 to 2 ounces? As a cue maker I can tell you, a lot! The only place you can bore out a finished cue is at the butt end. Once that is done, you've affected the structural integrity of the cue by hollowing it out, you've changed the balance point, and the hit and sound would likely also change.

Plus, should you choose to sell it, you're not going to get the weight bolt back in without plugging, boring, and tapping the correct threads for the weight bolt. And to top it all off, you've also voided your warrantee.

For what you paid for that Predator, you can probably get with a cue maker and start from the ground up on a cue made to your preferences.

Terry Aeschliman

Terry Aeschliman
Gold Member
Silver Member
weight

As a repairman, I am asked this question often. It would be very difficult to remove enough wood to reduce the weight by two ounces. And if you could, putting the weight bolts back in would be a chore also. I would recommend finding a lighter cue.

Johnboy73

Johnboy
Sell P3 and have Pat Diveney make u a sneaky at 16 oz. U can put whatever shaft u want on it. U can sell that P3 quickly

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I have removed the weight bolt from my cue and now, it is around 18 oz. Would like to get it down to 17 or, perhaps 16. Only way I can imagine is finding some woodworker with a lathe who could bore out some wood from the butt. Suggestion? Thanks

If you weigh the shaft and it's anywhere near 4 ounces, you can probably find another Predator shaft as low as 3.2 ounces if you look around. Some are naturally heavy and some light. I don't think Predator internally adds weight to their their shafts. Some aftermarket shafts have a weight added below the joint because most LD shafts are naturally light. Even if you lose weight this way, you'll probably notice a difference in the balance.

I will tell you that weight alone does not determine how heavy a cue feels gliding through your hands. I've had many cues that weigh the same, but some feel heavier and some feel light. I'm not exactly sure why - probably the distribution of the weight and the momentum it creates.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Predator

Don't do it. Do you have any idea how much wood would have to be bored out to lighten a cue 1 to 2 ounces? As a cue maker I can tell you, a lot! The only place you can bore out a finished cue is at the butt end. Once that is done, you've affected the structural integrity of the cue by hollowing it out, you've changed the balance point, and the hit and sound would likely also change.

Plus, should you choose to sell it, you're not going to get the weight bolt back in without plugging, boring, and tapping the correct threads for the weight bolt. And to top it all off, you've also voided your warrantee.

For what you paid for that Predator, you can probably get with a cue maker and start from the ground up on a cue made to your preferences.

The cue is half bored out now, its a predator .. and half of the wood that is going to get bored out isn't wood, ITS GLUE and its just another cue from china.
I have no issues sticking a big @ass drill bit up some china made cue's butt.

Just fill the butt full of foam or silicone so the butt wont ring like a gong , that way it matches the shaft .... ;)

But just the same 1 oz is allot of cheap wood and expensive glue that will have to be drilled out.of the butt...

To the OP

Ps I was NOT kidding about filling the butt full of spray foam after its bored.
Normally I will fill the butt full of foam and then install a wood plug to make the job look clean like nothing had been done minus the weight bolt hole ........

I wished I would of photographed the last cue I bored the butt to lighten the cue.
The cue was a cheap China made import I have no idea what wood it was made out of but it was tan colored and was the lightest wood I had ever seen.
I think I bored out 5 or 6 inches in depth with a 3/4 drill bit and only lightened the butt of the cue 8th of a oz.
Then I filled it with foam and put in the oak plug.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I thought I had this figured out for you, but .... after doing some research, alas, it won't work. Damn .. I thought I had the answer.

Helium balloons. But after research and math calculations .. It would take over a dozen.

Now .. there's still hope. If you wore a clown nose, maybe no one would notice the helium balloons. :shrug:

Just kidding ... I couldn't resist . Yeah, it would take a lot of gutting out that butt to lighten it by 2 oz. You might get another half oz. or so from a shaft change.

roadking522

Registered
Well, I looked around for several months and found a cue maker with a metal lathe. My P3 (Predator) has a 9/16" threaded weight bolt hole that is (was) about 3" deep. I purchased two 1/2" drill bits - a spade and spiral and both 1 foot long and took it with me. We started with the spade but immediately, there was too much wobble, due I think to the reduced shaft size so, switched to the spiral which was 1/2" it's entire length. It went smoothly and we (he) drilled about 1" at a time, withdrawing the bit to expel the dust. About 6" in, we pulled the butt and re-weighed. 1/2 oz. gone. Cool! Put the butt back on and drilled out the entire length of the drill bit - 12 inches. Another re-weigh and it was now 1 ounce lighter. Perfect !! Man, I'm happy has can be. Haven't weighed the butt and shaft together yet, but am betting I'm right around 16 oz. total. All I know is it feels good and I never miss a shot with it. It even makes 7 rail bank shots. Sorry guys, it's not for sale :)

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
It's up to you but I have taken a hand drill to an inexpensive butt.

Not the typical spiraling kind, but the flat rectangular ones with the small 'knife' blade on them that cut as the drill rotates them.

As someone said, how much wood does it take to remove an ounce or two?

I don't know, but taking out what I did made a difference in feel.

Something to consider is how the butt is made. Is is solid there or is it a butt piece assembles to a handle.

Another method might be to use one of those old hand turning 'drills'.

Or like others have suggested sell it & buy a light cue.

Good Luck with your decision.

All Best Wishes for You & Yours.