i like the ability to match up and play with
anybody regardless of how much better they play

Plus it is a gambling game,it attracts action

all of this appealed to me when i was playing

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a poster in another thread in a response to my post about onepocket said
"Nooooo... That’s like saying eventually you will enjoy watching paint dry lol "
i say to those who have similar feelings about onepocket
its probably because you dont understand it
and admire the intricacies of the game,
a well played safety or a pocket speed bank that just dribbles into the pocket or carom
or understanding how one player is out thinking the other
are all things of beauty and immense enjoyment to me........:)
but i guess there is chocolate and vanilla for reasons......:thumbup:

It was a joke and I understand it just fine..It’s just to slow for me and not to my liking. If you like it watch it and play it lol

TonyFL

Registered
Watching "old school" 1P players can be a bit dull if you really don't love the game. But, watching players like Tony Chohan, Cory Deuel and Scot Frost always has me replaying shots that made me say "WTF did he just do?"

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to hate it but now i love it. Its chess with pool balls. Its a never-ending question of "if i do this he'll do what?". Steepest part of learning curve, for me anyway, is the damn patience required. I don't like watching it either unless they play better than i do so i can learn something. Great game.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching two players that have a weak understanding of the game, or players that are too conservative, is boring I admit.

But when a guy is trapped (opponent needs one or two balls and has rolled one very near his pocket, and at the same time has hidden the cb in a mess of balls), it appears hopeless for the shooter to win from there, but then the shooter banks a two railer with low inside and draws the cb 3ft back to his opponent's pocket to steal the ball his opponent had set the trap with, making that ball and running 5 more for the win....that's pretty exciting.

If you're playing or watching players that continually leave the cb on the foot rail because that's their best and safest shot, it gets very boring very quickly. It's a game that without some creativity and imagination it's not vert thrilling to watch.

Not every shot can be a crowd pleasing work of wonder, but if the players have a few of these shots in their bag, and knows how to move the balls and set traps and keep the opponent pinched throughout the game, it makes for incredible action that is anything but boring.

That is ONE thoughtful and insightful post. You must play 1P well.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played it once and it didn't seem like any big deal to me. You can shoot ANY ball you want . Not hard like 8 ball ,stripes and solids or 9 ball or cribbage etc. The worst thing about it was if a missed and left the ball close to my hole the guy knocked it away. ON PURPOSE. It made me so mad I started to do the same to him but decided just because he was rude was no reason for me to act that way. And we wonder why pool has a bad image
Jack

That made me laugh

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watching a good game, played well

I was in Arlington, TX & Clicks one evening. I had played in a tournament that day & was finishing my drink. These two men were playing one pocket & they were playing exceptional position, both in their runs & in their safeties. In a little while, I bought another drink. Then I bought another drink (non-alcoholic) & continued watching, while the money was changing hands.

These guys were as good as I have ever seen. I really hated, that I had to go. These guys could put the ball on a dime. & they shot lights out, when they had an opening. Both played world class safeties & I'm not referring to bunt safeties, I'm talking 2-3-4 rail safeties.

I'd pay good money for a DVD of that match, it would make a tremendous learning video.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was a joke and I understand it just fine..It’s just to slow for me and not to my liking. If you like it watch it and play it lol[/QUOTE]

trob
by your LOL i thought you were joking but wasnt sure
i didnt mention you specifically in my thread because of that
also i wasnt trying to single you out
just that i hear that alot when i try to get players in my room to try to learn it
and mostly its for the reasons i have already mentioned
i realize we all would not agree on who is the prettiest women in a line up of attractive women
so for those that know the game /understand its intricacies and its still not your cup of tea i have no problem with that ....:):thumbup:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in Arlington, TX & Clicks on evening. I had played in a tournament that day & was finishing my drink. These two men were playing one pocket & they were playing exceptional position, both in their runs & in their safeties. In a little while, I bought another drink. Then I bought another drink (non-alcoholic) & continued watching, while the money was changing hands.

These guys were as good as I have ever seen. I really hated, that I had to go. These guys could put the ball on a dime. & they shot lights out, when they had an opening. Both played world class safeties & I'm not referring to bunt safeties, I'm talking 2-3-4 rail safeties.

I'd pay good money for a DVD of that match, it would make a tremendous learning video.

So What did Cactus Jack think about it?;)

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One Pocket play...

He wasn't there. I went to school with Craig, in the mid 50s thru High School. These guys were way above his skill level.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching "old school" 1P players can be a bit dull if you really don't love the game. But, watching players like Tony Chohan, Cory Deuel and Scot Frost always has me replaying shots that made me say "WTF did he just do?"

I am having the pleasure of watching Justin Hall lately. He's been at my local hall quite a bit. What a pleasure to watch a champion play.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
talking about one pocket being boring

Depends on what you are seeing. I watched a bird walking back and forth about six feet one day. He would walk that six feet watching the water on both sides trying to catch a fish or something else tasty. The alligator on the other end of the log was watching the egret. One step too far, maybe distracted by the prey he was searching for and the egret would become the prey!

There was tension in the air you could cut with a knife. The egret never turned away from the alligator, walking to within about four feet of the gator then walking backwards to his end of the log then forwards again over and over, ready to explode into flight in a moment. It would be too late if the alligator guessed right.

After awhile somebody pulled up and stopped. The bird flew, the gator swam. I was a bit irked. The person in the truck asked me what I was doing. I told him I was taking pictures of a bird on a log.

One of the most dynamic scenes I have been lucky enough to photograph but from one viewpoint it was just a bird walking on a log. That is one pocket. If you understand what is happening it can be riveting while somebody else watching the same game is bored stiff. I think Nick Varner and Gabe Owens went fifteen minutes without making a ball. The wedge game played by two masters was as exciting as any pool I have ever watched.

Efren and Corey, I believe finals, possibly semi-finals around 2006, Derby City, fantastic pool. I think anybody watching would have to say they had seen something special even if they weren't 100% sure what!

Hu

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
a poster in another thread in a response to my post about onepocket said
"Nooooo... That’s like saying eventually you will enjoy watching paint dry lol "
i say to those who have similar feelings about onepocket
its probably because you dont understand it
and admire the intricacies of the game,
a well played safety or a pocket speed bank that just dribbles into the pocket or carom
or understanding how one player is out thinking the other
are all things of beauty and immense enjoyment to me........:)
but i guess there is chocolate and vanilla for reasons......:thumbup:

Nah, watching guys hit balls up table and taking 4hrs to play a game is insane(that's what I saw originally in the earl 90's amd turned me off)

Today's game played by Tony, Frost, Dennis, shane is totally different and I finally love the game

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nah, watching guys hit balls up table and taking 4hrs to play a game is insane(that's what I saw originally in the earl 90's amd turned me off)

Today's game played by Tony, Frost, Dennis, shane is totally different and I finally love the game
I don't like the real long games either. I'm a BIG fan of the "Grady" rule: if at the end of one's inning there are five(or more) balls in the kitchen, the ball closest to head rail spots. IMO EVERY 1p tournament should use it. It doesn't change the game that much and speeds-up play. Grady used it at all his 1p tournaments and it worked.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like the real long games either. I'm a BIG fan of the "Grady" rule: if at the end of one's inning there are five(or more) balls in the kitchen, the ball closest to head rail spots. IMO EVERY 1p tournament should use it. It doesn't change the game that much and speeds-up play. Grady used it at all his 1p tournaments and it worked.

I like this rule but I don’t think Grady ever came round to implementing it in any of his Legends tourneys. I also like moving scores forwards only (i.e. if you take an intentional, your opponent takes any ball and puts it on his shelf but has to shoot).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love one pocket and at 80 years old still play 2/3 times a week gambling or in a tournament at Hard Times Sacramento. Over the past 60+ years I have watched the greats and played many of them too. It is a great game for seniors who have lost some of their skills because you just have to play smarter than the other guy. I still play some long sessions and my body and brain pay for it the next day.

The game has changed a bit and is much more offensive now. Back in the day, good players did not want you to know they could run out. Run a few balls, lock you up and keep your game hidden as much as possible. Then Ronnie Allen and other greats came along and with their creativity, pretty much changed the game.

It is great to see the game I love so popular now and tournaments and action all over the country. It is the easiest game to match up a fair game with if you are playing the same people because you go to more or less balls to make it even.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I like this rule but I don’t think Grady ever came round to implementing it in any of his Legends tourneys. I also like moving scores forwards only (i.e. if you take an intentional, your opponent takes any ball and puts it on his shelf but has to shoot).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never thought about giving a ball to the opposing player. I like the idea for times when you need to move the game along but allowing the recipient to choose any ball off the table could be a massive advantage in some situations. Worth the point you get plus an additional 2-3 at least.

I’ll have to give it some think. Maybe just give an already made ball to your opponent and if you have none yet then just keep track like with a ball owed.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find one pocket very interesting to watch with good players even though I don’t full understand the game. I intend on learning and playing the game in the future. I do have Tom Wirth’s book that I’ve lightly browsed.

Right now Straight Pool is what I’m focused on and improved skill level in general. I like Eight ball as well and haven’t played much rotation games since I started playing again. One Pocket is just on the back burner, Straight Pool is plenty for now.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I can't play it without feeling bored but I do enjoy watching.
But it has to be very high level. Watching anything less than top-level can get really tedious.
Even with a couple of solid A-players you get those games that never end, with balls all uptable.