GENE. NAGY
Straight Pool
New York City Legendary player
430 balls run and has run 200 balls over
20 times in his life
Inducted to the Straight Pool Hall of Fame
On August 21. 2013
Nagy passed away in 2006

I was lucky enough to see Gene, no more than an acquaintance of mine, play in his prime in Queens, NY, where I lived for ten years in my youth. Gene retired from competition in the mid-1970's, but played extremely well long after that. I actually went about twenty consecutive years without seeing him even once, from about 1980-2000, but met him again a few times when WPBA pro Fran Crimi and instructor extraodinaire brought him to Corner Billiards in Manhattan between 2000-2003.

Toncam

Another Bum !
Silver Member
I was lucky enough to see Gene, no more than an acquaintance of mine, play in his prime in Queens, NY, where I lived for ten years in my youth. Gene retired from competition in the mid-1970's, but played extremely well long after that. I actually went about twenty consecutive years without seeing him even once, from about 1980-2000, but met him again a few times when WPBA pro Fran Crimi and instructor extraodinaire brought him to Corner Billiards in Manhattan between 2000-2003.

Where did he play in Queens ? Golden Q ?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I knew a guy that watched Gene a lot in Queens back then. He told me gene was as good as anyone at 14.1.
Did you know a guy named Bucky? I just can't remember his last name.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met Gene in Binghamton, NY through Gary Pinkowski many, many years ago, didn't get to see him play at all. John Grissim's excellent book "Billiards: Hustlers and Heroes, Legends and Lies, and the Search for Higher Truth on the Green Felt" has a chapter devoted to Nagy and there is also a description of a One Pocket game between Gene and the great Jersey Red. Wish I had got to see him play in his prime.

Toncam

Another Bum !
Silver Member
He did play at the Golden Q from time to time but I believe his main room was La Cue in Maspeth, Queens.

Okay, thanks. I never went to Maspeth much, didnt even know about that room.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GENE. NAGY
Straight Pool
20 times in his life,
On August 21. 2013
Nagy passed away in 2006

Gene wouldn't have wanted this, especially from someone like Charlie Williams who has yet to learn the meaning of the word 'respect.'

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 80's there was a guy who used to come down to the late Jimmy Cattrano's room in Rego Park NY - - he was playing 9 ball ( had long hair and a beard and parked his bicycle in the rm) and he could play real well and I asked someone who it was and they said it was Nagy.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Gene wouldn't have wanted this, especially from someone like Charlie Williams who has yet to learn the meaning of the word 'respect.'

Obviously, Fran, you knew Gene very well and I only knew him a little, but I have a feeling you are wrong. Charlie Williams has and will always have his dissenters, but he is the only promoter in recent years that did anything to ensure that a 14.1 event with a wide and internationally diverse field returned to the American pool scene. The Dragon event has helped greatly to revive interest in 14.1 in America, and 14.1 challenge events have since popped up at Derby City, Super Billiards Expo, and the BCAPL Nationals. I'm guessing that Gene would have approved of this renaissance for 14.1.

It should also be noted that both the nomination process and the voting process for the 14.1 hall of fame is in the hands of the fans alone. It was the fans, and not Charlie Williams, that chose to bestow this honor upon Gene.

Sincerely, Stu Mattana

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously, Fran, you knew Gene very well and I only knew him a little, but I have a feeling you are wrong. Charlie Williams has and will always have his dissenters, but he is the only promoter in recent years that did anything to ensure that a 14.1 event with a wide and internationally diverse field returned to the American pool scene. The Dragon event has helped greatly to revive interest in 14.1 in America, and 14.1 challenge events have since popped up at Derby City, Super Billiards Expo, and the BCAPL Nationals. I'm guessing that Gene would have approved of this renaissance for 14.1.

It should also be noted that both the nomination process and the voting process for the 14.1 hall of fame is in the hands of the fans alone. It was the fans, and not Charlie Williams, that chose to bestow this honor upon Gene.

Sincerely, Stu Mattana

You're right, Stu. I knew Gene and I knew how he thought.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
GENE. NAGY
Straight Pool
20 times in his life,
On August 21. 2013
Nagy passed away in 2006

Saw a picture of him in McGoorty's book during study hall when I was young, I remember the look on his face - he had his cue in hand, he looked like he was happy and having fun. Would have liked to meet him as I noticed something in that picture that let me know he was indeed a champion. Again I would have liked to meet him and I cannot believe all the great champions who have recently passed.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw a picture of him in McGoorty's book during study hall when I was young, I remember the look on his face - he had his cue in hand, he looked like he was happy and having fun. Would have liked to meet him as I noticed something in that picture that let me know he was indeed a champion. Again I would have liked to meet him and I cannot believe all the great champions who have recently passed.

I loved Gene like a brother but he wouldn't want people idolizing him. Gene admitted publicly that he had to take drugs to compete because he didn't have the nerves for competition. Just look around at some of the other hall of famers, and ask yourself which ones took drugs to compete and how good would they have been without them.

At least Gene had the courage to publicly admit the truth.

martzcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gene was good person and I was lucky to spent
Lots of time with him.
He was very extraordinary .Very colorful,very talented
and very eccentric .
Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 797

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member

Sincerely, Stu Mattana

Very good post.

The ONE thing I respect about CW is exactly what you said.....he's done so much for getting 14.1 off of life support. My early memories of pool were following Lassiter, Balsis, Crane, Martin, Mizerak, Hopkins, Varner, Lisciotti and Sigel in their 14.1 matches. To this day, I love 14.1 and always will.

I'm very grateful to see 14.1 being played as much as it is today. CW does deserve credit for that.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good post.

The ONE thing I respect about CW is exactly what you said.....he's done so much for getting 14.1 off of life support. My early memories of pool were following Lassiter, Balsis, Crane, Martin, Mizerak, Hopkins, Varner, Lisciotti and Sigel in their 14.1 matches. To this day, I love 14.1 and always will.

I'm very grateful to see 14.1 being played as much as it is today. CW does deserve credit for that.

Danny Barouty deserves the credit for all the 14.1 that's being played today in the Northeast U.S.

Because of his 14.1 leagues that have run non-stop over the years, many players are playing on a regular basis, not because of one event every year. Danny is the person who is selfless and most loyal to the game of 14.1.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Danny Barouty deserves the credit for all the 14.1 that's being played today in the Northeast U.S.

Because of his 14.1 leagues that have run non-stop over the years, many players are playing on a regular basis, not because of one event every year. Danny is the person who is selfless and most loyal to the game of 14.1.

It cannot be denied that Danny Barouty does quite a bit for Straight Pool, especially, out east. In fact, I called him a couple of times to get an idea how to improve our leagues here in Chicago and he is always very helpful.

The World's, by Charlie Williams and the various Straight Pool Challenges, pioneered by Bob Jewett, helped ignite interest in the sport in the rest of the country. Pat Fleming and his couple of Straight Pool Challenges have also given the rest of us something to look at and strive for.

We now have two leagues at Red Shoes Billiards in Chicago. The Wednesday night no handicap league is in its second session and going strong with about 30 players, including Bobby Hunter, Tom Karabatsos, Ike Runnels, and a bunch of other guys who occasionally run 30-40 balls or more. We also have tournaments every couple of months there. Illinois Billiard Club has several straight pool leagues and Pressure on the North side of Chicago has had two sessions of straight pool so far with about 15 or so players including George Fels.

I think a lot of the proliferation in our area of the Country and in other spots is thanks to Charlie Williams and the others I have mentioned.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Fran, you speak like a true New Yorker. :wink:

There are other places in the North East (Not in NYC) were 14.1 is played too.

There is a long running 14.1 league in Maryland at Big Daddies Billards, in my own hometown area in NE Pa, were the likes of Rempe, Balsis, Caras, and Daya.

That said there are many who through their passion of 14.1 kept the game alive.