So I Got Banned From FB's "Let's Talk About Pool."

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far back as I remember if someone buys you in the Calcutta the player usually pays the winning bidder half and at the end you guys split the Calcutta money. Is this not the case anymore?

Or was the discussion only about the player not buying half of themselves but expecting a cut from the bidder after the player wins the bidder money?
This is how it is everywhere I play. Player has the option to buy in or not.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My brother and his family live in Palma, Mallorca Spain. At a family reunion I was chastised for not being a good uncle and following my nieces every activity on Facebook. That went on right up until my niece walked in the room and mentioned that we FaceTime every weekend. It was dead silence when I asked the room how often they called.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Heres a good one...I bought a player in a 64 man tourny once and his buddy came to me several times and said they was buying back, I said ok ya'll got til before the draw. He even said the guy with the money was almost to the poolroom. Fast forward about 30 minutes and the draw came and the fella I bought and his buddy had to play each other...needless to say I never got a wheat penny because the guys buddy was a far better player. It wasnt much but thats besides the point, something like a $120 shot at a $10K first place calcutta. Highly doubtful my buy had any chance of even the top 5 but last place money would have been better than an honest days work. Its a bar table crap shot with rules that favor the weaker player because no one can run a 9 pack with loser breaks. If I buy someone and they play their heart out and cash, no matter the place, theyre getting a tip even if it means me losing money. I was really hoping 63 people fell over dead and this MFR won just so I could say "is your guy here yet with you $60"

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Who was the Admin that banned you. I’ve never heard of that group on FB. I would’ve been banned too I guess. I don’t post here a lot anymore but I check in from time to time. Ive been missing some of you guys here.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Never did facebook or twitter...both seem "creepy" to me...like the nosy neighbor always sitting by her window with binoculars.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is how it is everywhere I play. Player has the option to buy in or not.

But the question is about tipping the shooter, regardless of whether he buys half or not.

I say it is up to the potential tipper...but each choice has its consequences, knowhatimean

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far back as I remember if someone buys you in the Calcutta the player usually pays the winning bidder half and at the end you guys split the Calcutta money. Is this not the case anymore?

Or was the discussion only about the player not buying half of themselves but expecting a cut from the bidder after the player wins the bidder money?
This is actually an excellent topic for discussion. My viewpoint pertains to smaller calcuttas in weekly tournaments, which is what I see here. Usually when a player doesn't buy half themselves back in the calcutta, after the winning bid goes to someone else, it's usually because they either don't have enough $$ to do so, they don't think it's a wise investment, or they think they ended up selling at a considerably higher $$ than they should have and are a little ticked off at the bidders that bid them up that high.

People that buy someone in the calcutta have very likely bought other players numerous times before and either won or lost money on those investments, so generally I'd say we rarely see it in here that the winner of the tourney gets tipped from the person that purchased him/her in the calcutta, regardless of whether they purchased back half of themselves or not. In fact, I'd guess usually the buyer is often even a little disappointed the player hasn't eased their investment by purchasing back half themselves, unless of course when they win it all, in which case they are glad they didn't.

Obviously the player still has an incentive to finish as high as possible in the tournament to collect their share of entry fee purse, regardless of whether they've bought in to the calcutta purse. Regardless of that, sometimes the buyer has some concern about whether the player who doesn't purchase back half themselves may "dump" on the buyer, to get back at them for bidding them up so high. I've seen that happen as well.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't mention the moderator's name. You can look up the site if you're that interested. He seems like a decent guy for the most part, but there's just something a bit off when it comes to exchanging ideas openly. I get the whole keeping it civil idea and I've pretty much never personally insulted anyone in any conversation I've had on the Internet in over 20 years. I've always tried to keep it substantive.

In their pursuit of civility, they've taken the trivial subject of pool and turned it into a non-stop elementary school aged lesson in bullying or some such thing. YAWN.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Felt pretty good too.

There was a discussion about whether or not the calcutta winner should tip the winning player and it was a decent discussion as far as I could tell. Well until one of the Administrator's decided to chime in with his opinion. Once his opinion was questioned, he apparently got "personally offended" and banned that poster and later he explained that this was his test for who should be allowed to stick around.

I had the audacity to question this and they managed to ban me before I could leave the group. So they did win that battle.

Anyway, AZ is a WAY better place to actually exchange ideas about pool than is FB. So I come here not looking for pity but for penance for posting over there to begin with.

There's something more important at work too under the surface but I won't get into that here. Maybe more appropriate for NPR.

On the topic of tipping the player I'd say it is a wise investment to avoid getting cut out by the players unless you own both of them in the Calcutta.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't mention the moderator's name. You can look up the site if you're that interested. He seems like a decent guy for the most part, but there's just something a bit off when it comes to exchanging ideas openly. I get the whole keeping it civil idea and I've pretty much never personally insulted anyone in any conversation I've had on the Internet in over 20 years. I've always tried to keep it substantive.

In their pursuit of civility, they've taken the trivial subject of pool and turned it into a non-stop elementary school aged lesson in bullying or some such thing. YAWN.

Somewhat obviously, not everyone is cut out to be a moderator.

Lou Figueroa

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I don't buy any of myself in the calcutta, I don't have any expectation of being tipped but if I am then it's appreciated. On the other side of the coin though, it does seem that I have an obligation to someone else because of the calcutta and this can be a potential pain but it is what it is and I don't have to play if I don't like the auction.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Exactly.. I’m not tipping the winner if he bought half of himself from me. That’s the way it works around here. When someone buys you in the Calcutta you get the chance to buy half.

JC

Coos Cues
Just remember that FB is an optional thing in your life.

Opting out can enrich your daily life.:smile:

JC

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had read the first few replies of that thread, and since I have only seen a handful of calcuttas before, I was interested in reading it. When I had time the next morning and stopped in, it had been deleted. After reading a follow up thread and seeing a mod basically say that this is their group and they ban whoever they want, I knew this wasn't a place I would participate much.

Jeff G. Martin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I, too, was banned from "Let's Talk About Pool". Why? I wasn't sure at first, but it was eventually explained to me why I didn’t belong there.

The Saturday evening when The US Open 9-Ball was winding down, I was watching my paid stream and browsing Facebook. To my surprise, someone was rebroadcasting the stream via Facebook Live in Let's Talk About Pool. I thought that was garbage, and it had been streaming for almost an hour. Sorry to be "that guy", but that’s BS to me that AccuStats goes through all of this work to produce the event and then someone redistributes it for such a large audience. I reported the thread and messaged the group creator.

I went back to the group awhile later to see if it had been removed. I couldn't even find the group. I actually thought that maybe reporting the thread got the group shut down for copyright violations. Nope… I was banned. At that point, I had no idea why. It even said in the rules on the pinned post that posting links to paid streams was against the rules.

banned01.jpeg

A couple months passed. A friend of mine sent me a screenshot where the group creator shared how many people were banned from the page. Given the trivial and asinine reasons I've seen when people are banned, I wasn’t even be surprised that this number was well over 3,000. Since he was so open to second (even third!) chances, I thought I'd message the group creator again and find out just why exactly I was banned.

banned02.jpg

Very pretentious. Very elementary. I’m even more annoyed by this now that I think about it again.

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Jeff G Martin—- your post says it all. Guy is simply on a power trip.
I have no idea who the mods of the group are or who I ever messaged to get banned.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Makes me glad FacePlant cancelled my (sort of fake) account. The last straw for them seems to have been that I turned off their daily spam emails.

It's irritating that I can't access some things that require an account, but there are lots of other ways to spend my time.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very impressive Jeff. I wouldn't be annoyed but instead proud of speaking the truth. While it may seem trivial to care about who can and who can't talk about a stupid game, it's actually kind of scary how easily someone can just eliminate unwanted speech. If I'm not mistaken their group has over 10,000 members. There's actual power there that needs to be recognized. Hopefully, a few of them see this thread and reconsider belonging to a group that cares so little about the free exchange of ideas.

I've always sort of shook off people's fears of having their freedom of speech taken away, but here we are -- watching citizens do it to each other over pool of all things! I can only imagine what people like this would do over speech that's actually meaningful.

Thanks for chiming in.

Last edited: