Pawn Shop Cues

our_auctionguy

The Wall.....
Silver Member
The best deals I ever got was a 4 point iivory inlad Schon for $29.95 and a Huebler Custom Shop (1981) for $24.95 all at the same time. I sold the Schon 30 minutes later for $400. And the Huebler went on eBay for $600.

The most valuable I have seen in a pawn shop was a very fairly fancy Richard Black in a Houston pawn shop. They wanted $3000 for it. They also had diamonds in the 2+ carat range as well. Kind of a high end pawn shop.

I spent one summer doing weekly checks of almost every pawnshop in Denver for things I could turn for a quick profit and what I found was don't waste your time looking for cues unless you wanted a Moocheesy or McDermatitus. Diamonds were a different story though because I would find decent grade stones in mountings, buy them and then resell them to custom jewellers I knew usually doubling my investment the same day. Most minimum wage pawn shop employees don't know squat about grading stones.

Last edited:

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$35 rich/doc fry cue

i gave $35 for an ebony ABE RICH or DOC FRY cue with the old cuttyhunk linen wrap. finish is still good on the cue and it has the original shaft. i put a schon/joss/espiritu shaft on it and fire away. it hits so very solid- wonder if the aging has done that? butt is straight as can be. shaft is warped enough that i don't shoot with it. it is my very favorite cue looks like this cue on dick abbotts billiardcue website:

http://www.billiardcue.com/uploads/cues/big/blackwidow1450.jpg

i believe mr. abbots cue sold for way more than $35 so i did pretty good.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
woodyosborne said:
i gave $35 for an ebony ABE RICH or DOC FRY cue with the old cuttyhunk linen wrap. finish is still good on the cue and it has the original shaft. i put a schon/joss/espiritu shaft on it and fire away. it hits so very solid- wonder if the aging has done that? butt is straight as can be. shaft is warped enough that i don't shoot with it. it is my very favorite cue looks like this cue on dick abbotts billiardcue website:

http://www.billiardcue.com/uploads/cues/big/blackwidow1450.jpg

i believe mr. abbots cue sold for way more than $35 so i did pretty good.

I bought one very similar in the late '70s or early '80s for, I think, $25. Sold it later for $50 to a local gal.

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
I bought a Phillippi Ebony Titleist Conversion with Ivory Joint and Ivory Butt Cap for $65.00 at a pawn shop in Albuquerque.

Ironman317

Cash Me In....
Silver Member
I found a pretty nice Schon in a pawn shop once. I paid $60 for it with no tip on it. Replaced the tip and sold it for $200.

WalkerInTN

Mr. Entertainment
Silver Member
There was a Richard Black 25th anniv. cue on eBay a few weeks back that was listed by a pawn shop in Austin Texas. It went for more than $1700. :smile:

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
Finding a great deal on a cue in a pawnshop started my flipping obsession. Eight years ago, I walked into a pawnshop and picked up a Model#6 Palmer window cue from the first catalog for $80 out the door. Bryan Mordt told me I could do well on Ebay and I let him list it for me. We made a nice profit which went into my next cue buy. That was lots of cues ago. I haven't made a nickel, but I've sure had the chance to play with lots of different cues :D !

Steve

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As posted in the thread I sold the ivory handle Gina Cue. "Rubyron" refers to the Ed Kelly "Boxed" Gina cue (it went for more than the ivory handle Gina cue I sold):

"I remember that cue. IIRC, Greg sold it for a guy named Al Olson who found that gem in a local pawn shop and sent it back to Gina to be restored."

I wished I was the lucky guy for found that cue in a pawn shop.

Last edited:

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a cue that Greg Sowder was refinishing and it was a Schick with ivory and silver. He bought it in a Pawn Shop for less than 100.00. The pawn shop thought it was a decal cue. As I recall he sold the cue for 4,500.00 after it was refinished.

IYAH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Schon at a local pawn shop (cash covertors) for $50.00 and sold the cue (shaft had few minor dings in it) for $500.00 the next night at league ..found out later the next week the guy sold it for $1200.00 LOL ah well still a profit right

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Omega DPK six point cocobolo with triple veneers and ivory inlays. 2 shafts for $150

This guy also had a Meucci gambler for $500

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
ScottW said:
I knew a guy in Denver who found a Scruggs in a pawn shop for dirt cheap.

A guy in my local league found a floating point Scruggs from '96 for $150 in a pawn shop.

Josh

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
All these stories make me a bit sick. Best I could do in a pawn shop recently was a beat up old meucci and a piece of crap of Mcdermott, and a very old Eddie Wheat break cue.

Beware_of_Dawg

Silver Member
I went up to visit family in several parts of Tennessee and West Virginia... I prolly stopped at 20+ pawn shops on my trip found nothing, squat, crap. I pretty much gave up on my dream of hidden cue treasure in the pawn shops.

[/disillusioned]

bullshooter69

Dirt Road Player
Silver Member
I bought a Old Brunswick and a Pechauer same pawn shop both for 125.00. Sold the Brunswick for 135.00 and the Pechauer for 600.00. Old Mcdermott for 125.00 sold for 700.00. At yard sales I have bought a one piece Titelist for 5.00 sold for 260.00 a Rich cue 6.00 sold for 200.00 another cue i could never identify but i always thought was a Richard Black i bought for 8.00 listed on ebay and sold for 260.00. I used to have a goal when i went Pawn shopping I wanted to make 50.00 it has gotten harder and harder to find any good deals pawn shops are asking way to much for junk cues. With the blue books coming out and pawn shops selling on ebay the shops don"t put the good product out on the shelf.

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a friend, who's girlfriend bought him a stick in a pawnshop. Top of the line Schon...she paid 200 for it. It retails at 2200.00

KOINNKID

Troy
Silver Member
Wow! This is how I got started 7 years ago. I walked into a Pawn shop near home and found a Schon for $150.00. At the same time I had just strated selling junk around the house that I did not need on Ebay. So I decided to put the Schon up on auction. I was amazed at that it brought in $500.00 in the shape it was in. A week later I stopped back at the same Pawn shop and picked up a Mcdermott and a Viking for a total of $65.00 and sold them both on Ebay 7 days later. Mcdermott went for $62 and the Viking went for $68.00. Ever since then I have been stopping at Pawn shops around my local area picking up cues. A year or so later I picked up a Bob Frey cue and an It's George case for $150.00. Sold the case for $148.00 and the cue went for $1100.00. I have more but those were the good ones.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know of a woman who bought a cue in a pawnshop in TX, a few years ago, for $75. Turns out it was an original Gus Szamboti...worth several thousand!
She kept the cue.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com