I am quiting apa.....lost 9 ball play offs tonight

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I I am a 5 and lost to another 5 tonight. I gave that sandbagger ball in hand 4 times tonight and he beat me 38-33.:angry: Nah I aint quitting......j/ k about that :D could have been a lot worse if I had not put one break and run on him. Whew !!

On a positive note . We did win 8 ball playoffs tonight. I played a 6 and won 4-2.I love it 😊 hen they attempt break and runs and fail. Gives me the opportunity to safety the crap out of them.

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody is scoring defense shots correctly then... ��

Otherwise you wouldn't be a 5

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody is scoring defense shots correctly then... ��

Otherwise you wouldn't be a 5

I have often wondered how their safeties actually equate into the scoring since their formula is a "secret."

I think you should have to announce safeties before you shoot so you can't luck out and then say it was a safety. I have seen that way too many times.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I I am a 5 and lost to another 5 tonight. I gave that sandbagger ball in hand 4 times tonight and he beat me 38-33.:angry: Nah I aint quitting......j/ k about that :D could have been a lot worse if I had not put one break and run on him. Whew !!

On a positive note . We did win 8 ball playoffs tonight. I played a 6 and won 4-2.I love it 😊 hen they attempt break and runs and fail. Gives me the opportunity to safety the crap out of them.

Unless this is a joke, why would you think that losing to another 5 by 5 points with giving him ball in hand 4 times makes him a sandbagger? Seems like a very even game.

If anything, you had a break and run, if a 5 in 9 ball did that to me, I'd think they were the sandbagger. A 5 in 9 ball APA is maybe a C, which means that 7,8 ball runs are pretty much never done by them.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Unless this is a joke, why would you think that losing to another 5 by 5 points with giving him ball in hand 4 times makes him a sandbagger? Seems like a very even game.

If anything, you had a break and run, if a 5 in 9 ball did that to me, I'd think they were the sandbagger. A 5 in 9 ball APA is maybe a C, which means that 7,8 ball runs are pretty much never done by them.

I think he was being sarcastic.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I have often wondered how their safeties actually equate into the scoring since their formula is a "secret."

I think you should have to announce safeties before you shoot so you can't luck out and then say it was a safety. I have seen that way too many times.

They subtract an inning per safety. So you play 20 innings total in your match and the score keeper marked 5 defensive shots,
your 20 innings goes to 15 innings. I understand it's not quite that simple, but that's basically how that part works.

Your APA Team Manual says you should let your opponent know when you intend to shoot a defensive shot. I have found that most
score keepers don't care anyway. It's very subjective. I'll be in a match and the score keeper will almost always ask, "was that a safe?"
and I'll always just tell them if you think is was just mark it down or where it says defensive shots, just write "yes".

I think part of the problem is that score keeping almost always falls to the newer players, they can't really identify a defensive shot.
I've played in matches where the score keeper marked every miss as a defensive shot and some where no defensive shots were marked.
Announcing a defensive shot to me is almost pointless, the score keeper will do what they do anyway. For me I always just play to win
and I play appropriate defensive shots when I need to. I can't control the score keeper. I've encountered too many people that don't really
know how keep score and have no real interest in learning, and far too many experienced players that whine about a sandbagger "so damn it,
they're gonna report you and get you moved up" and mark you 10 additional defensive shots, .....eh...... so what. Give your best effort and the
scoring and skill level will take care of itself.

You really can't control all the "Frank Burns" types that whine and are keeping score.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was poking fun at big kats quoting apa thread. ...pogmothoin got it right....its a joke :grin:

On a serious note..if you give an opponent of equal playing ability bih 4 times during a match you deserve to lose and I said as much in big kats thread.

I have to say that part of your post bugs me . You and many others think that when an opponent plays better than "you " think they should the first thing that pops in your mind is that they are a sandbagger.

It does not matter that they had the easiest layout you ever saw.

It does not matter that they got a few lucky rolls

It does not matter that they made a shot that they could not duplicate if their life depended on it.

The only thing that matters to you is that in this particular match they ran more balls than "you " think they are capable of and therefore must be a sandbagger.

It's funny as hell but sad at the same time.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have a hard copy of the way that skills levels are set. I think it was put on the internet years ago, and I printed it.....:eek:

Ken

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a hard copy of the way that skills levels are set. I think it was put on the internet years ago, and I printed it.....:eek:

Ken

I would love to see that....

We had our APA end of session meeting this weekend. I actually won Top Gun for the first time ever. I was really proud of myself. Had a great session.

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member

Ken

hmmm I have it somewhere... I will have to dig it up. It was part of a litigation

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats!

This is on a barbox??

Our 8 ball tri cups will be held on pretty well maintained 7'diamonds. Our 9 ball tri cups will be held of not so well kept valleys..

Lil I said in my other post...we also play on gold crowns...which are well kept...valleys which are well kept.

Our league is not prejudiced....we play on them all :)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what skill level would he or she be? I hustle the sh!t out of safeties and I'm still a 3 in 9b and a 4 in 8b
Just curious

A 3/4 that plays safes? Interesting !

I dont see that too often around here although I did get into quite a safety battle with a 4 a few weeks ago in a cash tournament. Heck there are 5's here who hardly ever play a safe.

Curious as to what your lifetime def avg is .mine is 1.84 in 8 ball and 1.15 in 9 ball.

Keep.in mind these numbers are some what skewed as they are based on approximately 1200 matches and i never started playing safes until a few years ago. My actual avg would be almost double over the last few years matches.

I hardly ever play safes during regular session as the games would take to long that night and have to get up early for work. I have been known to play as high as 20 or so safes in a match during higher level tournaments though.

ironsoldier71

Registered
I'd just watch the tangent line to make sure your not scratching as much. I have done it myself. It is common. The best thing is just to watch that cue ball path after the shot. Then you don't hand them ball in hand as much. Say if you only did it once you would have gotten him. He would not have had a high of a score without the ball in hands.

Kind Regards,
Michael McDonald
Shooters Billiard Supply
www.shootersbilliardsupply.com

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Ken

I've seen a copy that details 8 ball skill level parameters, including the "applied scoring" nonsense, but never anything with 9 ball. I'm curious how 9 ball works though. Can you share some insights on 9 ball scoring?