What is the greatest compliment someone has given you?

Rubyron

R.I.P. Smorgass Bored
Silver Member
I think mine was from Johnny Archer in 1992. He said "nice shot" when I was playing him. That isn't much but considering he was the world champion at the time it meant a lot to me.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One time, I made a two-rail bank in the side pocket in front of a crowd of spectators. I fired it in with authority. One of the railbirds yelled out, "Whoa. That was a real manly shot." :D :D :D

JAM

Rubyron

R.I.P. Smorgass Bored
Silver Member
JimS said:
My 14 yr old grandson wrote an essay about me saying I was his hero. Tears rolled on that one. Ooops.. here they come again :)

OK, thats better than a compliment from Johnny Archer.

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
I was playing Jose Parica at the Reno Bar Table Championships in 2006 when my shot on the 8-ball below came up. I don't remember how the entire game went down but I apparently had botched the runout and only had the 8-ball left on the table. I was probably sitting in my chair cursing myself at this point for screwing up a runout when all of the sudden Jose miscues! He ended up making his ball but he didn't have a decent shot.

He still had most of his balls on the table but I forgot exactly how they were. He played a safe and ended up leaving me the following shot. I could barely see the edge of the 8 ball and there was no possible way to play safe because he still had many balls. So I got down and pulled off one of the sickest cut shots I've ever done. I looked back at Jose and he just kind of set back in his chair giggling at how obsurd the shot I just made was. He never said nice shot but just his reaction alone is one of my best compliments I've gotten in pool.

I ended up losing to Jose 5-3. In the last game I ended up running out to the 8 and had to bank it behind one of his balls with some speed to shorten the angle and it bobbled deep into the corner pocket and got spit back out. :( He then proceeded to runout and on his last ball before the 8 he hit it with inside english to go off the end rail towards the 8 close to the side pocket. The cue ball went straight for the side pocket and bounced off the tit and left him straight in on the 8... If I could have won that game it would have been hill-hill with me breaking. He was the first pro I had ever played in a tournament. It was nice to give him a run for his money at least.

CueTable Help

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
JimS said:
My 14 yr old grandson wrote an essay about me saying I was his hero. Tears rolled on that one. Ooops.. here they come again :)

You know I was going to say something about pool, but your post redirected me....
When one of my son's was about 4, he was walking up the driveway with his grandmother. I had come home early from work that day and was standing in the kitchen doorway, my son raised his hand pointing straight at me and with a look of pride on his face said "That's my dad!". Stupid thing I guess; he's 26 now and surely doesn't remember, but I'll always remember that moment and the immense feeling of pride and love it engendered.
Cats. <== misses his little ones, the "baby" is 24 now.

Oh yeah, pool related. The best player in our room after beating me and letting me shoot only twice in 5 racks said that he didn't want to let me to the table because I play too well. He was probably overstating, but I still took it as a complement.

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Compliments

Not exactly the best "compliment", but most definitely the most complimentary....

I play a guy in a local bar. He can't win. First game we play I go three rails for position after my shot and end pocketing the eight off a kiss. Obviously, he wins. I have only shot two shots. He thinks I can't play at all, so we double the bet.

Over the course of the next hour and a half, he never wins a game. He tells me great shot, and how nice it is to finally play someone who can play. I keep winning, he keeps paying and telling me more and more how much he enjoys it and how good I am. At this point, I have already seen how much he has and he is just paying it all.

He finally empties his wallet and says he thinks he would like to play some more. The guy has been so nice and is still bragging on me the whole time, so I figure I'll give him a free roll anyway. I win four more. He says hang on and goes to the ATM. He comes back and tells me the ATM is not working. I'm thinking whatever. The guy says come on I'll go to the gas station up the road. We come out he tosses me his keys says no need to waste your gas. I drive him to the ATM. He gets out 4 more and then asks if I want anything from the store.

You couldn't ask for a more enjoyable victory.

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not as good as yours!

Well this might not be as good as everyone elses, but it was a compliment to me! My team last season voted me as the MVP for the playoffs, and granted I am not the best person on the team by any means. I really did play my ass off in the playoffs though, and it was a great honor to me that everyone thought I deserved the playoff MVP.

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
txplshrk said:
Well this might not be as good as everyone elses, but it was a compliment to me! My team last season voted me as the MVP for the playoffs, and granted I am not the best person on the team by any means. I really did play my ass off in the playoffs though, and it was a great honor to me

that everyone thought I deserved the playoff MVP.[/QU

When i hear me little girl every morning call my name to tell me she love me...

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played Antonio Gabica, and he didn't day a damn thing about me or my game; Silence can be golden. I can only imagine what must have been running through his mind, aside from the fact that he was giving an outrageous spot, and still ran through me like a hot knife through butter.

That had a profound effect on my game.

Rubyron

R.I.P. Smorgass Bored
Silver Member
Gregg said:
I played Antonio Gabica, and he didn't day a damn thing about me or my game; Silence can be golden. I can only imagine what must have been running through his mind, aside from the fact that he was giving an outrageous spot, and still ran through me like a hot knife through butter.

That had a profound effect on my game.

He didn't even say "nice racking":)

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
While playing Scott Lee some 1P, he said "That was a nice shot Mike"
It was a difficult short rail bank using inside english, to get out of one of his brutal safeties.:D

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Compliments

One good player told me I had the toughest mental game of any player he had ever played.

And any time I hear, 'Holy Sh*t, man!'..... :D

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
I assume this is all pool related compliments. I was practicing one day at school when this gorgeous girl comes in and watches me play for about 3 hours. Never met her before in my life. I won't go into the details of what happened later. She must have been slumming or something.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Two that stand out were:

At the now defunct Harleys Rack and Q in Jax florida. I had just made a shot where I jacked up from near froze and made a long draw shot on the 8 to pull back 6ft for position on the nine which was froze on the rail near the cueball. This was on the main front table which had super tough pockets. The pocket I had just shot into was the toughest one on the table and from the side rail the pocket was as I remember it like a snooker pocket almost. A railbird said to me "How does it feel to be able to make a shot that others might never be able to make in their lifetime?".

Leaving Chinos in Oakland CA. where I just broke even with a guy who played better than me, but I played over my head and got ahead of him enough that it took him 2.5hrs to get even. A railbird stopped me on the way out and said to me and my buddy Dave Etzione. "<pointing at Dave E> You play pool but <points at me> your a PLAYER". I know my buddy didnt like that comment and I had mixed emotions about it at the time, but the memory of it sticks out when I think of compliments I have received in the pool room.