Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page New rack both balls in the rack area
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-16-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althair View Post
... 25 years ago in "newsgroups" in early days of the internet. ...
... which seems like a different universe now.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

bca
Old
  (#32)
Danny Harriman
One of the best in 14.1
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

bca - 01-16-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althair View Post
OK - cue ball and 15th ball (break ball or play safety). You spot the object ball on the head spot and play the cue ball from in the kitchen. My question is: IS THE OBJECT BALL LOCATED ON THE HEAD SPOT LEGAL TO SHOOT AT? My impression is that a ball ON the head string is not "in" the kitchen and should be a legal shot. But I'm having difficulty finding the right answer in the official BCA rules. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk
Yes the bca rule book is awkward, we need a new governing body for Pocket Billiards. Maybe they know u cannot play straight pool in one of their bar leagues - so they display the rules in a difficult manner? I really don't think that 14.1 fits into their business plan or model of promoting bar leegs'.

One of the best Straight Pool players - on any soil - or gravity for the matter.

Last edited by Danny Harriman; 01-16-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Ohh ya
Old
  (#33)
Danny Harriman
One of the best in 14.1
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

Ohh ya - 01-16-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
If the object ball is 1/2mm outside the rack area, it is more or less impossible to rack without disturbing the ball even for the steadiest racker. Instead of moving it and then putting it back to the best of the ref's guess, it makes a lot more sense to mark the position, remove the ball, rack the balls and then put the ball back precisely where it was.

There were lots of things missing or broken in the old BCA rule book.
There are a few things' as u stated that are definitely broken or crooked in the bca drive by media sludge these dais'. Besides their little book of rules. bca = beaurorcratic - corrupt - asinine. They are truly a bad outfit, If i were to join a bar league it would for sure not be bca government liars.

One of the best Straight Pool players - on any soil - or gravity for the matter.

Last edited by Danny Harriman; 01-16-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Old
  (#34)
king cut
AzB Bronze Member
king cut is on a distinguished road

02-16-2020, 02:47 PM

Iím a little confused, are you saying that the thickness of the rack doesnít matter as long as the 15th ball doesnít interfere with the 14 racked ball when the rack is not there itís ok. I thought the lines where drawn on the outside of the rack, not the inside of the rack!

Old
  (#35)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king cut View Post
Iím a little confused, are you saying that the thickness of the rack doesnít matter as long as the 15th ball doesnít interfere with the 14 racked ball when the rack is not there itís ok. I thought the lines where drawn on the outside of the rack, not the inside of the rack!
The rule says in part:
A ball is considered to interfere with the rack if it is within or overlaps the outline of the rack.
The outline is drawn outside the triangle. The rules don't actually state that and they probably should. The marking would be done by the installer and nearly all of them know to mark the outside. That is "obviously" what needs to be marked but things are not so obvious to new players.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by Bob Jewett; 02-16-2020 at 07:31 PM.

Old
  (#36)
king cut
AzB Bronze Member
king cut is on a distinguished road

02-16-2020, 08:04 PM

Thanks Bob, that clears it up and thatís the way we always played.

Old
  (#37)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

02-16-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king cut View Post
Thanks Bob, that clears it up and thatís the way we always played.
And so far as I know, it has been played that way for 100 years. The only recent addition is the marking part.

The rules for the 1921 National Championship simply say "interferes with the framing" without further definition, which is open to interpretation. If a ball is so close that it needs to be marked to avoid accidental bumping, it could reasonably be said to "interfere" with the process of racking. I was not there for the tournament, so I don't know exactly how balls very close to the triangle were handled in practice.

I had a situation recently when I should have marked the ball but I was really careful taking the triangle off and I didn't move the ball enough to make any difference, probably.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#38)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

02-16-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harriman View Post
... If i were to join a bar league it would for sure not be bca government liars.
Danny, you need to keep up. The BCA no long has leagues and hasn't had leagues for over a decade.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#39)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

02-16-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harriman View Post
Yes the bca rule book is awkward, ...
Is there anything specific you don't like in the current rules of 14.1 or are you experiencing a general malaise and ennui?

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Fake news
Old
  (#40)
Danny Harriman
One of the best in 14.1

Fake news - 02-20-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Is there anything specific you don't like in the current rules of 14.1 or are you experiencing a general malaise and ennui?
How bout fake news.

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: