Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Made it through a rack
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-11-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM View Post
So I finally made it through a rack and had a good break and ran off 7 more until I got hooked. My goodness this is a difficult game.
It's a tough game. Getting into & especially thru your second rack is not that easy. Plateaus are near, running two racks, then once you've gotten a break shot and run that second rack your coming into a new area. 40 balls is the next plateau, once your in that realm it's real tough to get past the 50's. Once your there then 80 is a Very difficult area to reach. Once you get into that ball count, running over 100 will follow but not often. Competition in this game, will get you to your next level much quicker, than practicing, it's gotta cost you something when you make an Easy mistake that gives the table to your opponent. My father and Otto Graham (best friends) played $1 a hole golf their entire life, even in their retirement years. Bragging rights are important.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#17)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2020, 06:40 PM

I have found that NEVER thinking about racks run - but rather thinking about getting to and making each breakshot is much less stressful and much more liberating to the mind when playing this game. Once you know how to maneuver racks the right way in 14.1 then the key is to get to break balls and make them to get at another open rack and then just repeat the process over and over - look at it as a process and not as a goal to run racks - it flows better that way IMO and experience. Of course you want to make note of your runs when each rack is cleared off the table; but that's the extent of it for me while in the middle of a run. Some of the best 14.1 players I have known have told me they never know how many balls they run while practicing. they don't even bother to count racks- it is all about following the right process for them - the patterns, the do's and don'ts, setting up the next key/break ball via shot selections, etc. Running 100 balls requires doing so many things the right way and Not doing so many things the wrong way - it is way harder than 9 ball, 8 ball, etc. The guy who said it is just about putting balls in pockets must have been joking- I hope!

Old
  (#18)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemosconi View Post
I have found that NEVER thinking about racks run - but rather thinking about getting to and making each breakshot is much less stressful and much more liberating to the mind when playing this game. Once you know how to maneuver racks the right way in 14.1 then the key is to get to break balls and make them to get at another open rack and then just repeat the process over and over - look at it as a process and not as a goal to run racks - it flows better that way IMO and experience. Of course you want to make note of your runs when each rack is cleared off the table; but that's the extent of it for me while in the middle of a run. Some of the best 14.1 players I have known have told me they never know how many balls they run while practicing. they don't even bother to count racks- it is all about following the right process for them - the patterns, the do's and don'ts, setting up the next key/break ball via shot selections, etc. Running 100 balls requires doing so many things the right way and Not doing so many things the wrong way - it is way harder than 9 ball, 8 ball, etc. The guy who said it is just about putting balls in pockets must have been joking- I hope!
Keep in mind, gambling. If you know your opponent max runs 50 and your and 80 ball runner, your in a very good game. I grew up playing Joey Gold and Tommy Spencer and Varner, so I understand this from a different perspective, the days of Collegiate 14.1 Championships were big time for us.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#19)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

02-12-2020, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive View Post
Keep in mind, gambling. If you know your opponent max runs 50 and your and 80 ball runner, your in a very good game. I grew up playing Joey Gold and Tommy Spencer and Varner, so I understand this from a different perspective, the days of Collegiate 14.1 Championships were big time for us.
I think that when gambling in 14.1 the key pieces of information are 1. what are the opponents"consistent" high runs- i.e. in a given 2 hour practice session does that person USUALLY run 20, 50, or say 80 balls. Lifetime high runs don't really mean as much. Anyone running 80 balls consistently in 2 hour practice sessions is pro caliber 14.1. anyone running 50 balls consistently in that time frame is a force to be reckoned with for any other player- especially if they have 2. A strong 14.1 safety game.

In my book a fellow running 50 balls consistently vs. someone who runs 80 balls consistently is even money if given 25 balls in a game to 125. However a fellow with only a LIFETIME 50 ball run vs. a consistent 80 ball runner should just sit out the game- no contest with any spot.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: