Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page So I'm In Action And This Happens - WWYD?
Page 7 of 8 « First 567 8

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#91)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

02-17-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue4me View Post
Bert Kinister has it in one of his earliest videos. I think it was called the Ten Best Hustles. He does it with a quarter on top of the ball, but I'm sure any coin would work. Fun shot to watch as it unfolds, particularly as the c/b dies off the last two rails.
Thanks - I'll look for it if Brian holds out on me.

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Old
  (#92)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

02-17-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Bert Kinister has it in one of his earliest videos. I think it was called the Ten Best Hustles. He does it with a quarter on top of the ball, but I'm sure any coin would work. Fun shot to watch as it unfolds, particularly as the c/b dies off the last two rails.
Got it - Aha! There is some prestidigitation involved after all. I wonder if "Bruiser" knows it.

https://videos.bertkinister.com/vide...-hustles/11217

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 02-17-2020 at 08:22 PM.

Old
  (#93)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-17-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATE View Post
Got it - Aha! There is some prestidigitation involved after all. I wonder if "Bruiser" knows it.

https://videos.bertkinister.com/vide...-hustles/11217
hey Chris, thanks!

Can you or anyone else hear what he's saying on that vid? I'm getting worse than Charlie Brown's teacher, can't make out one word.

The only trick I'm aware of on this penny ball game (yes you can use a quarter but they are easier, the penny makes it more difficult) is to place the penny with Lincoln's head up as the tail side can grip better. But if your playing shot for shot with someone your both shooting at the same target so no advantage.

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Old
  (#94)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

02-17-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jviss View Post
Great story! Who drew the picture?
a friend of mine, he's a tattoo artist

Old
  (#95)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado

02-17-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelic7 View Post
Was cool hearing the story again. Eloquently described for sure. I know both Brian and his opponent, but wasnt there the day this happened. I gotta give kudos to Brian for stepping up to this player. Not a road Id want to go down. It is tempting though, because have seen him give up some serious weight.

Drawing cracks me up. Nice touch with the ball gag.
thx sir; maybe see you tmrw?

Old
  (#96)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

02-17-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Cue Ball Kelly did it with a piece of chalk on top of the ball and he threw the ball with his hand and the cue ball had to freeze to the object ball after five cushions. It was a mistake to give him more than ten tries. I'll try it in 20 if the table is working right. (New cloth goes too long for a normal throw.)

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#97)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

02-17-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin' Chicken View Post
A couple of weeks ago I'm in action with a very strong player who is a big, burly, very p-r-i-c-k-ly fellow with a history of, well, let's just call it unpredictability. We're playing a set of 9b and he's giving me a generous spot racing to 7 for a c-note. I win 7-1 and he's extremely unhappy about it and shows it by banging his head hard on the slate a few times and grumbling. He throws my hundo up on a nearby shelf and starts to collect his gear.

The group of railbirds who were watching our match were all alarmed and quiet as church mice after this display; he was seriously pissed off. As usual, I like to try to inject humor into these kinds of situations and so I cut through the quiet by asking, "You wanna go again?" The railbirds all began laughing and to my astonishment he said "Sure Chicken, I'll torture myself some more", and so we began set #2.

He's starting to outrun the spot and goes up 4-3 but then he doesn't come back to the table the next 3 games and I'm on the hill. There is a wired 8-9 about 6" off the foot rail and I set up 2 times to bank at this dead combo both times missing it by a frog hair BUT on the first miss the object ball goes around it 3 rails and into the side pocket. Then on the second attempt the object ball whistles right past it at 100 mph and goes in cross corner. In my peripheral vision I'm seeing steam come out his ears and he's starting to grumble more and squirm in his seat. My next shot I'm off angle too far to hold for a cross-side bank so I decide to try to kick it in, it was off the rail enough to get behind it and it looked good to me. I freakin miscue but still make the shot - it sounded horrible but the ball tracked dead center into the cross side. Holy crap, I think if I was him I would've wanted to kill me, too.

I finish off the last couple balls and in utter disgust he walks away toward a far wall and begins whacking himself in the forehead and making this noise I remember from old-cartoons when depicting a crazy person; sounds something like ayeyiyiyi. He starts getting his gear together again and no way am I asking this time if he wants to go one more time. He heads for the bathroom and then comes back and says "fvck you Chicken, I hate you' as he flings my c-note, all shredded in little pieces onto the table, and then leaves.

I know what I did.

WWYD?

best,
brian kc
Make him post. Avoids the whole problem. Game/action management is very important.

Moving forward-play him again and bet more. Your in his head real good and have the best of it. Customers dont always have the best manors. But Id rather collect from a jackass than pay off a nice man.

Well done with the win,
Fatboy

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

Old
  (#98)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
02-18-2020, 06:22 AM

Ding dong daddy.

Over and over and over and over again and again and again...?!
Quote:
hey Chris, thanks!

Can you or anyone else hear what he's saying on that vid? I'm getting worse than Charlie Brown's teacher, can't make out one word.

The only trick I'm aware of on this penny ball game (yes you can use a quarter but they are easier, the penny makes it more difficult) is to place the penny with Lincoln's head up as the tail side can grip better. But if your playing shot for shot with someone your both shooting at the same target so no advantage.

LOOK! EVERYTHING'S SPINNING.

Old
  (#99)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-18-2020, 06:25 AM

I don't know about all this. If I had a guy stuck and steaming like that I damn sure wouldn't be chasing him outside. That's a recipe for disaster. I think I would have gathered up the shredded bill and put it in an envelope. The next time the guy wanted to play me (after he calmed down), I would show him the envelope and told him after he makes good on the shredded bill then we can play. If he wouldn't make good then we don't have to play any more. In a situation like this you would probably get your money. That is, if you really wanted to gamble with him again.

Don't get me wrong, I will stand up for myself in a poolroom when necessary, but use my head and my mouth and not my fists if possible. There were a few times when a guy didn't want to pay me and my speech usually sounded like this, "If I lose I will always pay off and I expect the same thing in return. I won fair and square and you know it. I expect you to pay me if you lose and if you win I will only say 'good game' when I pay you." You'd be surprised how well a little speech like this works. It's embarrassing for the guy not to pay you after that.

Of course, after making this public, it will probably never work again.

I will only add this. There have a been a couple of times in business where someone tried to pull a fast one on me and in those cases I confronted them, showing up in their office and refusing to leave until I got paid. I had a couple of close calls but I did get my money. These same guys had stiffed other people, but in my case the squeaky wheel got the grease. I was genuinely pissed and determined to get the money owed to me. Let's just say that I wasn't bluffing. They would have had to physically throw me out of their office and they knew it.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#100)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado

02-18-2020, 07:20 AM

thanks for all the responses.

@TATE: I don't know how to post videos but someone did record me playing the penny game with Efren last year. How strong is this? He made a successful shot on his very first attempt!

He was gracious to accept my offer to play such a game.

Last edited by Kickin' Chicken; 02-19-2020 at 07:49 AM.

Old
  (#101)
strtshtr
AzB Silver Member
strtshtr has a reputation beyond reputestrtshtr has a reputation beyond reputestrtshtr has a reputation beyond reputestrtshtr has a reputation beyond reputestrtshtr has a reputation beyond reputestrtshtr has a reputation beyond reputestrtshtr has a reputation beyond reputestrtshtr has a reputation beyond reputestrtshtr has a reputation beyond reputestrtshtr has a reputation beyond reputestrtshtr has a reputation beyond repute

02-26-2020, 07:32 AM

Thought I'd chime in here. I was in the poolroom that day, watching and enjoying the action. As an eye witness, I will tell you that Brian's account of the episode is 100% accurate, not embellished in the least. I have known both men for many years, and have played each of them on numerous occasions.
The sequence of events leading up to the melt down was nothing short of incredible. Chicken's three consecutive misses, each one resulting in a pocketed ball, were each remarkable, taken individually. But back to back to back, they were like nothing I'd seen in more than 40 years of playing our great game. Add this to the fact that the victim of these shots is a terrific player who honestly believes that he has never gotten a good roll, and that bad luck befalls only him. You could almost see his blood pressure escalating with each fluke shot. Those of us in attendance were biting down hard on our tongues to keep from laughing, anticipating an eruption from Brian's opponent.
Subsequent to the shredding and scattering of the bills, there was the expected jawing back and forth before The Shredder (with apologies to Danny Smith) departed. Upon realizing that The Chicken had pursued him to the parking lot, I threw on my jacket and ran after him, my main intent to limit the physical damage that Chicken was bound to incur. I am not a small man, but I would not like our chances, the two of us versus an enraged Shredder. He is a rather imposing figure. To my relief, it never went beyond words being exchanged and The Shredder driving off.
I want to emphasize, however, that this is simply a story about a remarkable turn of events. It is not a story about a hero and a villain. I count both The Chicken and The Shredder as friends, ones i believe would help me, were I in a jam. And I would do the same for either of them. They are both good guys, and I enjoy their company. We all have been guilty, at one time or another, of reacting poorly to adversity. I myself am a rather poor loser. I'm not proud of it, and I wish I was more gracious. We all have our flaws.
Fortunately, Chicken's story had a happy ending, and we are all left with memories of a remarkable day in the poolroom. It's one I will not soon forget.

Old
  (#102)
Nostroke
AzB Gold Member
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
02-26-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
I don't know about all this. If I had a guy stuck and steaming like that I damn sure wouldn't be chasing him outside. That's a recipe for disaster. I think I would have gathered up the shredded bill and put it in an envelope. The next time the guy wanted to play me (after he calmed down), I would show him the envelope and told him after he makes good on the shredded bill then we can play. If he wouldn't make good then we don't have to play any more. In a situation like this you would probably get your money. That is, if you really wanted to gamble with him again.

Don't get me wrong, I will stand up for myself in a poolroom when necessary, but use my head and my mouth and not my fists if possible. There were a few times when a guy didn't want to pay me and my speech usually sounded like this, "If I lose I will always pay off and I expect the same thing in return. I won fair and square and you know it. I expect you to pay me if you lose and if you win I will only say 'good game' when I pay you." You'd be surprised how well a little speech like this works. It's embarrassing for the guy not to pay you after that.

Of course, after making this public, it will probably never work again.

I will only add this. There have a been a couple of times in business where someone tried to pull a fast one on me and in those cases I confronted them, showing up in their office and refusing to leave until I got paid. I had a couple of close calls but I did get my money. These same guys had stiffed other people, but in my case the squeaky wheel got the grease. I was genuinely pissed and determined to get the money owed to me. Let's just say that I wasn't bluffing. They would have had to physically throw me out of their office and they knew it.

You were like a Bulldog when that guy in Arizona stiffed you or one of your players!

Old
  (#103)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado

02-26-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strtshtr View Post
Thought I'd chime in here. I was in the poolroom that day, watching and enjoying the action. As an eye witness, I will tell you that Brian's account of the episode is 100% accurate, not embellished in the least. I have known both men for many years, and have played each of them on numerous occasions.
The sequence of events leading up to the melt down was nothing short of incredible. Chicken's three consecutive misses, each one resulting in a pocketed ball, were each remarkable, taken individually. But back to back to back, they were like nothing I'd seen in more than 40 years of playing our great game. Add this to the fact that the victim of these shots is a terrific player who honestly believes that he has never gotten a good roll, and that bad luck befalls only him. You could almost see his blood pressure escalating with each fluke shot. Those of us in attendance were biting down hard on our tongues to keep from laughing, anticipating an eruption from Brian's opponent.
Subsequent to the shredding and scattering of the bills, there was the expected jawing back and forth before The Shredder (with apologies to Danny Smith) departed. Upon realizing that The Chicken had pursued him to the parking lot, I threw on my jacket and ran after him, my main intent to limit the physical damage that Chicken was bound to incur. I am not a small man, but I would not like our chances, the two of us versus an enraged Shredder. He is a rather imposing figure. To my relief, it never went beyond words being exchanged and The Shredder driving off.
I want to emphasize, however, that this is simply a story about a remarkable turn of events. It is not a story about a hero and a villain. I count both The Chicken and The Shredder as friends, ones i believe would help me, were I in a jam. And I would do the same for either of them. They are both good guys, and I enjoy their company. We all have been guilty, at one time or another, of reacting poorly to adversity. I myself am a rather poor loser. I'm not proud of it, and I wish I was more gracious. We all have our flaws.
Fortunately, Chicken's story had a happy ending, and we are all left with memories of a remarkable day in the poolroom. It's one I will not soon forget.
hey Jimmy Tomatoes, not sure if I ever thanked you for having my tail feathers in the parking lot that night. If not, thank you, Sir!

Hey, don't be so sure I would've been bound to incur damage though I'll agree I was prob a 9-2 or worse dog if he went off but you never know. Maybe I peck out his eyes and then he can pick up and throw as many cars as he wants, he'd probably miss me.

My shredding opponent and I were looking to maybe get some action going again last night but every single table was taken so him, me, Bobby, Greg and Joe all went out for a burger and a beer. Plan B has Narragansetts!

see you soon.

best,
brian kc

Old
  (#104)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

02-26-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
A couple of weeks ago I'm in action with a very strong player who is a big, burly, very p-r-i-c-k-ly fellow with a history of, well, let's just call it unpredictability. We're playing a set of 9b and he's giving me a generous spot racing to 7 for a c-note. I win 7-1 and he's extremely unhappy about it and shows it by banging his head hard on the slate a few times and grumbling. He throws my hundo up on a nearby shelf and starts to collect his gear.

The group of railbirds who were watching our match were all alarmed and quiet as church mice after this display; he was seriously pissed off. As usual, I like to try to inject humor into these kinds of situations and so I cut through the quiet by asking, "You wanna go again?" The railbirds all began laughing and to my astonishment he said "Sure Chicken, I'll torture myself some more", and so we began set #2.

He's starting to outrun the spot and goes up 4-3 but then he doesn't come back to the table the next 3 games and I'm on the hill. There is a wired 8-9 about 6" off the foot rail and I set up 2 times to bank at this dead combo both times missing it by a frog hair BUT on the first miss the object ball goes around it 3 rails and into the side pocket. Then on the second attempt the object ball whistles right past it at 100 mph and goes in cross corner. In my peripheral vision I'm seeing steam come out his ears and he's starting to grumble more and squirm in his seat. My next shot I'm off angle too far to hold for a cross-side bank so I decide to try to kick it in, it was off the rail enough to get behind it and it looked good to me. I freakin miscue but still make the shot - it sounded horrible but the ball tracked dead center into the cross side. Holy crap, I think if I was him I would've wanted to kill me, too.

I finish off the last couple balls and in utter disgust he walks away toward a far wall and begins whacking himself in the forehead and making this noise I remember from old-cartoons when depicting a crazy person; sounds something like ayeyiyiyi. He starts getting his gear together again and no way am I asking this time if he wants to go one more time. He heads for the bathroom and then comes back and says "fvck you Chicken, I hate you' as he flings my c-note, all shredded in little pieces onto the table, and then leaves.

I know what I did.

WWYD?

best,
brian kc
Sad noting,picked up pieces, scotch tape pasted the money back together, gone to bank to get fresh new whole note, and forget the incident.

Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Old
  (#105)
Scratch85
AzB Silver Member
Scratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond repute

02-26-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:

My shredding opponent and I were looking to maybe get some action going again last night but every single table was taken so him, me, Bobby, Greg and Joe all went out for a burger and a beer. Plan B has Narragansetts!

OMG, this, with the backstory, so describes every local gamble!

Talk shit, gamble, talk more shit, threaten, act the ass, dont apologize but be amicable, talk more shit, have a burger. . . repeat as many times as necessary to keep the action going.

Pretty much describes my entire pool scene! 🤪

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Page 7 of 8 « First 567 8

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: