Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How do you turn the tide when you just don't "have it"
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
HNTFSH
AzB Silver Member
HNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-26-2020, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
For in-match, try to make sure you are accurately visualizing the shot and that you are looking clearly at the object ball with sharp focus for about a second just before you shoot (and through the shot).
After stepping away for 15 years and now back I can relate OP. Bob's quote above is simple and very true, almost so obvious you can see right past it when your mind isn't focused. Especially with your comment about use of english and your team mates getting into your head.

Personally, I've started my warm up routine taking stupid simple practice shots, drawing the cue ball for fun, positioning balls to be un-missable, and mixing slow, light rolls with firm pocket slams. In my case, possibly yours, it's about stroke confidence combined with the quote above.

Old
  (#17)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

02-26-2020, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dquarasr View Post
First post. Been a lurker for a while but only in fall of 2019 have I started playing in league.

Probably been covered many times but please, be gentle on a noob.

Tonight I played my absolute worst. I knew after I lost the first two racks (8-ball) that I was in trouble.

So, how do you turn the tide? I could not "see" shots. There are only so many times you can stand back up when you know you can't see the shot. I stood up so many friggin' times tonight because I could not see a shot it was embarrassing, and was close to being called for slow play.

What do you do to turn it around? I lost EVERY RACK tonight. I missed straight shots. I made difficult cut shots. I missed easy shots left. I missed easy shots right. I was a total hot mess.

I tried going back to fundamentals: contact point; stance; stroking through the cue ball; stroking through to the contact point. NOTHING worked. I tried relaxing. I tried being analytical. I tried saying "f-it" and just trusting my line up. NOTHING WORKED.

When faced with a couple of bad racks, what do you do to get yourself back in the game?!?

Please note I have recently been practicing and have a new mantra for me that worked very well: contact point; foot position; stance; get down on the shot; confirm contact point; align shoulder; ensure follow through to the CB to the perceived contact point. I have practiced and have been very happy with the results. But in league play tonight I couldn't make a shot to save my life.

Mental tips MOST welcome!!
Change cues! I know this sounds trite but believe me when I tell you it will make a difference. Even picking up a house cue is a good alternative when you are feeling this way.

P.S. You're right. It is a "mental" thing and you need to put your mental energy somewhere else. Like getting the feel of a different cue (which surprisingly will feel better than the cue you had been playing with). I don't know why stuff like this works but it does. Even Efren would often change cues in mid match.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Last edited by jay helfert; 02-26-2020 at 04:37 AM.

Old
  (#18)
brigeton
AzB Bronze Member
brigeton has a reputation beyond reputebrigeton has a reputation beyond reputebrigeton has a reputation beyond reputebrigeton has a reputation beyond reputebrigeton has a reputation beyond reputebrigeton has a reputation beyond reputebrigeton has a reputation beyond reputebrigeton has a reputation beyond reputebrigeton has a reputation beyond reputebrigeton has a reputation beyond reputebrigeton has a reputation beyond repute

02-26-2020, 04:31 AM

When this happens to me it's usually because I'm not staying down on the shots. I may not be moving much but it's enough to miss. Sometimes I realize it after a couple shots and other times not for a couple of games before I say to myself Hey, you must be jumping up. I don't play on a league anymore, just weekly tournaments so it is sometimes hard to self diagnose. You can have team members watch you and see if your head/body moves on the shot.

Old
  (#19)
Buster8001
Did you say shrubberies?
Buster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond repute

02-26-2020, 05:00 AM

Quote:
First post. Been a lurker for a while but only in fall of 2019 have I started playing in league.

Tonight I played my absolute worst. I knew after I lost the first two racks (8-ball) that I was in trouble.

So, how do you turn the tide? I could not "see" shots. There are only so many times you can stand back up when you know you can't see the shot. I stood up so many friggin' times tonight because I could not see a shot it was embarrassing, and was close to being called for slow play.

What do you do to turn it around? I lost EVERY RACK tonight. I missed straight shots. I made difficult cut shots. I missed easy shots left. I missed easy shots right. I was a total hot mess.

I tried going back to fundamentals: contact point; stance; stroking through the cue ball; stroking through to the contact point. NOTHING worked. I tried relaxing. I tried being analytical. I tried saying "f-it" and just trusting my line up. NOTHING WORKED.

When faced with a couple of bad racks, what do you do to get yourself back in the game?!?

Please note I have recently been practicing and have a new mantra for me that worked very well: contact point; foot position; stance; get down on the shot; confirm contact point; align shoulder; ensure follow through to the CB to the perceived contact point. I have practiced and have been very happy with the results. But in league play tonight I couldn't make a shot to save my life.

You have to figure out a trigger to re-center yourself.

What do you do when you're really pissed off and need to calm down? What do you do when shit hits the fan at work and you need to concentrate?

Sometimes I need to excuse myself to the rest room and splash some water in my face. Sometimes I need a drink. Like Jay said, sometimes picking up another cue will be different enough in your hands to help you focus. It seems you "bounced around" a lot in your thought process: " I tried relaxing. I tried being analytical. I tried saying "f-it" and just trusting my line up"; but you didn't give any of them a chance to work.

I know it's much easier said than done, but you have to bear down and stay that way.

"Eight ball up her thight!"
-Kung Fu Master-

"Pool is an analog game in a digital world."
-Chuck Fields-

Old
  (#20)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member

evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

02-26-2020, 05:22 AM

great question
and I can relate
no great answer here
but an honest one

"keep playing"

I'm finding that the more time I put into pool
the more pool is there for me when I need it

putting some "good luck" in the air for you as well
coz
why not

A billiard table is that richest of metaphors,
by turns a theatre, an altar, touchstone, gauntlet,
ritual ground, a gunfighter's high noon, a refuge,
a verdant landscape for balls to scatter and rest in meaningful synchronicity,
a classroom, a karma dance, mirror of moods, a guide and trusted friend...

-- from grissim's "billiards"

Old
  (#21)
336Robin
Dir Multiverse Earth Ops
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-26-2020, 05:26 AM

You take your lumps, then you practice.

Quote:

"Let your "Stick" do the talking!"

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $3.99!"

The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Change your game for a couple of Bucks! and
Comes with a lesson!

Old
  (#22)
dquarasr
AzB Bronze Member
dquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond repute

02-26-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
After stepping away for 15 years and now back I can relate OP. Bob's quote above is simple and very true, almost so obvious you can see right past it when your mind isn't focused. Especially with your comment about use of english and your team mates getting into your head.

Personally, I've started my warm up routine taking stupid simple practice shots, drawing the cue ball for fun, positioning balls to be un-missable, and mixing slow, light rolls with firm pocket slams. In my case, possibly yours, it's about stroke confidence combined with the quote above.
Oh, man, that struck a nerve. For whatever reason, I had very little confidence last night that I could make any shot. I'm sure that factored into my extremely poor performance. Then it snowballed. Lack of confidence, inability to make a shot, led to even less confidence, then ultimately to the point where I could not even visualize the contact point on the OB.

I suppose it's the usual: get out of my own head, relax, have fun, take the ride wherever it lands me, and hopefully, doing that will turn the tide.

Old
  (#23)
dquarasr
AzB Bronze Member
dquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond repute

02-26-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigeton View Post
When this happens to me it's usually because I'm not staying down on the shots. I may not be moving much but it's enough to miss. Sometimes I realize it after a couple shots and other times not for a couple of games before I say to myself Hey, you must be jumping up. I don't play on a league anymore, just weekly tournaments so it is sometimes hard to self diagnose. You can have team members watch you and see if your head/body moves on the shot.
Early in the match one of my teammates pointed that out. I stayed down the rest of the night. Didn't help. LOL.

Old
  (#24)
dquarasr
AzB Bronze Member

02-26-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergruven View Post
great question
and I can relate
no great answer here
but an honest one

"keep playing"

I'm finding that the more time I put into pool
the more pool is there for me when I need it

putting some "good luck" in the air for you as well
coz
why not
Thanks for the moral support.

Old
  (#25)
HNTFSH
AzB Silver Member
HNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond repute

Angry 02-26-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Oh, man, that struck a nerve. For whatever reason, I had very little confidence last night that I could make any shot. I'm sure that factored into my extremely poor performance. Then it snowballed. Lack of confidence, inability to make a shot, led to even less confidence, then ultimately to the point where I could not even visualize the contact point on the OB.

I suppose it's the usual: get out of my own head, relax, have fun, take the ride wherever it lands me, and hopefully, doing that will turn the tide.
Ha! Hence the slam home easy shot confidence builder. Step up and shoot. Boom. In my resurgence I've had games whereby I'm sinking the hardest of hard shots and missing the easy ones. It will mess with your head.

Old
  (#26)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

02-26-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
You just started playing in league. It will take a while to get used to it. Any new situation can throw you off.

Practice more. Don't drink during league. Keep numerical track of your progress. Understand how conditions change in the various venues. Get lessons to check on your fundamentals. Read and watch videos and figure out which are useful to you.

The idea is to lift the level of your game so the bad spots won't be as low.

Good post Bob. Get yourself a good instructional DVD, watch it about 10 times. Why 10 times, because first time you only looking, and repeating the process you start noticing what the DVD is teaching.

Same reason the Military use the same process in Boot Camps, Basic Training, build stuff in your mussel memory.

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Old
  (#27)
buckshotshoey
AzB Silver Member
buckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond repute

02-26-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Change cues! I know this sounds trite but believe me when I tell you it will make a difference. Even picking up a house cue is a good alternative when you are feeling this way.

P.S. You're right. It is a "mental" thing and you need to put your mental energy somewhere else. Like getting the feel of a different cue (which surprisingly will feel better than the cue you had been playing with). I don't know why stuff like this works but it does. Even Efren would often change cues in mid match.
You beat me to it! It has helped me many times. Like you said, it's not the cue, it's all in the head. But it does work for me.

To the op.... I'm a 537... well at least last week I was. Had a rough night. Couldn't seem to make a ball. And if I did, I missed position. It sucked. The biggest mistake you can make is dwell on it for too long. I should play a lot better tonight. It happens. The worst thing you can do is add bad energy or bad thoughts to your game.

Forget all the shots you missed. And just think about all the good shots you've made. If you dwell on the bad points, your bad streak will probably continue. Enjoy the game.

Playing cue...OB17EMW OB1+ shaft. Morri hard.
Playing cue...Predator Icon 1-1 ... 314-2 shaft
Morri hard tip
Playing cue...Viking Millennium (VM25)
Everest tip
Jump/break...Players S-PJB5

"Second place is just another way of saying FIRST PLACE LOSER"

Old
  (#28)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

02-26-2020, 10:34 AM

Whatever works. Change cues, have a shot(or two),a lil' killer bud. Whatever.

Old
  (#29)
Boxcar
Banned
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

02-26-2020, 10:42 AM

Identify ONE skill you have that you can trust almost all the time. Then use it, "all the time." When you have total confidence in that one, add ONE more.

Old
  (#30)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

02-26-2020, 11:25 AM

Seriously?? Its called "winning ugly". When you don't have your good stuff you have to just play meat-n-potatos cinch pool. Don't spin whitey as much, play more safeties, make games last longer if needed. The cause is usually something super basic so take your time and focus on your PSR. If these tips don't help go straight to the shots and the weed.

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: