Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Mosconi, happened before I was born and I have no thoughts other than what it was to me growing up; a feat of seemingly incredible skill. Fast forward to now, I have a better view of things skill and craft as well as self promotion and adverteasing hype - as do today's jocks and craftsmen I might add.
And speaking of dead horses, 5" pockets are not an evolution. They veritably render the accomplishment, nothing but a hundred more.

Show me a 100 on a Chinese table. Show me 200 on a 9 foot Russian table cut to better facilitate shots down the rail. This is where current averages should be.

Oh, I got it now. Records only matter when "YOU" were alive. And if someone tries to break a record of someone that is deceased, you believe the table needs to be harder to play on than the old record. lol

Sorry, JS now holds the new official world record. It's over. What you are doing is like complaining about the team that lost the super bowl a few years ago, and saying it's really not official because you believe there was pass interference call, someone was injured and could not play in the game, the wind was blowing too hard, etc etc.

Meanwhile, the winners got their rings, went to a parade, and then got their super bowl checks. Damn, why didn't someone stop them. oh, the humanity.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool at 2x speed is still like watching paint dry. I understand why it could be questioned...because it's Hail Mary time in the Danny camp.

Sent from the future.

Never met DH. Friend of mine is a fan boi and highly recommends Harriman. If it's fraud, I'd be like. kuhl, fraud. And if it's legit, well then the new number is 626.
From an observer standpoint, I'm most concerned with the aesthetics of perfection; not moarer.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Nah, once DH tucked and ran, it was not fun anymore ;) lol

Not as much fun without DH, and Worldpro, and even Lou isn't pontificating as much...without those three, all the steam has dissipated.

Still wondering about the shaved slate. :p

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
As previously mentioned in this thread, John Schmidt gave a showing of the video at

Colleary’s Bistro,
2143 N. Tustin Street, Suite A6 Orange, CA
Sun, March 8th 4:00 – 8:00pm

I flew down around noon and showed up a hour or so early. Jerry and Jan McWorter were helping get the room set up. Colleary's is an up-scale Italian restaurant. I went and got a snack and coffee and came back about 3:30 when people were starting to filter in.

The main dining area was set up with seats mostly facing a large-screen TV. While people were arriving, the TV was showing part of Crane's 150 against Balsis and Pete Smith's film short of Willie Mosconi's life including the five-rail kick shot to beat Andrew Ponzi in the one hole.

The presentation ended up with about 50 in the audience at $50 each. We were lightly encouraged to buy food and drink from the restaurant but it was not required. I skipped the appetizers and went straight to the spaghetti and meat balls.:eek:ink::thumbup2: I'd like to thank the members here who help with expenses.

After a brief introduction we began watching John's 626 from the first shot. Every shot was shown clear through to the miss (a tricky combination with five balls remaining on the table) for shot 627.

There were basically three modes of playback. Some of it was with voice-over that had been added about a month after the run. The voices included John, Jerry, Doug Desmond (who provided major logistical support and racking during the attempts) and I think Lou Sardo.

During other portions the voice-over was turned off and Jerry and John discussed John's playing history, problems in the section of the run we were watching, and other pool-related stuff.

In the third mode the live narration continued but the video was played at 2X speed to save some time. This was roughly from ball 300 to ball 480. It was returned to normal speed before John passed his previous high run of 490 (on a break shot), the even 500, and numbers 526 and 527. We continued to the end at normal speed.

Around 580 was the only shot I would call a little questionable for a normal match shot. It was right after a break and the cue ball was close to the foot rail and near the left foot pocket. There was no obvious direct shot. A three-ball combo to the side was nearly straight but the balls were all spread out. John played a carom off a ball at about the bottom of the rack to hit a ball near the foot rail and about 10 inches from the pocket. As far as a legitimate match shot, I'd say it was 50-50. There may have been a safe with a little dink to freeze the cue ball to the back of a ball, but in that situation, you are not favored to get the first opening.

The shot for 627 (with five balls left on the table) was an off-angle combo near the right side of the rack in a cluster of three balls. Other shots he could have taken were his break ball on the left side of the rack or a ball on the head string near the right rail. (Directions as viewed from the head of the table, which is where the camera was.) It was really a two-ball combo and John said the third ball probably kept him from cutting the first ball enough to make the shot.

There was no mention of an NDA.

Every shot was shown.

I saw no touch fouls and I was looking for them.

Whoever wants to see the run for themselves should follow http://www.hihatentertainment.com/tickets or maybe call the number listed there to find out about future events. That's Jerry and Jan McWorter who are arranging the presentations.

Good enough for me.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Not as much fun without DH, and Worldpro, and even Lou isn't pontificating as much...without those three, all the steam has dissipated.

LOL> Yep. But DH was fuggin hilarious even if he didn't know he was ;)

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We still doing this ? Lol

Pool player's and especially room goers love to chit chat. Seeing how most of us are hunkered down at home, this site will probably be very active for a while.

Thanks to Danny, Lou and a few more, this thread is a big target for conversation.

Jeff

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you miss my "pontificating" *that* much, I'll still allow you to kiss the ring.

Lou Figueroa
pucker up

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL> Yep. But DH was fuggin hilarious even if he didn't know he was ;)

Well, they say the truly insane have no idea they actually are insane.

I think that's what my doc told me....uh, um...I mean a friend's told me that's what his doc told him:smile::eek::eek:uttahere:

Jeff

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you people see the ketchup commercial or not, dammit,

It barely got any comments and I was like...well excuuuUuse me.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Did you people see the ketchup commercial or not, dammit,

It barely got any comments and I was like...well excuuuUuse me.

Hahaha 😂 oh I saw it mine friend, but I think many others did not. I almost didn’t click it. I have a serious aversion to clicking links for some reason. Not security risk type aversion either just something.

A lot of times on here someone will say something and post a link, and it’s an old song or an old movie clip. Something about old TV kills me. Even thinking about it starts to make me feel funny :) I’m a weird dude I guess. But not quite as weird as the awesome ketchup commercial.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That was... odd. Not least because... Sarah Orne Jewett?
A cousin. Several times removed. From a part of the family that was slow to move west. From her Wikipedia bio:

Her mother's family, the Gilmans, were among the most prominent settlers of Exeter, New Hampshire.[1] Sarah's great-grandfather, James Orne, was descended from the Orne family of Dover, New Hampshire, who were among the first settlers of Dover. The Jewetts had emigrated from Yorkshire to Boston in 1638 and later founded Rowley, Massachusetts. From there they moved on to Portsmouth, New Hampshire, just after the Revolutionary War.

My great-great-great-grandfather Joseph left New Hampshire and moved to Ohio. My great grandfather George Enoch moved from Des Moines to California.

Sarah was roughly of the same generation as John Egbert my grandfather.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.