The story behind the Jackot cues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Yes, it is. But, how much is someone willing to pay for a slightly used Schmelke on the open market. They are a great company, but like almost anything you buy, the value goes down, not up. Even custom cues go down after initial purchase. Some may go up later, some will not.

So, I suspect the folks might get $150 on the open market. Maybe $175 if it is still pristine. Maybe even 2 hundo if never played with. Or, they can just wait 30-40 years, and get the full $500.

Anyone want to list one of the JP cues and see how much you get offered by listing it correctly and accurately? I bet nobody will because they know they took a HUGE hit.

We keep saying $500. Weren’t they sold for $600? $100 deposit, $500 at time of delivery?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Yup. I forgot the $500 was the balance after the initial $100.
I believe first batch was $500, second was $600 and if this hadn't been discovered there was probably some here queuing (cueing?) up for a $700 round 3.

Sent from the future.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never seen so many children whine about spending $600.:rolleyes:

Its not like you set it on fire, you have a cue and probably worth about $200.

Geez.
:rolleyes:
Ken

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

Geez.
Ken

I remember you doing some world-class whining of your own a while back when Showman wronged you.

I guess the dollar amount dictates whether a fraud is a whine-able offense. :p

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Geez.
Ken

I have no skin in this game, merely an amused bystander. That having been said, $600 is an awful lot of money for some people. (Like me.) Of course, if you can't afford to lose $600, you shouldn't be spending it on a cue. Which is why I don't. That still doesn't excuse people for misrepresenting the product in the first place...

Good for you that you can throw $600 away (in essence, not in reality, I realize) and not have it hurt. Sorry for anyone that is on the bad end of a deal, be it a cue or anything else.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Geez.
Ken

So, it's totally cool if folks completely misrepresent their cues in the "for sale" section. I can sell Jacoby Schulers but claim I had it personally signed by Ray. I can sell a Players Sneaky Pete but allege it was made by Tim Scruggs? You would have no problem with that.

If he never insinuated they cues were being built by someone else, using someone else's equipment, or that someone else was going to "assist" there would be no problem. What he did was fraud, and it should be called out. And, I'm actually quite qualified in identifying fraud as it just happens to be my career path.

He got caught, it's as simple as that. If folks are this hard up for money, tell Dean I'll send him a hundo. Geez.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does look that way

So, it's totally cool if folks completely misrepresent their cues in the "for sale" section. I can sell Jacoby Schulers but claim I had it personally signed by Ray. I can sell a Players Sneaky Pete but allege it was made by Tim Scruggs? You would have no problem with that.

If he never insinuated they cues were being built by someone else, using someone else's equipment, or that someone else was going to "assist" there would be no problem. What he did was fraud, and it should be called out. And, I'm actually quite qualified in identifying fraud as it just happens to be my career path.

He got caught, it's as simple as that. If folks are this hard up for money, tell Dean I'll send him a hundo. Geez.

I hate when people are quick to call something a crime. However, it does look like Dean lost track of the fact he was typing instead of talking. He doesn't have the deniability that he has talking, especially talking one on one! Afraid Dean really did commit fraud. Big enough and on a wide enough scale that if a prosecutor was bored he could be in a world of hurt. Not likely to happen and I'm not advocating that. Dean's pride and loss of reputation is going to make his little sting sting him a lot worse than anyone else I suspect!

Hu

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't stop laughing. You cannot write a better script.

Some guy buys some cheap ass cues and named them JackPot cues because a friend, Jack Potter, makes them. Hahaha

In past threads he deanoc was talking about how he was going to post pictures of Jack holding these JackPot cues next to his lathe. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D No pictures were ever posted. This was one big scam for 2 months.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I dont know Ken at all either from here or anywhere but i just assumed that post was facetious. If it wasn't well then he is a ....!

Boy, this Forum is turning into a bucket of blood joint.

Dean has been promoting pool, the game we all love
or supposedly so, with passion, sincerity and at times,
even a sense of flair. I participated in 2 Schon Tribute
cue projects, the Bushka I and Bushka II projects with
Jerry R. and Bob Owen, and the Design Your Own Cue
project also with Bob. Speaking personally, each project
was entirely fun, exciting and all of the pool cues turned
out wonderful. I’d do it again in a heartbeat but for the
ivory ban but that’s a horse of an entirely different color.

Dean has also ingenuously come up with the Mystery Cue
offerings and to the best of my recollection, the buyers seem
to be pleased. I don’t see complaints about the cues that the
buyers received. Additionally, there weren’t issues with the many
tribute cue projects either and the buyers were all pleased. I know
that I am thrilled, even actually proud of the pool cues I still have.

Dean came forth & offered an explanation furnishing the background
behind these Jackpot SP cues and for the price, no one is making a
bundle nor getting screwed. Furthermore, the sale proceeds were for
a significantly important, urgent need. So now people with lots of time
on their hands and little better to do want to criticize a really decent
guy all the while Dean’s many former customers remain silent and
unsupportive. Well, not this one & I enjoy reading his threads & posts.

As far as I’m concerned, the Az community is better off because of people
like Dean Campbell and his long history & vast experience with pool, cues,
cue-makers, leather craftsmen, pool table restoration.....the list seems endless.

Matt B.

Okay, I understand now. It may have been a life or death situation to come up with a great idea on how to make some fast cash for a desperately needed cause.

I understand now why none of the Jackpot cue buyers would be complaining, if they thought their purchase helped to fund a desperately needed cause.

It still does not seem right though. Maybe some of those buyers always dreamed of having a Libra cue, and finally thought that they were being offered one.

The money should have been made in a different way, other then a deceitful way.

Like a different poster said, a Gofundme account would have been much better.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Okay, I understand now. It may have been a life or death situation to come up with a great idea on how to make some fast cash for a desperately needed cause.

I understand now why none of the Jackpot cue buyers would be complaining, knowing the cause that their purchase was for.

It still does not seem right though. Maybe some of those buyers always dreamed of having a Libra cue, and finally thought that they were being offered one.

You’re getting advice from the forum’s biggest KIA. Take it with a grain of wtf.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

I understand now why none of the Jackpot cue buyers would be complaining, if they thought their purchase helped to fund a desperately needed cause.

The supposed urgent need developed long after this scheme was conceived and hatched. I'm not going to go onto Jack's private family business but no, this was not dean raising money for a good cause. Did he give Jack or a kid in some faraway country money as an afterthought like he claimed in his short lived edited post...maybe, who knows but let's not confuse the timeline.

Sent from the future.

Last edited:
You're brutal. :D
People who got those TS for $250 or less new and could not resist the temptation of a few dollar profit are kicking themselves now.

Then again I sold my Judd ebony cue and sneaky pete too when I went back to school. :eek:

I sold my Scruggs sneaky pete after only a few days, and maybe 30 minutes of play, because I did not like the taper of the shaft.

Sold it to a player for a $110, who really loved the way it played.

I purchased it directly from Scruggs, for around $175, in the late 90's.

whats a jackot cue and where is this coming from? any pics of the cues?
I found a jackpot cue on google, plain jane, is that it?
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=504540&page=2

edit: ok, I did some research, and it seems to me that a snake salesman took a dozen people for a ride. $100 cue and sold it for $500, made a quick $5K profit on what others saw as a guy with a 100% itrader score. he ruined his rep and killed his business for a quick profit. schmelke is apparently a better cue maker than the reputation they have as a cheap alternative for a custom. people thought they had a better product simply from a name change. all parties involved are dumb, the salesman and the buyer. the only person to come out ahead is schmelke, as they make a pretty good cue after all, if they put a different name on it the cue gets better, lol. I bet they could make a southwest clone, and they would play like a southwest

I disagree. Any solid player would know and feel the difference (in playability) between a high quality custom and a Schmelke.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sold my Scruggs sneaky pete after only a few days, and maybe 30 minutes of play, because I did not like the taper of the shaft.

Sold it to a player for a $110, who really loved the way it played.

I purchased it directly from Scruggs, for around $175, in the late 90's.
What are you playing with now?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I hate when people are quick to call something a crime. However, it does look like Dean lost track of the fact he was typing instead of talking. He doesn't have the deniability that he has talking, especially talking one on one! Afraid Dean really did commit fraud. Big enough and on a wide enough scale that if a prosecutor was bored he could be in a world of hurt. Not likely to happen and I'm not advocating that. Dean's pride and loss of reputation is going to make his little sting sting him a lot worse than anyone else I suspect!

Hu

Yeah, just silly to throw all your good will out the window on something so obviously unethical. And Dean can say what he wants about his distractors here, but I've never said a bad word about Dean until this happened. Not once.

Heck, I almost bought one of them cues. I was in the For Sale forum hunting for a bargain and thought, it's only $500, If I don't like it I could sell it for $400 or use it as a house cue in my basement ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.