Sanding Carbon Fiber

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone tried sanding carbon fiber?? I don't mean to reduce shaft size but just to get a small blemish out of it. I would think that it could be done with progressively finer sandpaper and using it wet. Any thoughts??

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone tried sanding carbon fiber?? I don't mean to reduce shaft size but just to get a small blemish out of it. I would think that it could be done with progressively finer sandpaper and using it wet. Any thoughts??

Try starting with the finer sandpaper wet.

Mario

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Only concern is respiratory!

Getting the carbon fiber out of your lungs is a primary concern.....

Just be careful is all.....

Kd

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

radge69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've done some wet sanding, starting at 1000 and up. It works and cleaned up the look nicely.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put talcum power on your hands and arms, it closes the pores, to reduce particle infection.Wear gloves. You really should be wearing a respirator as well. Carbon dust is very nasty stuff. You can't be too safe in dealing with it.
Depending on the ding, you will be going through the layers. Sometimes it is better to fill with epoxy, and get it all level again. You can add carbon to the epoxy to make it black as well.

mikesan

Registered
I got a dent out of my graphite shaft by spinning it in the lathe and applying pressure with a leather burnisher. Go slow and build up to what works but no more.The heat raised it out completely. There was still a very slight discolroration that would take you a long while to find but absolutly cannot be felt by hand. It also tends to shine the graphite a little so I found a touchup with a Micron paper was necessary to dull it back down to normal.

A note about sandpaper in case you are wondering. Grit is " the number of sharp particles per square inch of sandpaper". A 2000 grit paper has a lot per square inch so normally very small particles but could legally have a few larger ones mixed in and still be called 2000. Those few larger grits can prevent uniform results.
To get the best results, Micron paper is more consistent. It is rated by the max size of the individual particles. It can be purchased at the auto parts store.

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all your help. I have done some sanding with good results. Using a respirator and wet sandpaper. It comes up good and the area sanded can not be seen.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My arms itched for two days after sanding and cutting carbon fiber. My shop long sleeve shirt had to be washed. Very nasty stuff. The shaft is great for breaking and jumping but weak on the draw shot.