Schon cues??

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
Has Schon cues always been a production cue? If not then when did they become production?

Cardinal_Syn

Julz
Silver Member
This is straight from their website
"Schon Custom Cues came into existence in 1981 and we have been at our Burnham St. location since 1986. We have a miniscule output , sometimes going 2 weeks without actually finishing any cues. I frequently hear the all knowing term “production cue” applied to our cues with an implied sneer. The fact is that we are one of the oldest custom cuemakers in the world with a total staff today of 5 people. I personally design, finish and test every cue myself. Everyone here is a full time craftsman, not telemarketers or corporate hypsters. The only thing we do is make cues...Evan Clarke 1-11-05"

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
This is an 80s Schon.

Attachments

• R series Schon 002.jpg
    R series Schon 002.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 515

Gramps

Pool Room Owner
Silver Member
This is my Schon cue. It was one of the first 100 cues they made and I understand they were made as a test to be sold in their local area and find out how they would be responded to. I was told it was probably made in 1979 and has been in my hands since 1984. I bought the cue from Barry Watson who owned "Goodtimes Billiards" in Asheville, N.C. and Barry told me that it was once owned by Grady Mathews before him. I showed it to Grady about ten years later and although he remembered owning a cue like it, (and Grady always praised Schon Cues) he couldn't confirm it was actually the one he had at one time. I still play with this cue almost every day although my primary playing cue for matches and tournaments is my custom Richard Black cue. This Schon is like any other Schon cue. I have played with $200.00 Schon's and $1,000.00 Schon's and they all hit equally as well. I have turned down a few $500.00 offers to buy this cue. It's just too good to let go ! Although one shaft has a ivory ferrule and the other has the original micarta ferrule, I can't tell any difference in their hit.

Attachments

• schon_cue1.jpg
    schon_cue1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 425
  • schon_cue2.jpg
    schon_cue2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 422
  • schon_cue3.jpg
    schon_cue3.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 430

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member
custom cue is a very subjective term but to me it has a specific meaning. Schon does make custom made to order cues for people who want to specify what they want in a cue. They also make cues to their specs for sale to anyone who wants one. This is the same as any cue maker who calls heir cues custom. For me the first example is a custom cue that is one that is built for me to my specs and since schon will do that they are a custom cue builder. I would further say that a schon built for me to my specs is more a custom cue than a gina built to general specs then purchased by someone. just my opinion no dog in this fight i played with schons for years great cues my last one is now my breaker after adding a 13.25 joss shaft with samsara tip.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Schon Custom Cues came into existence in 1981 and we have been at our Burnham St. location since 1986. We have a miniscule output , sometimes going 2 weeks without actually finishing any cues. I frequently hear the all knowing term “production cue” applied to our cues with an implied sneer. The fact is that we are one of the oldest custom cuemakers in the world with a total staff today of 5 people. I personally design, finish and test every cue myself. Everyone here is a full time craftsman, not telemarketers or corporate hypsters. The only thing we do is make cues...Evan Clarke 1-11-05"

Good post...right to the point

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

:thumbup:

JOSS could say the same thing, except when Schon says they are one of the oldest, they aren't even close.

The whole thing is very subjective, but IMHO Schon is not a "production cue", neither is JOSS. McDermott, Meucci, Viking, and Schmelke are production shops (just to cover the bigger US names). I didn't mention or try to categorize Mali only because they are no more.

A friend of mine was in the market for a cue last year. After talking to a cue dealer he told me he wouldn't buy a JOSS because they are Asian made. He wanted a US made custom cue. Of course I told him not so, that all JOSS were made in Maryland by Dan and his son....but he believed the "dealer". Instead he bought a Mezz....... :confused::confused::confused:

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member
:thumbup:

JOSS could say the same thing, except when Schon says they are one of the oldest, they aren't even close.

The whole thing is very subjective, but IMHO Schon is not a "production cue", neither is JOSS. McDermott, Meucci, Viking, and Schmelke are production shops (just to cover the bigger US names). I didn't mention or try to categorize Mali only because they are no more.

A friend of mine was in the market for a cue last year. After talking to a cue dealer he told me he wouldn't buy a JOSS because they are Asian made. He wanted a US made custom cue. Of course I told him not so, that all JOSS were made in Maryland by Dan and his son....but he believed the "dealer". Instead he bought a Mezz....... :confused::confused::confused:

now that is funny guess he didnt know where the U.S. is or we have annexed a new state oh thats right i almost forgot when obama was campaigning he said he visited all 57 states so that must be it.

Last edited: