Friend VS Friend

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Do you gamble with your friends? Friendly amounts aside it's still money.

I have a friend I gamble with quite a bit. I keep playing him because I keep loosing. I can not seem to develop the killer attitude with him that I can with others. I value the friendship more than the friendly amounts we play for, so I keep loosing. Maybe when money is involved we have no friends. I can play pretty close to him except when against him.

How do the rest of you deal with it?

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to play for friendly stakes with my friends, i.e. drinks, small amounts of cash, etc. We always have fun. I like "1 & 2" ring games personally.

Shaky1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, just small amounts. You have to play for something or you wind up with a don't care attitude and miss too many easy shots. imo

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would play a friend (for small amounts of money) if he was better than me.

If I am the better player (and I'm better than my friends) I would not play for money, because I feel awkward about collecting it from them, and I dont want them to avoid playing me. In this situation, playing for a beer at most would be OK.

bankshotbo

Ex-Pat
Silver Member
Every time I play with most of my friends I play down so they will keep playing.

I only had a few friends in my life who would actually battle it out and we never bet. Money can screw things up between friends.

We would play for beers or rounds but that was it.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chump change

A buck or two to cover table time. A round on the loser. Low stakes only. Money can ruin a friendship no matter how strong or important it is.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To see who was buying the next round of drinks. That is about as far as it goes. I have no desire to take their money.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont do it!

Gambling with friends is the quickest way to end a friendship. I'm not talking about pool time or a beer, I'm talking about gambling. If the amount is anything above something you can both laugh about, dont do it..., it can change the relationship real fast and forever..,

Been there, Done that.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gamble with friends golfing so why not pool.

I met a guy one time that owned a bar with some tables. We got to talking pool and he told me some of his gambling stories. In fact, that night was his usual game with his "good" friend. He tells me to watch what he does because he is going to lose in the beginning, pretend to be hammered, and then raise the stakes and win. His "friend" is a wealthy guy so the three or four hundred he loses every Tuesday doesn't hurt, but he has NEVER walked out a winner. I watched his routine and damn if it doesn't go just like he said. He let the guy beat him in 9 ball and then take the lead in straight pool only to have the bar owner make a nice run to win. I wouldn't do that to a friend.

Cardinal_Syn

Julz
Silver Member
I usually play for beers or drinks/dinner with no monetery value. Poker all gloves are off lol. A friendly bet is a friendly bet. If you're having to sweat out the game then it's not friendly anymore and could lead to something else.....not worth it.

9 on the snap

Budweiser fears me
Silver Member
I gamble with my friends, and have forever without any problems. They are mature well adjusted, and can afford to gamble. That is why they are my friends. They realize being up or down at the end of the night is part of the deal, and they always bring enough cash to settle it. They enjoy action as much as I do. This is the life we chose after all.

Dannydizzan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have, but I don't recommend it. Usually if me and my friends are the only ones in the pool room, we don't gamble each other, we go look for a game.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It varies from person to person.

I have some friends I know don't want to gamble, so I won't even bother them for a ring game.

Some I'm happy playing cheap ring games or a couple bucks a game with a group, but don't play head to head. In particular, I don't usually gamble for anything significant with my teammates.

Some people I'm friends with really enjoy playing a $10-$20 set from time to time, and nobody goes home mad at that rate. I prefer doing this with people that play about my speed with no spot, but will give a weaker player a spot if they ask to gamble. I can't remember the last time someone spotted me anything except in a tournament; that's not to say I'm that strong a player, just that most players above my level that gamble don't want to play cheap and I don't like receiving a spot.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
metallicane...Wealthy or not, that guy is no friend of the bar owner. The proof is that he "cheats" to win, by flat out hustling the guy, time after time. A friend doesn't do that to another friend...even if they are wealthy. A real friend would try to make a better game, so the lesser player had a chance to win. JMO

If I gamble with friends, it's usually for who buys dinner...everybody wins!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I gamble with friends golfing so why not pool.

I met a guy one time that owned a bar with some tables. We got to talking pool and he told me some of his gambling stories. In fact, that night was his usual game with his "good" friend. He tells me to watch what he does because he is going to lose in the beginning, pretend to be hammered, and then raise the stakes and win. His "friend" is a wealthy guy so the three or four hundred he loses every Tuesday doesn't hurt, but he has NEVER walked out a winner. I watched his routine and damn if it doesn't go just like he said. He let the guy beat him in 9 ball and then take the lead in straight pool only to have the bar owner make a nice run to win. I wouldn't do that to a friend.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you gamble with your friends? Friendly amounts aside it's still money.

I have a friend I gamble with quite a bit. I keep playing him because I keep loosing. I can not seem to develop the killer attitude with him that I can with others. I value the friendship more than the friendly amounts we play for, so I keep loosing. Maybe when money is involved we have no friends. I can play pretty close to him except when against him.

How do the rest of you deal with it?

I don't gamble with friends for the simple reason that I can't bear down when playing them. Especially with friends I've taught. I don't like to play them in tournaments either, if possible.

little willie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if i play friends its for the table time or a drink lost a couple of friends gambleing with them when i beat them they got mad and tried to shoot me heck its not worth all that