Stolen league money

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
I do not personally know this LO, and i don't care if he's a candidate for Sainthood, either he's involved or he hasn't the skills and/or integrity to run a lemonade stand.

JMHO.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the LO owes you enough money that you want it then take him to smail claims court (be sure to charge him for every stamp, envelope and mile you drive in taking to court) and get a judgement against him. If he doesn't pay then put a lien on any assets he has like his home. It may take a while, but he can't sell his house without paying the judgement first.

are you sure you can charge expenses in small claims court?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m surprised most LOs do not register a separate business entity to conduct league business. This would protect everyone’s interest.

Would subject them to taxation. Though it would protect them from liability.

To the OP....how are the local league players responding? Imagine they gotta be super pissed.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
are you sure you can charge expenses in small claims court?

You will win easily in small claims. Costs like 10 bucks to file. You win if he no shows and you need to prove your case more likely than he does. What is his response going to be? He is liable period.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the OP....how are the local league players responding? Imagine they gotta be super pissed.

On the public forum it seems to be mostly supportive, and sympathetic to him for his house being burglarized. All private communication that I’ve witnessed is much more angry and hateful.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the public forum it seems to be mostly supportive, and sympathetic to him for his house being burglarized. All private communication that I’ve witnessed is much more angry and hateful.

Either way. He is liable so he should be telling everyone how he is going to pay the money. Sell something.

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I wouldn't mind seeing a link to the Facebook page.

I’ve seen the initial form that was provided when the police responded. Not much detail. I’ve called the police department twice to get more info, both times I hung up after 10 rings. I’ll try again.

Keep trying.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the LO had business insurance covering theft then the story could have a better ending.

Also, without registering as a business the LO is exposing his/her personal assets to lawsuits and claims.

That's only if you incorporate your business. I could see incorporating a for-profit APA league, but no one in their right mind would ever incorporate a not-for-profit BCAPL league. The fees to do so can run several hundred dollars, and it's not worth the time and effort of the paperwork. Anyways, just about every league IS registered as a business. In order to get a business bank account you have to have a tax ID number. But having that provides absolutely no protection to your personal property from lawsuits.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

IMO, someone needs to be that guy in the public forum.
It can be as simply as asking him:
Do you realize how shady this looks?
Does he realize that his LO manual recommends the funds be in a bank?
How he plans to prevent this from repeating with the next $19k he holds?
Sympathetic my A$$, it needs to be uncomfortable, it's not his money he lost but it was certainly his responsibility to secure it.
Everyone is thinking it, someone needs to say it...

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, someone needs to be that guy in the public forum.
It can be as simply as asking him:
Do you realize how shady this looks?
Does he realize that his LO manual recommends the funds be in a bank?
How he plans to prevent this from repeating with the next $19k he holds?
Sympathetic my A$$, it needs to be uncomfortable, it's not his money he lost but it was certainly his responsibility to secure it.
Everyone is thinking it, someone needs to say it...

There have definitely been a few who’ve asked “why wasn’t the money in the bank”? No one has outright accused him of stealing it, but a few have subtly accused him of extreme negligence, which he has already acknowledged.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
nothings going to happen as long as the most vocal guy wont even drive down to the police station and expects to get any info or results with a phone call.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will win easily in small claims. Costs like 10 bucks to file. You win if he no shows and you need to prove your case more likely than he does. What is his response going to be? He is liable period.

somebody mentioned including mileage and other expenses in small Claims court- That was the ONLY thing i questioned-tacking on expenses to the suit. I myself am undefeated in small claims court. The limit for small claims is or recently was $5k so all the members would have to file separately then.

Last edited:

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
19000 = 190 x $100 bills
19000 = 380 x $50 bills
19000 = 950 x $20 bills
19000 = 1900 x $10 bills
19000 = 3800 x $5 bills

Point is no small safe could hold that kind of cash " physically"

Second, the money was given in small denominations!

Third, even a moron would notice that the safe was filling up and realize that this is a safety issue.

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nothings going to happen as long as the most vocal guy wont even drive down to the police station and expects to get any info or results with a phone call.

I hope you’re not referring to me. I’m actually one of the most silent people about the issue. I have already chalked it up to a loss. My team won the league, so I was due my share of that, I earned the 2nd place overall individual shooter bonus, and 1st place “table run” bonus. I was going to take more of that money than anyone. I’m just not the type of person that gets stressed out over something like this. I’m disappointed for sure, but legal action is not worth my time and energy. The extent of my wasted energy on this will be a phone call (or three) to make sure a report was filed with the same info he gave us, and this thread.

Some people are claiming they needed this money to buy groceries, etc. if that’s true, they shouldn’t be playing in a pool league. I can live just fine without this money, it just sucks a little.

Edited to add: the police department is about an hour from my house, the Phoenix area is kinda big.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
19000 = 190 x $100 bills
19000 = 380 x $50 bills
19000 = 950 x $20 bills
19000 = 1900 x $10 bills
19000 = 3800 x $5 bills

Point is no small safe could hold that kind of cash " physically"

Second, the money was given in small denominations!

Third, even a moron would notice that the safe was filling up and realize that this is a safety issue.

Kd

Agreed, there are a few cases where someone puts in a $50 bill and takes the small bills. Even fewer cases where I have to break a $100 bill for change. It is a pile of 20s, 10s, 5s and a crazy amount of 1s...
Of course a "Small Safe" could be as large as a Ice Cooler that could still be carried away... Assuming that is what happened.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope you’re not referring to me. I’m actually one of the most silent people about the issue. I have already chalked it up to a loss. My team won the league, so I was due my share of that, I earned the 2nd place overall individual shooter bonus, and 1st place “table run” bonus. I was going to take more of that money than anyone. I’m just not the type of person that gets stressed out over something like this. I’m disappointed for sure, but legal action is not worth my time and energy. The extent of my wasted energy on this will be a phone call (or three) to make sure a report was filed with the same info he gave us, and this thread.

Some people are claiming they needed this money to buy groceries, etc. if that’s true, they shouldn’t be playing in a pool league. I can live just fine without this money, it just sucks a little.

Edited to add: the police department is about an hour from my house, the Phoenix area is kinda big.
In most league cases, the top 1/3 would be receiving the lion's share so they are the most affected.
IMO, the issues is less about the actual money but more about the stupidity, prevention and/or potential BS in the first place.
Again, regardless of the LO involvement or lack of involvement; someone knew this was the time/place...and of course, this "someone" is still in the picture.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member

Any response from the BCAPL headquarters ?

Or

Is it " no comment" still?

Kd